TimCruise

Are future security patches included in a RAD Studio perpetual Commercial License?

Are future security patches included in a RAD Studio perpetual Commercial License?

I heard from a forum.  RAD Studio company does not provide future security patches for free.

Please clarify.  :classic_rolleyes:

Embarcadero produces patches for the most current version. If you own that version, you get the patch whether your subscription is current or not.

Once the next full release happens though (roughly every 12-18 months) the prior release is extremely unlikely to ever get another patch of any sort.

This isn't an official statement and I don't represent Embarcadero. It's just an observation of how they've behaved in the past.

• Like 1

I only remember one security patch for Delphi, well over 10 years ago, relating to a graphics function that did not check a PChar string length properly.  Have there been any others?

Angus

There has been CVE-2014-0994 which

*Vulnerable Packages*

. Embarcadero® C++Builder® XE6 Version 20.0.15596.9843
   . Embarcadero® Delphi® XE6 Version 20.0.15596.9843

We also found vulnerable applications that were built with the
following development tools:

. Delphi XE5 / C++Builder XE5 (Delphi:Win32) (C++Builder:Win32)
   . Delphi XE4 / C++Builder XE4 (Delphi:Win32) (C++Builder:Win32)
   . Delphi XE3 / C++Builder XE3 (Delphi:Win32) (C++Builder:Win32)
   . Delphi XE2 / C++Builder XE2 (Delphi:Win32) (C++Builder:Win32)
   . Delphi XE / C++Builder XE (Win32)
   . Delphi 2010 / C++Builder 2010 (Win32)
   . Delphi 2009 / C++Builder 2009 (Win32)
   . Delphi 2007 / C++Builder 2007 for Win32
   . Delphi 2006 / C++Builder 2006 (Win32) and Delphi/C++Builder 2007
for Win32
   . Delphi 2005 (Win32)
   . Delphi 7 (and 7.1)
   . Delphi 6 / C++Builder 6
   . Delphi 5 / C++Builder 5
   . C++Builder 4
   . Delphi 4

Embarcadero published a hotfix for XE6, and a guide how to patch Vcl.Graphics.pas which is no longer online.

15 hours ago, Lachlan Gemmell said:

Embarcadero produces patches for the most current version. If you own that version, you get the patch whether your subscription is current or not.

Aren't those patches only available for those who have/had an active subscription at the time the patch is/was released? I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

12 minutes ago, dummzeuch said:

Aren't those patches only available for those who have/had an active subscription at the time the patch is/was released?

That is a decision made by Embarcadero based on the nature of the patch.

20 hours ago, Lachlan Gemmell said:

Once the next full release happens though (roughly every 12-18 months) the prior release is extremely unlikely to ever get another patch of any sort.

Life time sounds too short.  For such a complicated and expensive software, I expect at least 2 years full running.  :classic_huh:

2 hours ago, TimCruise said:

Life time sounds too short.

That's why renewing the subscription is highly suggested.

For such a complicated and expensive software, I expect at least 2 years full running.

The commercial versions can be run indefinitely. As mentioned before, security patches are very rarely necessary in Delphi. There are plenty of people out there working with Delphi versions years old, if not decades.

8 hours ago, Uwe Raabe said:

The commercial versions can be run indefinitely.

Unless you need to re-install, or install on a new system, and you've run out of activations 😞

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nigel Thomas said:

Unless you need to re-install, or install on a new system, and you've run out of activations 😞

You can still activate a new installation, it's just becomes a bigger pain in the neck than usual. I've heard you need to contact sales in that situation rather than support, and the process takes longer as a result.

14 hours ago, TimCruise said:

Life time sounds too short.  For such a complicated and expensive software, I expect at least 2 years full running.  :classic_huh:

I see from your other posts you're probably a community edition user doing mobile development. I can tell you now as a fellow RAD Studio mobile developer that you should not purchase RAD Studio for mobile development unless you are prepared to pay the renewals each year.

If you don't, when the next mandatory requirement for store listing comes from Apple/Google (and they seem to come every year) only the latest RAD Studio will have support for that requirement. Using your old version you'll be stranded and eventually unable to update your app in the store.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Nigel Thomas said:

Unless you need to re-install, or install on a new system, and you've run out of activations

I will never run out of activations, because I use a Named Network License provided by a local ELC server. This allows me to install Delphi on as much targets I want as long as I keep the same user name on all of them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lachlan Gemmell said:

I see from your other posts you're probably a community edition user doing mobile development. I can tell you now as a fellow RAD Studio mobile developer that you should not purchase RAD Studio for mobile development unless you are prepared to pay the renewals each year.

