Lars Fosdal

Herb Sutter on C++20

One hour into the video I wanted to shoot myself in the head - But then I remembered that I no longer program in C++ 🙂

Apart from that; Good stuff. When I heard Bjarne at the end I thought: He sounds tired of C++. Maybe he should try Delphi 🙂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Anders Melander said:

One hour into the video I wanted to shoot myself in the head - But then I remembered that I no longer program in C++ 🙂

Brilliant!

Thank you for the video.

I have recently picked up a C++ project and I actually enjoy it. But to be honest, I would rather build a big monolith app in Delphi than in C++.

63283314_depressionisnomore.thumb.jpg.9a56c5f89e6e32bfd983b0c9faf30ee4.jpg

• Haha 5

22 hours ago, Anders Melander said:

When I heard Bjarne at the end I thought: He sounds tired of C++.

No, he sounds tired of people that fight against expressiveness for the sake of complexity.

22 hours ago, Anders Melander said:

Funny, around that time I was like "Dayum!" remembering how much code I had to write in Delphi for redblack-tree rotation.

6 minutes ago, Stefan Glienke said:

Funny, around that time I was like "Dayum!" remembering how much code I had to write in Delphi for redblack-tree rotation.

Well, it's not that I don't envy the versatility of C++ but I really don't enjoy trying to maintain (or even just read) code that fully uses that versatility.

I've always enjoyed Herb's talks.  The one that sticks in my mind is where he discusses the possible simplification of parameter passing in C++.  This has (and is) one of the chief complexities of the language that sometimes confounds beginners.  That proposal went no where as far as I can tell, and I don't know exactly why it failed but I think the old canard "it's not C++" or maybe something to do with library compatibility.  Too bad, really.

The other thing about "modern" C++ is that it is very difficult to teach.  There's another talk I think from 2019 at cppcon (Nicholas J., irrc) that discusses the 18 (or more) different ways to initialize an integer.  And once you get into move semantics, compile-time programming, and when and if constexpr works like you think it does then you really need great teaching skills.

Their three year cycle for language enhancements is astonishing.  I remain envious of compilers that can optimize like theirs can.  If only Delphi had...