KenR

Application to generate all cross platform images

Does anyone know if there is an application available to generate all iOS, Android, etc. images from a single image and also update the project file.

I ask because I have written one and am considering making it freely available.

14 minutes ago, Lars Fosdal said:

What defines an image here?

I suspect Ken is referring to icons and launch images.

57 minutes ago, KenR said:

I ask because I have written one and am considering making it freely available.

I'd be interested in seeing it

Ok. One thing I haven't done yet is to put in the backing up of the project file before altering it. I'll do this before uploading a link. It generates all icons/launch images (there can be a different launch image) but it uses specific  image names and is only suitable for Delphi 10 and above. I have been using it myself for a couple of years.

11 minutes ago, Lars Fosdal said:

Personally, I would never download an .exe from a less known source.

Where would you suggest that I put it?

Good question...
If you intend to distribute it for free, and it is a generic tool for Delphi - You could work with EMBT to get it packaged for GetIt?
If the source code doesn't contain any commercial libs, there is the source code on GitHub option?

It uses several commercial libraries (DevEx, UniDAC, ImageEn, TMS) so was not intending to provide source.

13 hours ago, Lars Fosdal said:

Personally, I would never download an .exe from a less known source.

I agree with your opinion, the captain is cut out for this kind of work,

https://sandboxie-plus.com/downloads/    I use.

when i'm done i delete the repository Sandboxie folder, create it again, isolate the fully running application from the system.

After examining what it has created in the sandboxie folder, I test its reliability.

I do this myself on my Mac
I generate the largest one 1024x1024 and then run this script.
It's easy to adapt when a new resolution shows up.

generate [path\]iconname.png

It will create all required icons for iOS and Android in the generated subfolder

generate.sh

Unfortunately I think it's a macOS only command

On Linux, something close to it is imagemagick

A quick google search didn't really result in finding something for Windows.

I have submitted my application to Embarcadero for inclusion in GetIt

• Like 1

In the past I used one of the many free online services for my icons (not that I needed many, only two sets). Appiconmaker, app icon generator and so forth are handy google arguments. What they lack is the start screen thing, nice addition. What none have or even consider, is the use of a different icon for those small ones, where scaled down big images just look mushy and ugly. See here for more info on that subject.

Launch Gen resamples the images so that the small ones still look good. These are generated from a 1024x1024 image:

iPhone_AppIcon180.png.0e85bb5d1994289c013ea1d87bb01d5c.pngiPhone_AppIcon120.png.4c59494d0e2395af60a4c152c7342773.pngiPhone_AppIcon60.png.5252f1ee19ff9930102c96fc21635f1b.png

• Like 1

I use the good old IcoFX 1.6.4 Portable Edition.

KenR - how well does it resample for 32x32 and below?  Most of the time, the smallest sizes need some TLC to look decent.

image.thumb.png.26c0725f7de353846b8d3c129770a23f.png

• Like 1

The smallest size required to be generated is the iPhone_Spotlight29 iPhone_Spotlight29.png.9604ea41e36e8776fd79ff7c6f7a9a92.png but it also really depends a lot on the quality of the initial image used.

I should add, in case there is any confusion, that LaunchGen is not a generic application for editing/resizing images. It specifically generates Android, iPhone, iPad and Windows icons/splashimages required for Delphi FMX projects,

More details are available here https://karmobile.net/LaunchGen

I would think that you could increase the potential number of users with quite a bit if you added VCL support as well 🙂

Edit: or even add it as a pro feature at a reasonable price. 

The Windows Icon file is created with image sizes of 16x16, 24 x 24, ,32x32, ,48x48 ,64x64,72x72, 96x96, 128x128, 256x256 and 512x512 pixels as well as creating the UWP 44x44 and 150x150 logo images.

All images are resized using the Mitchell filter which I find to be the best for most icons. I could make the choice of filter to user definable.

The dice example doesn't look well at the smaller sizes as particularly the lower right corner is not as round as it should be.

Offering multiple downsampling algorithm options is a good idea.