PeterPanettone

Parnassus Bookmarks for Delphi 11 Alexandria?

21 hours ago, Uwe Raabe said:

weed out all the things itching

Well, that would be nice, but the reality is that we will still be scratching ourselves after a release.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lars Fosdal said:

Well, that would be nice, but the reality is that we will still be scratching ourselves after a release.

Yeah, I know. Unfortunately one can only do so much as a beta tester, but the results are nevertheless far from doing nothing. One really has a chance to make a change.

• Like 2

Well, 11.1 is out. I'm about ready to install it on my test system. Will the much desired Parnassus offering be there?

In the meantime, I don't see anything obvious in this feature & fix list: https://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Alexandria/en/New_features_and_customer_reported_issues_fixed_in_RAD_Studio_11.1 . Did I miss it?

After installing 11.1 I looked for something in GetIt for Parnassus Bookmarks - nada. Where is it?

Perhaps I'm missing something really obvious but after my installation of 11.1 (Professional) it looks like it is MIA.

7 hours ago, PeterPanettone said:

Do you have reliable information?

Unfortunately it's not allowed to talk about plans on the Delphi product.

12 hours ago, Ian Branch said:

The question was asked repeatedly on the Webinar.  It is coming...

Like on sleigh in the summer:classic_wacko:

30 days on, and it appears all's quiet on the bookmarks front.

Did I miss something or is it still waiting to be corrected?

• Sad 3

I'm still waiting here too for the long-promised bookmarks feature to become available again.

In the absence of clear, honest communication from EMB, I'm assuming that their management has decided to allocate resources to other issues rather than to fix current bugs.  This would be considered a failure in most professional development organizations.

EMB management has also apparently decided to conceal from their customers that they have made this decision and why.

If we can't trust EMB to make good decisions and to communicate honestly with us on small issues like this, I fear we can't trust them on anything.

Delphi continues to suffer from a thousand cuts like this one.  

• Sad 2

It would be a dream if EMB would just opensource bookmarks, it would be a better PR experience than this long thread. I would not mind to build the dll myself.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sherlock said:

This is really saddening.

My comment on Marco's blog got posted. But unfortunately he did not provide an answer. Even a "sorry, I cannot give any answer at the moment" would be preferable to the deafening silence of no response at all. That is also saddening. 

I skipped version 11.0 but I am using 11.1 now. Of course, one can program without the Parnassus plugins, but I do miss it.

Greetings,

Fons

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fons N said:

Of course, one can program without the Parnassus plugins, but I do miss it.

It seems that these plugins don't have a high enough priority to get the necessary resources attached. It is expected that there will be High DPI issues. As there are still plenty of similar issues in the IDE, I can understand which ones they target first.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

What would happen if they released a version with only 96 DPI support. I think that would be enough for many developers.

• Like 1

The plugins are integrated in the IDE and thus inherited the DPI support of the IDE. Although there are ways to make mixed DPI happen, that still needs developer capacity to implement.

Too bad my secret dreams aren't coming true.

2 hours ago, Uwe Raabe said:

It seems that these plugins don't have a high enough priority to get the necessary resources attached

Agreed. But they could also survey the features used and trim the stack of items that need to work.
My top annoyance with the built in bookmarks is that I overwrite them when I use the key strokes.  And yes I am tempted to write my own stack history to track this and shuffle accordingly, but I think the implementation in the Parnassus plugin was good so I hold out.

3 hours ago, Uwe Raabe said:

The plugins are integrated in the IDE and thus inherited the DPI support of the IDE. Although there are ways to make mixed DPI happen, that still needs developer capacity to implement.

The easiest solution for that would be to disable the plugin if the IDE was not started with /highdpi:unaware and document that restriction.

That would help those who miss the plugin but can live without high dpi support in the IDE. Of course there would still be a lot of moaning about this but maybe less than about the total absence of this plugin and any communication about the reason for that.

(But that's not going to happen anyway ...)

• Like 4

19 hours ago, dummzeuch said:

The easiest solution for that would be to disable the plugin if the IDE was not started with /highdpi:unaware and document that restriction.

The newest idea is that the delay has nothing to do with HighDPI but some code integration change. I have no idea why would that delay the release as they still plan to provide it through GetIt.

1 minute ago, Lajos Juhász said:

The newest idea is that the delay has nothing to do with HighDPI but some code integration change.

I've heard that it's a special integration operation and that everything is going according to plan. Nothing to see here. Move along.

• Haha 6
  • Sad 1

Hey dev mates, at the end of the day... who cares anymore! I just got used to use native simple bookmarks again and for me that's enough. They are saved even in furhter work session, even closing the IDE (but not if you close the unit), so for me is enough. Not the optimum solution like the Parnassus ones, but whatever. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Silver Black said:

native simple bookmarks

Sure, sometimes I use Notepad++ bookmarks and its Editor.. 🙂

• Like 1