Jacek Laskowski

Delphi, be better!

1 hour ago, Stefan Glienke said:

a proper beta in my book is software that is feature complete but not completely tested. 

Very good. But what if feature X keeps failing the tests and some deadline keeps getting closer? It will be eliminated from the release unless it is a core feature everything else is based on.

They really need to FIRST fix all these nasty bugs, you know, the one who are complaining for more a decade now.

After fxing all this bug I'll be glad to get such emails : "Please Provide Your Feedback: RAD Studio January 2019 Survey"

44 minutes ago, Sherlock said:

Very good. But what if feature X keeps failing the tests and some deadline keeps getting closer? It will be eliminated from the release unless it is a core feature everything else is based on.

You don't do that - you build the core feature early enough and have it in a state to not have it failing when everything else is based upon it.

• Like 4

Right. Core features are all there. But the syntactic candy, and some other stuff was eliminated because it would not work correctly. It is high time to release a major version with bug fixes and necessary features (demanded by supported OSes) only. Consolidate the base. Regain trust.

I don't care about inlining or other cosmetics I want a stable and reliable package, that lets me have results - fast. I simply don't have the time to learn new language features and how to bypass problems that may or may not occur because of them with every new release. After all, I have to spam in Delphi forums...and then work a little.

No matter how you like new releases each year or not, but they are imminent, because lots of bug fixes require interface changes in units, and this means new release. Alternate solution would be huge code refactoring, that breaks lots of existing code, but makes interface changes less necessary in future.