Celso Henrique

IDE being destroyed by new versions

What do you have in your minds to change something that was working extremely fine? Why are you destroying the productivity given by IDE?

In the new version (11), the panels Structure and Object Inspector stopped to work properly.

• I click on component in Form Designer and the respective component is nos selected on Structure panel;
  • I click on component in Form Designer and on Object Inspector the component's properties are showed up, but caption with the component's name does not change;
  • If I select a component on Structure, sometimes, nothing happens! It gets frozen on the last component selected;
  • If I click on component's name in Object Inspector and try to use the mouse wheel, it rolls up the names, but selects the next component from the last selected, thus the list rolls back;
  • If I try to compile after click on Save All, I have to pray to not frozen the entire IDE. In this cases I have to kill the application by Task Manager;
  • Before, I just had to type to call the code completion, but now it's mandatory to use the Ctrl+Space to call it;
  • Until the last version (Sydney), the editor knew when to add or not the parentheses, now, with the parameter "auto parenthesis" checked, it puts parenthesis even they already existing;

I work with Delhi since version 5, it's being 21 years seeing you creating greats things to destroy them shortly thereafter. I have no more energy to see this @#$@$ and stay calm and quiet!

I don't see any of the Object Inspector or Structure Pane problems you mention. I tried everything in both a FireMonkey and VCL project.

I don't totally get the last two items, I always hit Ctrl+Space when I want a suggestion for code completion or parenthesis--didn't even think about it. I haven't seen the double-parenthesis unless I type them.

Can you tell us about your environment:

• Windows OS version
  • Memory
  • Hard disk space free
  • Monitor resolution
  • Project size

Maybe if you're using a 32-bit OS (unsupported) or have very little memory free or something else, it could be affecting this.  Also check Tools > Options > User Interface > Editor > Language and look at each of the tabs under Delphi to make sure you haven't missed a checkbox to get the Code Completion working for you.

Delphi 11 has some problems and it was probably released too early but it certainly is not unusable. 

Hi David,

First of all, thanks for your reply and help.

Follow:

• Windows OS Version: Windows 10 Home Single Language, 21H2, 64bits
  • Processor: Intel Core i7-7500U 2.9GHz
  • Memory: 6GB
  • Hard disk space free: 12,5GB
  • Monitor resolution: Full HD (1920x1080)
  • Project size: attached 
  • Platform: VMWare

The project is VCL.

The behavior is: it starts working fine, but after a while these issues appear. Sometimes it backs to work again, but only after a long time. Looks like there is something running very slow.

Code completion: A long time ago (I think Delphi 2007 or 2009) it was not necessary hit Ctrl+Space to call the code completion. You just typed and it came.

Parentheses: If you use the code completion to call a method with parameters, the completion will put the parentheses even they are already there. See attached.

I'm using almost standard settings of Code Completion (attached). Unhappily we don't have "Classic" option any more, only LSP.

project size.png

parenthesis.png

code infight options.png

1 hour ago, Celso Henrique said:

it starts working fine, but after a while these issues appear

This should be reported to Embarcadero. Until it's fixed, restart the IDE every couple of hours, perhaps (I know, lame work-around).

Code completion: A long time ago (I think Delphi 2007 or 2009) it was not necessary hit Ctrl+Space to call the code completion.

I pulled up Delphi XE to compare, turned on Auto Invoke (I had it unchecked) and the first time I started typing a method, I had to hit Ctrl+Space but after that it did come up automatically. Back to Delphi 10.4/11... you're right, it doesn't work. Found it's already reported in QC: RSP-29827.

Parentheses: If you use the code completion to call a method with parameters, the completion will put the parentheses even they are already there

This one, I don't understand. If you use code completion, the method name and its parameters are placed in the code before you type it, so how could they already be there? In your example, let's say you type "say" and hit Ctrl+Space for code completion, you wouldn't have typed ('') yet so I would expect code completion to put in "SayThis()" for you; how did the extra set of parenthesis with quotes get there?

8 minutes ago, corneliusdavid said:

how did the extra set of parenthesis with quotes get there?

When you use it on an existing method to change its name.

• Like 1

I will continue add here every single issue that I find.

Now, when I call the Use Unit form by keyboard shortcut, the focus is not set on the name field, so I have to use mouse to click there. 

image.png.036163880b6b18295f481a544229d20e.png

- 1 productivity point;

About Code Completion, here is a simple example. In code below I have to hit Ctrl+Space 3 times in a single line/statement.

image.thumb.png.c024926c499fd18c79a19f4af81cc982.png

With Auto Invoke working as it used to, there would be no need to hit any time

20 hours ago, Celso Henrique said:

Now, when I call the Use Unit form by keyboard shortcut, the focus is not set on the name field, so I have to use mouse to click there. 

This doesn't affect my workflow so I will not report this issue in quality portal.
You can either report it or you will have to live with it.

11 hours ago, Cristian Peța said:

This doesn't affect my workflow so I will not report this issue in quality portal.
You can either report it or you will have to live with it.

For me productivity is important.

Hi David,

Sorry for the late. Too many things to do.

On 12/19/2021 at 10:10 PM, corneliusdavid said:

I don't see any of the Object Inspector or Structure Pane problems you mention

1736098723_ERROIDE.thumb.png.d1520cc35ffe2b3580944524a42d72dd.png

Another one. The search also stop to work.

60576947_ERROIDE2-2.png.9a1c5084bd8602512d6710c4069772f3.png

High processor consuming with no specific task. I was coding then the IDE stop to respond.

255302688_ERROIDE3.thumb.png.866d50c5cdda989681936647eff7e6fe.png

Now, the newest and the best one. The compiler is not accepting the value 452 for a smallint property.

1265378119_ERROIDE4.thumb.png.805ecace0e123876805dcee7a78259ff.png

26 minutes ago, Celso Henrique said:

Now, the newest and the best one. The compiler is not accepting the value 452 for a smallint property.

Wrong. The compiler doesn't accept 452 as a member of set of byte. You cannot define a set over a smallint range. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lajos Juhász said:

Wrong. The compiler doesn't accept 452 as a member of set of byte. You cannot define a set over a smallint range. 

Yes. Sorry my bad. I didn't think right. This new version is driving me crazy. I'm really considering back to Tokyo version. 

13 hours ago, Celso Henrique said:

Another one. The search also stop to work.

60576947_ERROIDE2-2.png.9a1c5084bd8602512d6710c4069772f3.png

Should this field even find tPanel? Because there is another field where I can type component name:

image.png.356e3436636c9be95c3911e07c2bb4b3.png

1 hour ago, Vandrovnik said:

Should this field even find tPanel?

Yes. it should. It is the search field for IDE Insight and should find almost everything that the IDE is aware of.

On 1/7/2022 at 6:09 AM, Celso Henrique said:

For me productivity is important.

Report bugs to Embarcadero and post the description and link to each report here so others can vote on them.