Carlos Tré

Delphi/FireDAC and Firebird 4

Dear fellow programmers,

Can anyone tell me if Firebird 4 is fully supported by Delphi/FireDAC? Back in July I read a post, in a Google groups stating that there not support. Yesterday I tried again and the story was the same. During a talk by Carlos Canty yesterday it seemed to me that there were people already using it in production, so I am a little bit confused here. Has FireDAC been updated to work with FB4? If yes, since which version? I'm on Delphi 10.4.2 and just waiting for things workwise to calm a bit to migrate to Delphi 11.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Carlos

Edited by Carlos Tré
typo

12 minutes ago, Lajos Juhász said:

Dear Lajos,

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me, I really appreciated it. It seems hard to believe, but I've just asked the same question in DelphiCon's session on FireDAC Q&A and was completely ignored. It seems as if Embarcadero is not very keen on supporting Firebird.

Best regards,

Carlos

15 minutes ago, Carlos Tré said:

It seems hard to believe, but I've just asked the same question in DelphiCon's session on FireDAC Q&A and was completely ignored. It seems as if Embarcadero is not very keen on supporting Firebird.

It was strange that on live panel at an Embarcadero event there was nobody to represent Embarcadero (just to answer technical questions).

1 minute ago, Lajos Juhász said:

It was strange that on live panel at an Embarcadero event there was nobody to represent Embarcadero (just to answer technical questions).

They preferred to answer questions on UniDAC, MySQL and, believe me, there were answers (yes, more than one) to delph-ee and delph-eye.

23 minutes ago, Dmitry Arefiev said:

Delphi 11 Update 1 will support Firebird 4.

Thank you very much, Dmitry. Do you have am ETA for Update 1?

Best regards.

Carlos

And when did Firedac will support Firebird for  Android?  Actually, Unidac can (it's just a little hard to deploy Firebird correctly)!

I am not an Interbase fan, especially when I found that Interbase don't have windowing functions

11 hours ago, Lajos Juhász said:

It seems hard to believe, but I've just asked the same question in DelphiCon's session on FireDAC Q&A and was completely ignored.

Oh, I also asked  a question  about Firebird with same behaviour : ignored. Don't know if I made a mistake with webinar or  there was an Embarcadero filter :classic_huh:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Serge_G said:

I also asked  a question  about Firebird with same behaviour : ignored

I think they were fielding questions as fast as they could but could only get to so many. It went over time as it was. I've been on that side of the screen and you just can't get to everyone's question or comment.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, corneliusdavid said:

I think they were fielding questions as fast as they could but could only get to so many. It went over time as it was. I've been on that side of the screen and you just can't get to everyone's question or comment.

But isn't it strange that they found the time to discuss "delphee" x "delpheye"? If there wasn't any time spent over such a silly dispute, I wouldn't have been do frustrated.

Cheers,

Carlos

8 minutes ago, Carlos Tré said:

But isn't it strange that they found the time to discuss "delphee" x "delpheye"? If there wasn't any time spent over such a silly dispute, I wouldn't have been do frustrated.

Well, yes, I was surprised how many of those comments came through. In my recollection, most of those were near the beginning of the session.

But consider this, too: responding with a quick smiley-face or one word response (e.g. "Agree!") takes far less time and effort than doing research on a question you may not know for sure. People take what is said in these sessions as gospel so the answerer needs to be certain what they're saying is spot-on.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, corneliusdavid said:

But consider this, too: responding with a quick smiley-face or one word response (e.g. "Agree!") takes far less time and effort than doing research on a question you may not know for sure. People take what is said in these sessions as gospel so the answerer needs to be certain what they're saying is spot-on.

In a session about FireDAC Q&A I'd think that'd have been an easy one, after all Firebird 4 is here for at least 4 or 5 months. But now I'm peace with that, I'll have to wait for update 1 to rollout. 

Straying a bit off the topic, I watched a replay of you session and would like to thank you fir that, until then I wasn't aware of the DataSetAdapter for JSON. Not only for that, but your blog's article on Live Templates that led me an old article by Nick Hodges that was just what I've been looking for ages. I even suggested during Nick's session that he could write a book on the matter.

7 hours ago, Carlos Tré said:

I watched a replay of you session and would like to thank you fir that

Thanks for your comments--so glad it was useful!

18 hours ago, Carlos Tré said:

I watched a replay of you session and would like to thank you

As I (but the replay). I use  Rest for quite a while, but I was not aware of that suffix property 😮. I still have some difficulty with the usage of this thing (better that parameters I think ?)

I am not so far in your book (the priority chapters for me were Livebindings and FMX Styles) 

11 hours ago, Serge_G said:

I still have some difficulty with the usage of this thing

It takes some time to play around with it and get familiar with resources and suffixes. We could start a new topic to discuss this if you want.

12 hours ago, corneliusdavid said:

We could start a new topic to discuss this if you want.

I will, but not for now, my applications involving REST (linking Prestashop to my home-maid ERP shoes factory business)  are functional without this suffix thing :classic_wink:

But thanks for the offer.

Returning to Firebird 4 things. I installed it (dual install on another port than 3050) but only test with Flamerobin. I'll take some time to connect a database with Firedac, but I am not certain if the good fbclient.dll should be used except in an embedded way  

Edited by Serge_G

On 11/18/2021 at 8:33 PM, Dmitry Arefiev said:

Delphi 11 Update 1 will support Firebird 4.

Full support including the new 128 Bit types, timestamp with timezone and the new batch API for INSERT/UPDATE?

I ask because UniDAC/IBDAC only supports a subset at this time.

For Update:

• INT128
  • NUMERIC with precision 19..38
  • TIME WITH TIME ZONE, TIMESTAMP WITH TIME ZONE (limited)
  • DECFLOAT(16/34)
  • native statement timeout

More later, because all other will be "interface breaking changes". So, not for Update.