PeterPanettone

Patch for Delphi 11 Alexandria available

There is a patch for Delphi 11 in GetIt:

image.thumb.png.af10f4e67bc1924699cb8ea59ea02f94.png

However, none o the most important bugs in Delphi 11 seem to have been addressed:

1. Persistent customization of the IDE toolbar still does not work

2. Still no Parnassus Bookmarks.

Is there a mention of the patch in the IDE UI?

We need to look at what has been fixed. The vast majority are HDPI. Nothing for me.

From my experience:

• forms open faster
  • the Welcome window closes faster

That is probably all

Edited by Stano
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Stano said:

Nothing for me.

In that case these bugs didn't you bother either before. A net gain for all of us.

What annoys me most: When the IDE needs to be restarted after a GetIt install, the restart does not work. Most of the time, there are TWO instances of BDS.exe running with lots of error messages. Can someone tell the maker of GetIt how to correctly make a program restart itself?

16 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

When the IDE needs to be restarted after a GetIt install, the restart does not work. Most of the time, there are TWO instances of BDS.exe running with lots of error messages.

I didn't see that here.

59 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

I know. You're perfect.

Uwe is providing useful information that your problem may have an environmental aspect to it. Your antagonistic response is very counterproductive. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, PeterPanettone said:

When the IDE needs to be restarted after a GetIt install, the restart does not work.

Worked for me. (Which is an improvement because installations via Getit used to fail most of the time.)

I haven't seen a GetIt induced restart fail yet - but now I am suddenly expecting it to fail...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lars Fosdal said:

GetIt induced restart fail

Maybe we should define more exactly what "GetIt induced restart fail" means - as my ambiguous statement "the restart does not work" could lead to misunderstandings. For me, "restart fail" means that there are multiple instances of BDS.exe running after a restart is required after a GetIt install. A self-restart should check whether the application is still running (using an external helper program) and restart itself only when it is completely terminated.

I just installed FMXLinux 1.68 which required a restart.
No lingering BDS.exes for me. I keep Process Hacker running most of the time, and I can't recall seeing multiple BDS processes after a GetIt install.

30 minutes ago, Lars Fosdal said:

No lingering BDS.exes for me.

Seems... you are perfect, too? 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Lars Fosdal said:

No lingering BDS.exes for me

Thanks for verifying this. I suspect that a very short presence o two instances of BDS.exe could have triggered a modal GExperts error message which could have blocked the first instance from terminating (GExperts always shows an error message when an additional BDS instance is created). This looks like the BDS restart procedure consists only of a termination statement ("Close;") followed by a BDS execution statement (or vice-versa). This is what I would call "debile programming". A self-restart should always be done with the help of an external helper program waiting for the EXPLICIT termination of the main program.

Edited by PeterPanettone

All our apps, including our services, are self-upgrading/restarting.  It has worked flawlessly for years.  We set up the relaunch to be executed in the finalize statement of our upgrader unit, so we know the application has actually exited when we relaunch.

5 minutes ago, Lars Fosdal said:

We set up the relaunch to be executed in the finalize statement of our upgrader unit

If the upgrader unit is part of the main application then the main application de facto is still not terminated. If this works for your company then this does not mean it works for BDS.

8 hours ago, PeterPanettone said:

GExperts always shows an error message when an additional BDS instance is created

Actually that is a warning message and it can be turned off.

1 hour ago, dummzeuch said:

Actually that is a warning message and it can be turned off.

You did not write where the DANGER MESSAGE can be turned off.

Edited by PeterPanettone

16 hours ago, PeterPanettone said:

You did not write where the DANGER MESSAGE can be turned off.

If I remember correctly there is a "do not show again" checkbox in the dialog.

There is indeed a 'do not show again' checkbox. But normally when I see this dialog it is because I have failed to spot the icon in the toolbar and accidentally opened another IDE instance.  So it would be nice to have a 'cancel start-up' option as well!

Isn't there a startup parameter for BDS.exe to disallow multiple instances of BDS.exe? (BDS checking if there is already an instance of BDS.exe running).

Edited by PeterPanettone

6 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

Isn't there a startup parameter for BDS.exe to disallow multiple instances of BDS.exe? (BDS checking if there is already an instance of BDS.exe running).

That's what the BDSLauncher.exe tool in the Delphi bin directory is for. It's usually registered as default program for *.dpr / *.dproj files. (And it's the first thing I replace because I actually want a separate BDS instance for each project.)

1 minute ago, dummzeuch said:

I actually want a separate BDS instance for each project

Can your computer afford the additional memory needed for multiple BDS instances?

1 hour ago, PeterPanettone said:

Can your computer afford the additional memory needed for multiple BDS instances?

It hasn't complained yet. 😉 (16 GBytes of RAM go a long way even with Windows 10, if you don't use VMs)

Currently I have got 3 instances of Delphi 2007 and 2 of Delphi 10.2 running (on separate virtual desktops with different projects of course).

Edited by dummzeuch