David Schwartz

enable/disable the internet connection?

1 hour ago, Attila Kovacs said:

What the heck are you talking about, linux since 10 years and you are asking for an "API"?

Where is an API to do that under linux?

Take a powershell and write your scripts like in linux.

You have me confused with the original poster, @David Schwartz.

• Thanks 1

Just an observation.  I've been on Windows 10 for a few years now, and I don't recognize this "Windows keeps downloading stuff".  Once a month, there are patches - and staying patched is generally a good idea. 

As long as you are on Windows Pro or Enterprise, you have control over WHEN you want the patching to happen, unless your company has overriding policies - in which case you need to butt heads with the IT department to get them adapted to your needs. If you are using Windows Home, you need an upgrade.

Disabling/Enabling your network connection on the PC to avoid patching seems like the wrong solution, because you really need that working connection to get work done. If you really need to block something, do it in a firewall rule.  Most routers can do that.

• Like 2

I think the arguments we are discussing are a bit confusing: the title of the topic was "enable / disable the internet connection" and not how, why and when to update Windows.

Now we are talking about all but nothing ....

Bye

I don't recognize this "Windows keeps downloading stuff".  Once a month, there are patches - and staying patched is generally a good idea. 

I suspect the OP (David Schwartz) has a very old Win10 that was doing many unwanted things by that time.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, FPiette said:

has a very old Win10

He was in ~10 reboot distance to his goal. 🙂

Edited by Attila Kovacs

17 hours ago, FPiette said:

I suspect the OP (David Schwartz) has a very old Win10 that was doing many unwanted things by that time.

If you consider "2 weeks" as "old".  It's constantly updating itself, I can't see how it can be "old".

I don't use it every day but it seems to want to restart every couple of weeks. This is the virus calld "MSWindows10" that never sleeps for more than 10 minutes.

It's my own copy running in a VM. It's isolated from everything, and if it blows up I just restore it from backup. I don't want no stink'n updates! They tend to screw things up while doing absolutely nothing to make my work any better.

There are no corporate policies at work here. But the past few places I've worked who provided me with laptops rebooted weekly, sometimes multiple times a week, installing stuff. I never had a say in any of that.

This one's mine, and I don't like that it's constantly doing stuff without telling me what's going on. Windows 7 rarely did this.

I'm a developer, and I don't like having maintenance done on the building while I'm working in it just because someone somewhere reported a problem in a similar building.

There are enough instablities in Delphi! I don't need OS stuff getting replaced that leads to other problems that sideline me for hours tracking them down.

Edition    Windows 10 Pro
Version    20H2
Installed on    ‎10/‎14/‎2021
OS build    19042.1288
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

Edited by David Schwartz
  • Like 1

I have systems with identical software and always latest Windows 10.
Slowness/hanging is noticeable only on systems with single harddisk and no SSD.
The harddisk can get fully occupied by system activities and thus blocks user processes, very annoying.
System updates are configured postponed and  MS Store app updates are set to be manual,
but this helps only partially. Switching off internet connection is more effective.

• Thanks 1

Edition    Windows 10 Pro
Version    20H2

If you consider "2 weeks" as "old".  It's constantly updating itself, I can't see how it can be "old".

That is exactly what I said before in this conversation. You have an OLD Windows version.

Current Win10 version is 21H1. This is a real new version, not a simple update.

Look at Microsoft release information.

5 hours ago, pcoder said:

The harddisk can get fully occupied by system activities and thus blocks user processes

Explains some complaints I've heard..

On 11/4/2021 at 3:24 PM, David Schwartz said:

Now I'd just like to know how to tell Windows 10 to stop doing undisclosed background processing after some amount of idle time. Maybe that's another system policy that needs to be edited...

You can disable tasks in Scheduler