PiedSoftware

Any good replacement for Indy email?

Hi

We are having trouble with the Indy email components. They don't seem to work well with current email systems. We are getting failures, and false negatives resulting in multiple copies being sent.

Can anyone recommend a good replacement library? Or give better advice?

Regards
Mark

It's plausible that Indy isn't the problem here and that a wholesale library replacement will leave you with the same problems.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mvanrijnen said:

Here the same, only for O365 i have build a "proxy" in C#, we use EWS for that now

Interesting! I went exactly that way. It must have been 2002 that we had "Outlook App" on the server w OLE. Of course that did not work. Then i tried importing the EWS shemas directly into Delphi, i even evaluated RemObjects to no avail. Then dowloaded the SDK and VS Community and made a dll for Delphi. Works like a charm! I use AToZed CrossTalk. Did you fix integration some other way? EWS is old but very complete.

Edited by Guest

While absolutely agreeing with both Davids above, i can say something about two alternatives;

1. Ararat Synapse. http://www.ararat.cz/synapse/doku.php/download F/OS. I have used it for different needs. What i like about this library is the source code. It is written in a very "intuitive" way in that you can easily follow what happens for example when switching to TLS. Thus it is easy to trace along and see exactly what request/answer (SMTP/POP are good examples) that fails. IMHO looking at the code is much easier than reading the RFCs.

2. /n software, IP Works. Rather/very expensive. If you use their Mail component, i would be surprised if such a problem even appear and if it does if they do not solve it pronto.

HTH,

/Dany

40 minutes ago, Dany Marmur said:

Interesting! I went exactly that way. It must have been 2002 that we had "Outlook App" on the server w OLE. Of course that did not work. Then i tried importing the EWS shemas directly into Delphi, i even evaluated RemObjects to no avail. Then dowloaded the SDK and VS Community and made a dll for Delphi. Works like a charm! I use AToZed CrossTalk. Did you fix integration some other way? EWS is old but very complete.

Yes, but not with Crosstalk, i just made an Com library in VS Community, just imported the tlb into Delphi and it works. I did not know that EWS was that old, have to take a look into it. 

I see we're supposed to work with Overview of Microsoft Graph - Microsoft Graph | Microsoft Docs instead. For now it works for us with the EWS.  

(i do that for more thing this way, because there's so much more available in .net these days)

I'm sure going to take a look at AtoZed CrossTalk, never heard/read of it 🙂

Edited by mvanrijnen

13 minutes ago, mvanrijnen said:

EWS was that old

Can't say when i first saw it. 2002 was the first very very specific implementation with OL app server side (sic).

just imported the tlb into Delphi and it works

Ah, of course! The interface "we" write is so much simpler (or "to the point") compared to trying to import the whole EWS. Brilliant! Thank you, this was useful to me!

It looks utterly incomplete compared to EWS. My two clients (soon to be only one, hoooray) with this implemented want my system to export "distribution lists" to Exchange and keep them up to date. I cannot see (when i looked some ½ year ago) that possibility in MSGraph. Back when, the lists were a Outlook application function, it was stored binary in Exchange. So the first serious server side implementation was a lot of fiddling with the distlist binary format that was almost "undocumented". Then these function came to EWS, that is when i deployed it using AToZed. I cannot remember when i found out and reworked the deployment.

@PiedSoftware, sorry for hogging you thread.

Edited by Guest
OT, OT, OT!

Have used Indy for years and years for emails, ftp, etc. with no real problems.

Sorry I can't be more specific. The problem is in production and I just do development from home. The problems are not consistent either. It's a bit frustrating.

57 minutes ago, PiedSoftware said:

Sorry I can't be more specific. The problem is in production and I just do development from home. The problems are not consistent either. It's a bit frustrating.

I strongly recommend that you identify the problem before trying to solve it. 

• Like 6

FIrst, which email components ?

Which failures ?

Which false negatives (if this is virusscan/spam detection, has nothing todo with indy itself, but how you use indy)

Maybe your having troubles with the latest development of microsoft, they are pulling out old TLS versions.

see: Preparing for TLS 1.2 in Office 365 and Office 365 GCC - Microsoft 365 Compliance | Microsoft Docs

(just as info not a solution)

you have any logging of the failures?

Edited by mvanrijnen