PeterPanettone

Hot Reload in Delphi?

I would love that Feature too, but I would also completely drop it,

if that debugger cannot even inspect an Integer value correctly all the time.

First things first...

In my opinion hot reload is probably the most significant improvement to development since the Delphi IDE made VB look ancient.

Developers are very expensive, and there are never enough hours in the day. 

For some reason developers spend all day making productivity tools for others, but seem to still work with spades instead of bulldozers.

I can see this feature being worth at least $5000USD/year/developer which is a game changer.

The fact the Delphi community doesn't see how important this is, well, it says a lot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, hsvandrew said:

The fact the Delphi community doesn't see how important this is, well, it says a lot. 

Exactly, if the IDE would safe my valuable time, then the high cost for the IDE is getting less and less problematic.

Unfortunately at the moment the IDE eats up my time, instead of releasing.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, hsvandrew said:

It is not that we don't see its importance, we just don't have any faith in EMBT's ability to pull it off.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hsvandrew said:

In my opinion hot reload is probably the most significant improvement to development since the Delphi IDE made VB look ancient.

Developers are very expensive, and there are never enough hours in the day. 

For some reason developers spend all day making productivity tools for others, but seem to still work with spades instead of bulldozers.

I can see this feature being worth at least $5000USD/year/developer which is a game changer.

On the other side: when you take the compiletimes of c++ into account the hotreload is of more interest in this ecosystem then in delphi.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ConstantGardener said:

On the other side: when you take the compiletimes of c++ into account the hotreload is of more interest in this ecosystem then in delphi.

I'm often working on applications where it can take 5-10 minutes to launch the application and navigate to the point of interest. Hot reload could save me hours every day.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Anders Melander said:

Hot reload could save me hours every day.

I guess you already use logging to save time.

One thing that I hanker after is a reversible debugger, where you can step backwards. Tricky to implement I am sure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, David Heffernan said:

I guess you already use logging to save time.

Not in this project. It's a C/S desktop application and there hasn't been a need for logging.

No, what I'm talking about is the compile, debug, edit cycle.

"Hot" is not for Emba. "Chilly" they might be able to do.

31 minutes ago, Anders Melander said:

I'm often working on applications where it can take 5-10 minutes to launch

Then something else if off IMHO.

1 minute ago, Dany Marmur said:

Then something else if off IMHO.

Not really. It's not the loading of the EXE that takes time. It's the application startup, login, select various application stuff, navigate to the POI, etc.

Imagine if you were developing the Delphi IDE and was working on some problem that could only be reproduced with a specific project. How long time does it take to start the IDE, load the project, etc.

4 hours ago, Anders Melander said:

I'm often working on applications where it can take 5-10 minutes to launch the application and navigate to the point of interest. Hot reload could save me hours every day.

Here not 5-10 minutes, but 2-3 minutes. Without question , hotload can save us hours, but in c++ it can save days. 🙂 That's the whole point. 

2 hours ago, David Heffernan said:

Logging allows you to avoid the part where you repeatedly start up and navigate to the point of interest.

I don't think we're talking about the same.