audi30tdi

Which version BDE

Hello!

I am using Delphi 7 and BDE to make program, but have now trouble to get the program I make to work on windows 10.

So I wounder, which version is the latest to upgrade to and still using BDE??

Regards

Kåre!

BDE is deprecated for 20 years. You can upgrade Delphi but that will change nothing how BDE interacts with Windows. The only solution is to migrate the application to anothe DAC.

You can still get the depricated BDE with the 11.0. 

"but have now trouble to get the program I make to work on windows 10." - you need to work out if your problem is related to Delphi 7 issues or to the database interface using BDE.

If it is just the Delphi 7 holding you back then in theory you can solve it by using 11.0 and continue using the BDE.

But you are on a road to problems. I would suggest change your interface to FireDAC and never look back ......

Thanks for answer!

Is it easy to convert from Delphi7 with BDE to the nevest Delphi/Embarcadero version with FireDAC, or must I rewrite all my code??

9 minutes ago, audi30tdi said:

Is it easy to convert from Delphi7 with BDE to the nevest Delphi/Embarcadero version with FireDAC, or must I rewrite all my code??

FireDAC was written to be replacement for the BDE and there is a script that converts the properties. It really depends the database and methods from BDE you are using in your code.

Unfortunately if you're using persistent fields you will have to recreate them as most probably FD will require another class.

(You can try to map the data types in the TFDConnection object to the old classes, however I like to keep mapping to minimum.)

Edited by Lajos Juhász
data maping

Thanks again for fast answer............so happy that you people want's to share your info with me!

Have I understand correct, that I have to try to open my Delphi code in the newest Delphi version, and hopefulle compile it with that?!

Is FireDAC included with the latest Delphi version??

In case you're connecting to remote servers you have to buy Enterprise or Architect version. Professional supports only local databases and doesn't include the source code for FD.

Before you open the project you have to migrate your project using the included refind utility using the included FireDAC_Migrate_BDE.txt.

29 minutes ago, audi30tdi said:

Is FireDAC included with the latest Delphi version?? 

Yes

You have a tool to migrate from BDE Components to Firedac ones : "refind" (C:\Users\Public\Documents\Embarcadero\Studio\22.0\Samples\Object Pascal\Database\FireDAC\Tool\reFind)

You will find some step to step migration in docwiki (https://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Sydney/en/ReFind.exe,_the_Search_and_Replace_Utility_Using_Perl_RegEx_Expressions)

But, before this, you have to go on your registered product portal and download BDE for your version.

By experience even if it works, I prefer to create new Firedac components (connection, table and query) because Firedac is more powerful than BDE (i.e. macros)

Edited by Serge_G

5 hours ago, audi30tdi said:

Thanks for answer!

It depends - Delphi 7 did not support Unicode, while newest version do; all char and string variables may need attention. SizeOf(char) = 2 now, strings are not limited to 255 chars...

1 hour ago, Lajos Juhász said:

since Delphi 2.

Hmm, you are right, in Delphi 7 probably shortstring was that string type with 255 chars limit.

I'd tackle this conversion in two steps:

1. Convert from Delphi 7 to whatever newer Delphi version you fancy and keep the BDE. That UNICODE string conversion is less problematic than many people (including me until recently) think. Only very few places need to be changed at all. Unless you were (ab)using strings for storing binary data, that might cause more work.
  2. Once that's done, convert from BDE to whatever database format/access component. I haven't got much experience with this part. We have moved from the BDE to tdbf (mind the license though!) for working with Dbase tables.

Since that rewriting is going to take some time, what are actual issues? What does having trouble mean?

BDE using program written in Delphi 5 works on Windows 10 and Windows 11. Only actual issue is, that sometimes SHAREDMEMLOCATION needs to be changed in BDE configuration after computer restart. Otherwise it works sames as Windows 7.

It is so many genies her, so I keep asking............

Where can I get a BDE that runs with Win10, I have onlye BDE 5.2.0.2, and that I can't install in Win10?? (If I keep using my Delphi7 application until I get time to convert to never version....)

