PeterPanettone

Where is the "Save Desktop..." menu item in the Delphi 10.3 Rio IDE?

In the Delphi 10.3 Rio IDE, where is the  Save Desktop... menu item?

I have not found it in the View -> Desktops submenu:

image.png.b0c97c8c2cf5b946a01b187d47c71090.png

It's "hidden" in den application titlebar.

Click on the "moon" icon on the right of the titlebar and you'll see..

Edited by GPRSNerd

30 minutes ago, GPRSNerd said:

I have no "moon icon" in the IDE titlebar. Only after moving the IDE window with the mouse the titlebar controls become visible:

image.png.8f629d07c715e189bbdf24e1e8cc896d.png

Why does Embarcadero HIDE important commands in spooky places? That would be the same as a car manufacturer hiding the hand brake in the car trunk.

5 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

That would be the same as a car manufacturer hiding the hand brake in the car trunk

Well not trunk but in fact Mercedes Benz I think was the first manufacturer to put it somewhere else and often people were looking for it in the usual place and could not find it :)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Stefan Glienke said:

Well not trunk but in fact Mercedes Benz I think was the first manufacturer to put it somewhere else and often people were looking for it in the usual place and could not find it 🙂 

Only German engineers can look at the term "hand brake" and go "Yep! That should be done with a pedal".:classic_cool:

1 minute ago, Stefan Glienke said:

Well not trunk but in fact Mercedes Benz I think was the first manufacturer to put it somewhere else and often people were looking for it in the usual place and could not find it :)

You are right, the Mercedes CLA has the (electrically operated) handbrake on a "left down under" position. Very impractical!

1 minute ago, Sherlock said:

Only German engineers can look at the term "hand brake" and go "Yep! That should be done with a pedal".:classic_cool:

And that's why technical terms matter - because it's called parking brake (Feststellbremse in german).

Correct! But it also shows the normative power of facts. Everybody has been using their hands to operate the parking brake for decades, hence the popular renaming, which made absolute sense. The new concept did indeed turn out to be a dud, contrary to a lot of other stuff Daimler engineers came up with over the years. It is now something that may be regarded as eccentric (or just plain nuts if it where in a cheap car).

1 hour ago, GPRSNerd said:

Aeemmhhh, you're actually showing the button with the half-moon glyph in your screenshot!

image.png.381001f4e5d368a3f059d8d33473f75e.png

3 hours ago, Alexander Elagin said:

And who on Earth can guess that a crescent moon icon means "Save Desktop"?

Well, it doesn't - it stands for Light/Dark Theme and Desktop (at least the rectangle behind it).

Edited by Uwe Raabe

8 hours ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Well, it doesn't - it stands for Light/Dark Theme and Desktop (at least the rectangle behind it).

Honestly, I specially started 10.3 to check - there is no rectangle, only the crescent (at least in the unthemed IDE). But I clearly see a "Save current desktop" button.

crescent.png

Edited by Alexander Elagin

2 hours ago, Alexander Elagin said:

at least in the unthemed IDE

The unthemed IDE is totally different.

BTW, that screenshots somehow reminds me of Delphi 7 (which really makes me shudder).

1 hour ago, Uwe Raabe said:

BTW, that screenshots somehow reminds me of Delphi 7 (which really makes me shudder).

Hey, that's the Delphi from my first job after university. It makes me feel nostalgic.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2019 at 1:26 PM, Sherlock said:

Absolutely right.
German engineers use their hands for more important stuff :classic_biggrin: