PeterPanettone

Parnassus Bookmarks for Delphi 11 Alexandria?

9 minutes ago, FredS said:

Sure, sometimes I use Notepad++ bookmarks and its Editor.. 🙂

I'm a casual user of NPP and wasn't aware it could some how solve this little problem.

Please, how are you using NPP to get around the Parnassus bookmarking facility problem?

btw: GExperts has had a Bookmarks Expert for some time. It shows a list of active bookmarks (the standard bookmarks of the IDE) with some context.

Not much in comparison to Parnassus Bookmarks, but maybe it helps to lessen the pain for some.

29 minutes ago, dummzeuch said:

btw: GExperts has had a Bookmarks Expert for some time. It shows a list of active bookmarks (the standard bookmarks of the IDE) with some context.

Not much in comparison to Parnassus Bookmarks, but maybe it helps to lessen the pain for some.

Thanks for that feedback. I should look at what GExperts offers. Was that something from the initial offering or did you add that when you took over support?

I guess what I am irritated with is the lack of communication and responsiveness by EMBT.

As it is now, I use Parnassas without having to think about it. The change to another paradigm would be a disruption. Programming/debugging is enough of a challenge without having to slow down to think about how to do things in the IDE.

</rant>

Edited by DJof SD
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DJof SD said:

I guess what I am irritated with is the lack of communication and responsiveness by EMBT.

There is no lack of communication in this case. Every time someone asks this question in a Q&A session they give some answer. 

8 hours ago, dummzeuch said:

I added it around the time I heard about Parnassus Bookmarks, just to see what can be done with standard OTAPI functions.

https://blog.dummzeuch.de/2016/01/09/experimental-gexperts-version-1-38-2016-01-09-released/

Really, all that is missing from this GExperts expert is mapping the CTRL-B to add a new bookmark (or if your on a bookmark already just remove it), and the concept of a bookmark stack (the ctrl-shift-b to drop a temporary bookmark, and escape to pop the bookmark stack, shift-escape would swap the current position for the last position).  There was some custom drawing of the bookmark stack into the editor, which is possibly why we haven't seen it updated to Delphi 11.1 yet?

• Like 1

My favorite and most used feature of the Parnassus plugin is in the Navigator plugin with it's Go To Shortcut. With a default hotkey of Ctrl+G, it drops a stack-based bookmark, incrementally searches as you type a destination, jumps there once you select it, then Escape takes you right back. I'm often going up to the implementation section to add a unit to the uses clause and then want to continue where I was at. This is a huge productivity boost for me.

Most of my development is still in 10.4.2 but I know there are other IDE plugins and shortcuts that could get me close if I move on to D11. Or I could try and remember the built-in keys that do the same thing:

• Drop a stack-based bookmark: Ctrl+K, Ctrl+G
  • Go to the Navigation Toolbar for Sections: Ctrl+Alt+N, Ctrl+Alt+S
  • Pick up the stack-based bookmark: Ctrl+Q, Ctrl+G

YUCK!

References:

51 minutes ago, corneliusdavid said:

... Or I could try and remember the built-in keys that do the same thing: ...

Or use something like AutoHotkey and remap them to your favourite hotkeys...

1 hour ago, Steven Kamradt said:

Really, all that is missing from this GExperts expert is mapping the CTRL-B to add a new bookmark (or if your on a bookmark already just remove it), and the concept of a bookmark stack (the ctrl-shift-b to drop a temporary bookmark, and escape to pop the bookmark stack, shift-escape would swap the current position for the last position).  There was some custom drawing of the bookmark stack into the editor, which is possibly why we haven't seen it updated to Delphi 11.1 yet?

As always, I'm accepting patches. I currently haven't got the time to implement this myself.

Maybe, since to many people seem to want this feature, you could pool some money and even pay somebody to implement it.

• Like 1

Bookmarks and Navigator are now here:

and

https://blogs.embarcadero.com/bookmarks-and-navigator-are-available-for-rad-studio-11/

The blog post has full info but a couple of notes:

• We have set up systems so this build delay should not happen again
  • They are available for both 11.0 and 11.1
  • The Debugger plugin is also coming within a few days

Many thanks for your patience here, and I hope you find installing these helps your productivity and use of the IDE.

