PeterPanettone

Floating Form Designer option gone in Delphi Alexandria?

Previous versions of the IDE had the option to get a FLOATING FORM DESIGNER by deactivating the Embedded designer option:

image.thumb.png.2199cb0586c4d8df8ca2d3dd13877f57.png

But this option seems to have been removed in Delphi Alexandria:

image.thumb.png.b7bf0a2605c085b6ad1386bc4627d55e.png

WHY???

15 minutes ago, Attila Kovacs said:

I googled it for you

Thanks for googling, but this only reveals wrong Embarcadero design decisions: While the Floating Form Designer in previous IDE versions was PERSISTENT between sessions (meaning that the Floating Form Designer was saved as a part of the IDE Desktop and being restored after an IDE restart) this is not the case in Delphi 11 Alexandria and it still has bugs:

Select a TButton control in the floating second editor showing the Form Designer, then focus the button in the Structure panel, then focus the embedded editor showing the Code Editor, then select the Button Event handler in the Object Inspector and double-click it and you get this error message:

image.thumb.png.36a323c4ad44742707f21ab651044e90.png

This means that the communication between the Editors does not work. This means that this whole feature of the "Second Editor"  has not been tested and is HALF-BAKED and IMMATURE. Why do they release such half-baked features?

I believe they have a certain economic pressure to release a number of new features for each new version. But at the same time, maybe they don't have the resources to thoroughly test these new features. So I see a two-fold problem: First, the economic pressure is part of the general economic situation in the US which is characterized by impending hyperinflation. On the other hand, a better allocation and distribution of resources may help.

11 hours ago, SteveB42 said:

We have fixed all code to 10.3.2, and NO maintenance renewals, until they fix this, if ever.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that.  They made the intentional decision to remove the Floating Designer in 10.4.1.  It is gone.  I don't see them ever adding it back in, they want people to use the docked editor instead.  But, as the blog article explained, you can still have multiple editors open, across multiple monitors.

hahaha This is the reason i switch back to my lovely delphi 5.
two things are missing for delphi 5 the first is the generic librabry which is not problem because you can has  mystringlist.addobject()  and problem is solved and the second is the Json support which is also no problem because you can parse it manual.
Someone must tell to this programmers to install delphi 3,4,5 and see the interface.
when you want to write code you do not want funcy images to display OR they sould put an option to Remove all this BS themes they add.
is like OS those days they change them images and they resel something as new.
One more reason to switch to Lazarus for Moblile development.
Delphi Sucks any more. No Good.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1