If you don't, when the next mandatory requirement for store listing comes from Apple/Google (and they seem to come every year) only the latest RAD Studio will have support for that requirement. Using your old version you'll be stranded and eventually unable to update your app in the store.

Yes, I like RAD Studio's features but it seems too expensive for such a short life time.  :classic_sad:

8 minutes ago, TimCruise said:

Yes, I like RAD Studio's features but it seems too expensive for such a short life time.

Not sure if I understand, but you can extend the life time by renewing your subscriptions for one or multiple years. Are you referring to the annual subscription cost being too expensive?

10 hours ago, Nigel Thomas said:

That's why I'd recommend to buy / switch to a Network Named User license(*1). Then you run your own license server and will not have to beg for new activations.

(*1: For companies it might also be an option to buy Network Concurrent User licenses that are not tied to a specific user (even though it is easily possible to change the user of a Network Named User license). Code Partners described the various types of license available in a blog post.)

(edit: Uwe was faster....)

Edited by dummzeuch

Every decent license system that's based on activation has a way for the user to deactivate old devices. Then again, Embarcadero seems to not really trust their paying customers. It's not like their aren't any cracked versions around already... without any of these activation pains. So what is the point? Yes a hindrance to prevent illegal use is good,  but don't make it a pita for your paying customers. DRM anyone?

Edited by Rinzwind
  • Like 2

They keep you buying every year!!!  Moreover, subscription price is hidden!!!  :classic_blush:

https://www.embarcadero.com/update-subscription

You may opt out of your subscription after the first year, however in order to re-subscribe you will be required to purchase a new license when you re-subscribe. Therefore, it is advantageous to maintain your subscription annually.

1 minute ago, TimCruise said:

They keep you buying every year!!!  Moreover, subscription price is hidden!!!  

Not sure where you get this from. The price for the first year and the price for the renewal are clearly shown side by side: https://www.embarcadero.com/app-development-tools-store/delphi

image.thumb.png.d1df8969c099a1893955a47fa30efbf8.png

They also offer subscription for multiple years if you ask for it.

3 hours ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Not sure where you get this from. The price for the first year and the price for the renewal are clearly shown side by side: https://www.embarcadero.com/app-development-tools-store/delphi

Thats why I always feel cheatet, as a loyal, many year subscription customer.

For the normal, official renewal they offered about 27% higher rate than in this offer, while they claim subscription renewal will get lower every year.

I from my perspective think that they choose renewal price by a kind of monte-carlo method, every year new.

Shall I contact my sales office ?

3 hours ago, Uwe Raabe said:

The Pro version new license price is acceptable.  Renewal price is bad!

Popularity of a software is inversely proportional to its Price; and revenue of this software is directly proportional to its Popularity!  :classic_rolleyes:

Edited by TimCruise

42 minutes ago, Rollo62 said:

Thats why I always feel cheatet, as a loyal, many year subscription customer.

For the normal, official renewal they offered about 27% higher rate than in this offer, while they claim subscription renewal will get lower every year.

I from my perspective think that they choose renewal price by a kind of monte-carlo method, every year new.

Shall I contact my sales office ?

If you are from Lockheed Martin, your price will be a 10 times higher!  :classic_biggrin:

1 minute ago, TimCruise said:

If you are from Lockheed Martin, your price will be a 10 times higher!  :classic_biggrin:

I like clear pricing strategies 👍:classic_smile:

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TimCruise said:

Popularity of a software is inversely proportional to its Price; and revenue of this software is directly proportional to its Popularity!

Revenue is proportional to number of sales and price.

15 hours ago, Lachlan Gemmell said:

What if I publish my apps on 3-party non-official app stores?  I just provide user software to future customers as a free service.  :classic_smile:

What if I publish my apps on 3-party non-official app stores?

I have no experience with stores other than Google Play and the Apple Appstore. I'm pretty sure there are no alternative stores for iOS devices.

There is of course side-loading which is possible for just about all Android devices, but is less practical for iOS devices.

So using alternative stores and side loading you would be able to use a single RAD Studio version for longer than if you were going through the official app stores, but within a few years I'd expect something will change and you would need to upgrade. And when I say "upgrade" I actually mean "buy another full price license". Embarcadero stopped offering upgrade pricing a few years back as part of their campaign to get everyone on subscriptions. Occasionally they offer it again for a limited time special but you shouldn't count on it being available.

I just provide user software to future customers as a free service.  :classic_smile:

In that case it sounds like it would be difficult for you to make a business case to move from the community edition to a commercial license.

• Thanks 1