• Thanks 9

19 minutes ago, David Millington said:

Great :classic_biggrin: Thanks :classic_cheerleader:

Greetings,

Fons

• Like 1

On 4/26/2022 at 8:51 AM, corneliusdavid said:

My favorite and most used feature of the Parnassus plugin is in the Navigator plugin with it's Go To Shortcut. With a default hotkey of Ctrl+G, it drops a stack-based bookmark, incrementally searches as you type a destination, jumps there once you select it, then Escape takes you right back. I'm often going up to the implementation section to add a unit to the uses clause and then want to continue where I was at. This is a huge productivity boost for me.

FYI: There's similar functionality built into the IDE.  Use CTRL-SHIFT and UP-ARROW and DOWN-ARROW to jump back and forth between the current method in the implementation and interface section. 

Edited by Tom F

28 minutes ago, Tom F said:

FYI: There's similar functionality built into the IDE.  Use CTRL-SHIFT-C to jump back and forth between the current method in the implementation and interface section. 

That's not similar at all. Ctrl+Shift+C is Class Completion; use Alt+UpArrow or Alt+DownArrow to jump between implementation and interface of a method. Neither of those are what I was describing.

Just now, corneliusdavid said:

That's not similar at all. Ctrl+Shift+C is Class Completion; use Alt+UpArrow or Alt+DownArrow to jump between implementation and interface of a method. Neither of those are what I was describing.

Ooops. My bad. You're absolutely right. II've fix my erroneous post. 

(Funny how things can be so well embedded in rote "muscle-memory" but not so well embedded in verbal memory.)

I've installed Parnassus Bookmarks now in Delphi 11.1 from GetIt. The installation worked, but the RESTART action failed:

image.thumb.png.45239af5309a57d6bf7559f328a7e6ab.png

After that, I had to kill the BDS process in Task Manager. After restarting the IDE, Bookmarks now works flawlessly.

Thank you Embarcadero!

Edited by PeterPanettone
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

The installation worked, but the RESTART action failed

The same happened when I installed Navigator.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, David Millington said:

and

https://blogs.embarcadero.com/bookmarks-and-navigator-are-available-for-rad-studio-11/

The blog post has full info but a couple of notes:

• We have set up systems so this build delay should not happen again
  • They are available for both 11.0 and 11.1
  • The Debugger plugin is also coming within a few days

Many thanks for your patience here, and I hope you find installing these helps your productivity and use of the IDE.

Thanks for posting this update. I don't know if there is some other way to discover changes other than this forum and the occasional BLOG post from Marco -- IOW, this thread is my only source of info about the BM issue.

As a matter of curiosity, does that change to the build process mean that the bookmarks feature is now fully integrated into the IDE?

• Like 1

FWIW.

I'm always curious to know what changes when fixes are installed. In this instance, just the code and for both the debugger and Parnassus bookmark patches.

After both updates for my Professional edition, the Help About version information did not change -- both before and after was V28.0.44500.8973. And that is likely expected.

Drilling a little deeper, there was differences when looking at the Help About Version Information along with the addition of a line in the Installed Products list.

The details: again, this is for Professional (though I'd expect the other two editions would be the same). Here's some difference reports from a simple examination of the IDE Help About Version Information and the Windows Program Files (x86) directory and subdirectories -- no effort to look at either the registry or other folders. The Windows folder information was obtained by using Karen's Directory Printer saved to a file (both a before and after updates) and then using Beyond Compare to examine the differences and to generate a differences report. (Ya, I know, anal retentive).

rpt06C08.htm

rptE3EAB.htm

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stéphane Wierzbicki said:

Do you have any expert installed ? (Mmx code explorer or GExpert)

Yes, both. BUT, as I said: The installation was OK. The crash occurred when RESTARTING THE IDE only by clicking on the "Restart now" button provided by the installer.

There must be some other failure because the IDE RESTART failed on other occasions before too after installing something from GetIt which required a restart. So it's the IDE RESTART procedure that fails under specific conditions.

Just now, PeterPanettone said:

There must be some other failure because the IDE RESTART failed on other occasions before too after installing something from GetIt which required a restart. So it's the IDE RESTART procedure that fails under specific conditions.

FWIW I haven't installed Bookmarks nor navigator plugins right now. I'll next week. 

If the same issue happens I will try to uninstall all experts, start Delphi and reinstall Bookmarks and navigator through Getit to see how it will behave.

I'll keep informed.

2 minutes ago, Stéphane Wierzbicki said:

uninstall all experts

I don't think that other installed experts are the cause of the restart failure. It must be something different.

Bookmarks installed.  The restart had a failure but closing & restarting all fine now.

2 hours ago, Ian Branch said:

The restart had a failure

Can you describe that failure? Do you have a screenshot? Windows version?