Curt Krueger

Installing Mobile on 10.3..

I'm currently using Delphi 10.1 Berlin Professional (and I don't want to install 10.2 to get to 10.3), I did install the mobile pack for it (10.1), and that's currently installed.   I finally getting around to trying 10.3 professional, I've installed it, it's registered, I've rebooted, etc., and want to try the latest mobile development, but not found a way to install that.  I've followed the instructions here:

https://community.embarcadero.com/article/articles-support/174-rad-studio/installation-registration/16617-delphi-and-c-builder-10-2-3-tokyo-professional-edition-mobile-pack-install-instructions-4

I'm using the offline installer,  I've tried the "Upgrade", but all it does is either screw up the existing install of Delphi, or does absolutely nothing.  Because I didn't get a serial number with my subscription renewal, I've tried the "tokyo" mobile serial number (which I generated on Embarcadero's site), no help.   I've un-installed and re-installed once, I've went through the upgrade process about 4 times trying different things, etc. 

I don't want to install 10.2. 

I have a support ticket in asking what magic I need to apply, hoping to avoid the 2 or 3 day wait for a reply from them.   I didn't get a serial number with for 10.3 (Delphi or "Mobile"), their instructions don't help.    Any suggestions?  I'm at step one of mobile evaluation (Delphi and Xamarin) now that some platform development has matured some, and I have to say, this isn't a good impression, not at all.

Thanks,

Curt

I have a similar position to you.  I thought I would try the web installer instead of ISO this time.

My licence shows Professional with Mobile.

I tried installing Android from Platform manager. Initially it wouldn't work because after checking install, I needed to go to Additional Options tab and also check installing the Java Developement Kit and Android SDK 25.25 NDK r17b, so they installed before Delphi Android Professional installed.

After getting the Delphi Android 'successfully' installed, I still don't have Android SDKs in Options -> Deployment -> SDK Manager.

I also used the Platform Installer to install MacOS and Windows 64 bit.  After this I uninstalled Android and re-installed it, but no difference in the outcome.

On opening a project,  Windows 32 and iOS are the only available platforms.

After logging a support case, I have received 1 reply to my support case suggesting that I re-register my licence.  This had no effect.  My symptoms are that not only is Android not shown in the SDK Manager, Android, Windows 64bit and MacOS are not shown as platforms for selection.

I've sent a reply to Support indicating failure of their solution.  I'll let you know what comes back in case it helps you.

Regards

Sue

Thanks Sue for the reply.  I heard back from my support ticket, here's part of the response:

To upgrade your existing 10.2 Tokyo to 10.3 Rio version please follow these steps:

1. Launch 10.2 Tokyo , and go to Help>About>License which will launch the License Manager
2. In the left pane, select your version 10.2 license
3. On the right pane under License Actions click Update option
4. The licenses will then update, and show version Delphi 10.3 Rio Professional with Mobile with Mobile in the "License Details" specifically in the "This License Activates" section.

I do have a serial number from a prior addition that I tried to "Upgrade" and it shows up in the license manager.  The trouble ticket said to delete that first.  I'm hoping that is the issue.

I don't have Tokyo installed, nor do I want to download the Tokyo 5 or 6 gig iso (or web installer equivalent ) just to run part of the "upgrade" and then un-install Tokyo just to get to the mobile portion so I'm hoping that deleting the serial number and updating will allow the mobile portion to show up.

I'll follow up once I'm back at my machine to confirm the steps or state that what they wanted me to do didn't work.

Regards,

Curt

Hi Curt,

For your peace of mind, deleting, adding and re-registering is something I did and it didn't do any damage, although it will have bumped my installation count.  It didn't fix my problem - I have now been advised to download the ISO and reinstall.

My problem is with the 10.3 installation via web, and I suspect from this and other comments, it really is still pretty buggy and the ISO is safer. 

Sue

I used the 10.3 ISO for the original install, and I just followed the support email instructions, and no go.   They assume that every user updates to every version they publish, for reasons described below, I don't!  The instructions didn't work, so it looks like I'm forced to install 10.2, only to get the mobile to work on 10.3, and uninstall 10.2. What a huge waste of time!   

