Ian Branch

Abnormal file size..

Hi Team,

D10.2.3, Win 10 PC.

I have a suite of 17 Apps in a project all using to a greater or lesser extent some 3rd party libraries.

The Apps are all 32 bit, Debug build.

16 of the Apps range in Build size from, in round figures, 10MB to 39MB.  No problem.

The 17th App however, a single form with relatively few 3rd Party items in use, Builds to 55MB.  Huh?

I am at a loss as to what is causing this blowout in size as to the best I can tell it is 'created' exactly the same as previous and later Apps. 

I would appreciate any suggestions as to where to look for what might be blowing the file size out so dramatically.

Note:  This is not specific to D10.3, I had the same issue with the App in D10.2.3, just now it annoy the hell out of me not understanding what the cause is. :-(

Regards & TIA,

Ian

The default for the linker options of a debug configuration is to include debug information into the produced EXE. That massively increases the size of the EXE, and, if you are using the IDE debugger (for a 32 bit project), is also completely useless, since the IDE debugger gets the debug info from the DCUs, not the EXE.

• Like 3

Hi Attila, Peter,

I am aware that the Debug info is included in the produced exe.  As it is for all my the Apps in the project gp. 

The absolute size is not the issue/question.  What I don't understand is why the blowout in size compared to all the other Apps.

Ian

Analyze your executable. It could have more debug info, more rtti, more resources, more anything.. different linking options, compiler directives, who knows, we can't see those apps.

31 minutes ago, Ian Branch said:

I am aware that the Debug info is included in the produced exe.  As it is for all my the Apps in the project gp. 

The absolute size is not the issue/question.  What I don't understand is why the blowout in size compared to all the other Apps.

There are two types of debug information, one is used for the internal debugger (set in Compiler Options), the other for the external /remote debugger (set in Linker Options). Are you sure that you have added the same kind of debug information to all projects? If you have added the debug info for the external debugger only to that one project, that would explain the difference in size.

Oh?  I wasn't aware there were two places.  Shows how much I don't delve into the inner workings I guess.

Found the second under Linker Options.  Not sure at all how it got set as I don't generally access this area.

Turned it off and now file size is around what was/is expected.

Thanks Thomas.

Ian.