Is it also possible to get the Database Desktop to work on Win10?? I can't get it to start..........

22 hours ago, Serge_G said:

You have to go on your registered product portal and download BDE for your version.

But BDE 5.2.0.2 is one of the last versions (remember deprecated for 20 years an not updated)

44 minutes ago, audi30tdi said:

that I can't install in Win10

It's easy to install BDE on Win 10 if you respect some hints.

- don't install in the default directory (c:\progran files (x86)) but in a non-secured by UAC windows directory

- run BDEAdmin  as administrator

- change NETDIR of paradox (see picture, from my w10 pc)

image.thumb.png.fb73aced24e0da6b8f2a11a6fba3c367.png

- change memory size and address (depending on tour computer)

image.thumb.png.816135a7c121bac5820047c4fe069318.png

- save IDAPI32.CFG to a non-secured by UAC windows directory and confirm it should be the default configuration file

dialog when you exit BDE

image.png.c1c85c95a3c1f2b6aa735c6247a00331.png

Even so, you will run into some problems from time to time (I suspect windows update)

By the way, it's first time I check my version is :classic_biggrin:

image.thumb.png.2ffcddc7ef4144d35c82661a83422bf6.png

Edited by Serge_G
  • Like 1

Just my two cents:

The migration to FireDAC is very much worth it, just to avoid all the BDE pitfalls.
Not to forget that it also gave us a massive performance boost for our MS SQL Server use.

49 minutes ago, Lars Fosdal said:

Just my two cents:

The migration to FireDAC is very much worth it, just to avoid all the BDE pitfalls.

Absolutely. What I meant was, that BDE version should be able to work while FireDAC version is written.

We have not even set configuration file location to user writable location, because all required changes to BDE configuration is done via elevated BDE configuration utility.

Thanks for all tips and answer, I will have so much info to start working towards a new version!!

But have a one last question, I hope, is it possible to get the Database Desktop to work on win10 also?? I can't get it to start.............

9 hours ago, audi30tdi said:

But have a one last question, I hope, is it possible to get the Database Desktop to work on win10 also?? I can't get it to start.............

Not that I know of. It was one of big updates, that broke it. For our internal use we made our own replacement with functionality, that we required...

11 hours ago, audi30tdi said:

Database Desktop

You mean  DBD32.Exe and the 2 errors about directories? 

image.thumb.png.521cd8423369b91ac6f97355ad88fbe0.png

Well, I don't use, it but you have to know some clues

The location of the BDE "Working" and "Private" directories are
  stored in
  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Borland\DBD\7.0\Configuration\WorkDir and
  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Borland\DBD\7.0\Configuration\PrivDir
  respectively. Each directory default value stores the data containing

So my first suggestion is to check this.

Other solution is to install D7 with the same hints as BDE  (but you will get some trouble with coexistence, I ran into during a demo, TClientDataset) and use the DBD32.exe of this version.

But, I have a doubt, if you need this old program, did you mean that you still use Paradox/DBase tables?

Edited by Serge_G

No, I meant:

image.thumb.png.22f7b1d188acc9d6056f382673fb6c8f.png

When clicking "Run the program..." nothing happens. Those directory messages are nothing Windows 10 specific and those where set long time ago, when it still Worked on Windows 10.

Just for testing I removed that configuration from registry. Then it shows the splash, shows those messages about using temporary directory and then closes.

Edited by Virgo

You spoke about Database Desktop not Delphi 7, I am confused 😲

D7 works on Windows 10, I install/uninstall it about once a month

7 minutes ago, Serge_G said:

You spoke about Database Desktop not Delphi 7, I am confused 😲

D7 works on Windows 10, I install/uninstall it about once a month

This is the message Windows 10 shows, when launching dbd32.exe of Database Desktop. Even for Delphi 5 version of Database Desktop. I have no idea, why it is about Delphi 7. But in the end Database Desktop will close without showing main window.

I use Paradox tables in my old application, and therefor I use the Database Desktop. But as @Virgo said, it shows the error, and the nothing more happens after I click run this program without getting help............