Not happy, and it seems they don't care (installing directly without a prior install with a valid serial number is an edge case?).  So at some point in time, probably very soon, I may just be history as far as a customer, I've hung on a long time where many Delphi people I know gave up years ago.  I'm just so sick of the frustration, just to get started (I haven't mentioned the hell you go through to install components).   I know the response from some.. Don't let the door hit me in the arse.. 

Thanks for your response,

Curt

Hi Curt,

What exactly is your symptom ?  Can you create a new project for mobile ?  I've found that projects from Berlin, which I'm upgrading to Rio, can't add Platforms.  Project Magician from Uwe Raabe should all Add Platforms to work, if this is your problem.  Unfortunately, even though I now have mobile enabled for new projects, I can't enable it for existing ones and Project Magician although installed according to  registry is not showing in the IDE.  I have posted in third party to ask Uwe if he has any ideas about what is wrong.

As a last resort, I'll recreate my project files as there aren't many.  Still taking baby steps with mobile.

Regards

Sue

Hi Sue,

No mobile platforms at all (10.3).   I see Windows and MacOS, nothing else.  I don't have any old projects.   I looked a few years ago (5 years) and wasn't too excited about the outstanding issues (the text box had issues.. What?!), so I waited.  I'm at the point now where I need mobile.  It's either Delphi or Xamarin.   I know WPF, and know a little about the native UI creation on both iOS and Android (but don't want to learn the whole native ecosystem for each), so if I go Xamarin, some will be harder but know that ultimately I will get things to work.  

Even though it's nice money wise to see mobile included with Delphi Pro now, I fail to see how they'll generate revenue to pay for the upkeep, seeing it seems they're not keeping up with all platforms now (my "gut" opinion obviously).

I'm going to install 10.2, get that serial number registered, then use that serial number to update 10.3.  I'm hoping that will work. 

Thanks,

Curt

When I installed with the web installer, I only had Windows 32 and iOS.  Weird.  Now I have the lot.

Good luck

Sue

I finally got the mobile to install, but now working on a path problem, the path is too long!  16 Gig memory machine, 12Tb of HD, but my path is too long (and I see a bunch of programs willy nilly put stuff there)!

The problem was that I had an incorrect serial number in the license manager, I removed that, tried.  No luck.  I broke down and installed the damn Tokyo, Mobile showed up there for it.   I re-ran the "upgrade" install from programs and features for RIO, still no mobile, I quit that.  I re-ran the license manager and deleted Tokyo's serial number out of the license manager, and re-registered.  This seemed to do the trick. 

I re-ran RIO's install and did the "Upgrade" from Programs and Features.  Unfortunately, I didn't un-mount the Tokyo iso, so when I went back to install the mobile on RIO (and I figured this out, it didn't tell me it was the wrong install), it showed up, and attempted to load RIO's mobile from Tokyo's ISO.   So, I had to cancel because it couldn't find a correct 7zip file, and when I re-mounted the correct ISO, I couldn't install Tokyo mobile any longer!

So I un-installed RIO again (I think this was the 3rd or 4th time), re-booted, and re-installed.  This time when I picked Tokyo's serial number it determined that RIO should have mobile, and the mobile installed.

I did a quick "mobile" test, it shows up, I created a mini project using one of the templates and I'm getting an error on build that appears to be an issue with the path.  I cleaned up the Environment path, still get the same error.  I still have to look at the Android configuration, and read some more material to get back up to speed.   It's probably just a platform/simulator or device issue.

Thanks for your input Sue.

Curt

Although I have the mobile platforms now, it isn't available for some projects that have been updated.  I thought about submitting a case about it, but there are other similar cases listed and I can't wait for a fix, so I'll recreate the .proj files and sort it out that way.

I've also found that I can't use IDEFixPack or install ProjectMagician, so there is something odd about the installation.  It was installed into a new VM, so there are no upgrade issues.

However I am able to move on to new work so that is good.  Apart from the way the IDE jumps around the screen, I like working with Rio.

That path problem is has been around for years.   Pity they can't do something about it.

I'm not sure I actually helped with the problem, but I do find it encouraging when I have problems and people have suggestions and comments.

Cheers,

Sue