Sign in to follow this  
Lajos Juhász

Why??! (they've changed the way main menu works in the IDE).

@David Millington . I have only one question WHY!!!!!!

I really like how the main menu in Windows works. You do an ALT+F opens the file menu and then select the submenu.  That way should work every program.

Now for some reason it's changed in the IDE. You have to press and release the ALT only then the main menu is selected.

For years I am using Alt+F O to open files. Now the same sequence leads a letter o in the source (in case I have something selected that is overwritten). 

Me neither.

Sometimes I recognize that INSERT mode had changed, and this won't get back by normal key, only by changing the mode here.

image.png.660c5d8150db6dc011c547b5cc665c7d.png

Maybe there is also a hidden catch like that for Ctrl-F, somewhere hidden in the options ?

Edited by Rollo62

47 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Cannot reproduce here.

Now it's also working for me. I will have to try to find when it's not working.

When I started this thread I was able to reproduce it multiple times.

47 minutes ago, Rollo62 said:

Sometimes I recognize that INSERT mode had changed, and this won't get back by normal key, only by changing the mode here.

You mean, Insert key doesn't work anymore??

1 minute ago, Fr0sT.Brutal said:

You mean, Insert key doesn't work anymore??

Yes, when usually toggling the insert key, to change between INSERT and OVERWRITE mode, this is ignored and stays at INSERT ( only in Delphi behaves like that, other apps do change the mode ).

The solution is to change above combobox selection.

7 minutes ago, Rollo62 said:

Yes, when usually toggling the insert key, to change between INSERT and OVERWRITE mode, this is ignored and stays at INSERT

I want it! How did you do that? The overwrite mode is one of the most annoying thing in the IDE and on my notebook the insert key is next to the home key.

Edited by Attila Kovacs

1 hour ago, Attila Kovacs said:

I want it! How did you do that? The overwrite mode is one of the most annoying thing in the IDE and on my notebook the insert key is next to the home key.

Exactly, the issue was that it always overwrites, no matter what you do, which may drive you crazy soon.

After a single checkbox change, it behaves normally again (toggle), but I'm afraid I had never seen the locking of the insert mode.

3 hours ago, Attila Kovacs said:

Are you programmer or what? Write your own keyboard filtering app 😄

43 minutes ago, Fr0sT.Brutal said:

Are you programmer or what? Write your own keyboard filtering app 😄

Give me direct link, I'm a high paid manager!!! 😛

13 minutes ago, Attila Kovacs said:

Give me direct link, I'm a high paid manager!!! 😛

OK, how much are you going to pay for such a filter then? 😉

• Like 1

let's see what did I break with that

the very few occasions that the OTA handles something perfectly

procedure TKeyboardBinding.CatchInsert(const Context: IOTAKeyContext; KeyCode: TShortCut; var BindingResult: TKeyBindingResult);
begin
  if not Context.EditBuffer.BufferOptions.InsertMode then
  begin
    Context.EditBuffer.BufferOptions.InsertMode := True;
    BindingResult := krHandled;
  end;
end;

Edited by Attila Kovacs
  • Thanks 1

In 10.4.x i have noticed that the first time i access a menu (and i always use Alt+Key) it takes so much time for the menu to show, that the next press (s for search for example) generates a keystroke. Then, often next time, the menu displays faster and the Alt+Key key works. Might be related (?) or similar in 11.x?

1 hour ago, Dany Marmur said:

In 10.4.x i have noticed that the first time i access a menu (and i always use Alt+Key) it takes so much time for the menu to show, that the next press (s for search for example) generates a keystroke. Then, often next time, the menu displays faster and the Alt+Key key works. Might be related (?) or similar in 11.x?

No, Yesterday a couple of time have had this problem. After I posted I didn't got it.

Ok, the problem with menu shortcuts most probably is simply a conflict.

I've docked Unit Dependency Analyzer. Now ALT+E instead of Edit in the main menu will activate the dependency analyzer (&Errors).

28 minutes ago, Lajos Juhász said:

I've docked Unit Dependency Analyzer. Now ALT+E instead of Edit in the main menu will activate the dependency analyzer (&Errors).

OK, that's definitely not intended. The shortcut should only trigger when UDA is focused. I will see what goes wrong there.