Mahdi Safsafi

Rio quality disappoint

1 hour ago, Stéphane Wierzbicki said:

Hard on believing this! 

Actually I made a mistake in my sentence, because I forgot I keep always disabled Error-Insight! But code-completion work almost flawlessly for me.

Finally the Quality Central issues statuses begin to update. And what do you think?

RSP-21645 (Editor tabs do not show icons) - closed. Resolution: Works As Expected 🙁 . Really, that is how they at Embarcadero see it.

RSP-21636 (Active editor tab is not highlighted when IDE theming is disabled) - closed. Resolution: Won't Fix.

Given this stupid attitude (and obvious intentions to further force the themed IDE despite all its glitches) I highly doubt that I'll renew my subscription when it expires this March. I thank David Millington for personally contacting me but I do not want to further waste my hard earned money for another round of cosmetic IDE changes instead of bug fixing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

I've let my enterprise subscription expire yesterday. It breaks my heart after two decades of working with Delphi but as many others I just lost all confidence in emba/idera.

IMHO complaining but at the same time keep paying ridiculously high subscription fee (compared to other development environments) sends them the wrong message.

I'll gladly resubscribe if things turn around or when Delphi eventually gets auctioned off to a better care-taker.

Edited by mmb
typo
  • Like 4

It would be nice to have Delphi as a plugin/addon for VisualStudio.

This approach saves Embarcadero some resources to focus on Delphi (the language) features.

Several years after the XE editions release and the IDE is still far from good.

I'm using Rio since the begin of the year and it is better than Tokyo. But still far far way of VisualStudio stability/quality.

I guess that even RemObjects has a better IDE now with all the features they added to the language.

2 hours ago, Luis Madaleno said:

It would be nice to have Delphi as a plugin/addon for VisualStudio.

This approach saves Embarcadero some resources to focus on Delphi (the language) features.

Several years after the XE editions release and the IDE is still far from good.

I'm using Rio since the begin of the year and it is better than Tokyo. But still far far way of VisualStudio stability/quality.

I guess that even RemObjects has a better IDE now with all the features they added to the language.

What's impressive about RemObjects is their elements. The team took Pascal language into a new level. And with elements 9 they claim that it's possible to compile to a native CPU rather than to IL.

If VS is so great, then why RemObjects create Water - their own IDE for Windows?

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Mahdi Safsafi said:

What's impressive about RemObjects is their elements. The team took Pascal language into a new level. And with elements 9 they claim that it's possible to compile to a native CPU rather than to IL.

Yeah you can compile to NET, Mono, Java, Mac, Windows, Linux, IOS, Webcore. 
The Extensions to the Pascal-Language are really impressive. And you can mix Pascal, C#, Java, Swift in the same project. 
I'm at moment working with it a lot. (Porting a NET library to Mac). It is Amazing, the integrated Test Tools are great.
Not to say  there is MAC 64 Support....... 

But the best (for me) look at this declaration of a interface and implementing class:

type
  testInterface = public interface
    property Name : String;
  end;

testClass = class(testInterface)
    property Name: String;
  end;

This is amazing....... 

16 minutes ago, Fritzew said:

Yeah you can compile to NET, Mono, Java, Mac, Windows, Linux, IOS, Webcore. 
The Extensions to the Pascal-Language are really impressive. And you can mix Pascal, C#, Java, Swift in the same project. 
I'm at moment working with it a lot. (Porting a NET library to Mac). It is Amazing, the integrated Test Tools are great.
Not to say  there is MAC 64 Support....... 

But the best (for me) look at this declaration of a interface and implementing class:

type
  testInterface = public interface
    property Name : String;
  end;

testClass = class(testInterface)
    property Name: String;
  end;

This is amazing....... 

Great ! Few years ago I really liked what they did with Oxygen. The only things that stopped me from using their products was the lack of native CPU support.

I really appreciate if you can answer the following questions (based on your experience):

- What do you think about their IDE, is't stable, mature enough ?

- Did you test to deploy to a native CPU ? and how was the quality/performance there ? 

- About the IDE, on Windows I use the VS Integration most of the time, because on my machine it is open always. On Mac I'm using
there Fire IDE and I like it. It is different but really fast.

- Native CPU is fast but I have not done any profiling. To be honest if you look what the net runtime is doing, there is not more any reason to discuss "native" versus "CPU". 
But if you have more Questions let start a new thread, because we are now really off topic here

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kryvich said:

If VS is so great, then why RemObjects create Water - their own IDE for Windows?

1. Because they have full control and can do with it what suits their needs the best

2. Dogfooding

3. They also have IDE for Mac - Fire (and that was first one they wrote - AFAIK when they started that project there was no VS for Mac) - Water is just Windows variant to prove cross-platform viability of their approach

4. Here we were talking about VSCode that fits nicely for some things (not VS), but still is resource hungry Electron app. I don't know about Water, but Fire is native Mac application - which means fast.

5. When it comes to VS itself and VS being so nice... I don't know. Last time I used it it was dog slow comparing to Delphi IDE (around XE time).  

6. Having plugins for various IDEs can be nice and certainly is good place to start when you are just starting - but nothing beats fully dedicated IDE under your control.

Edited by Dalija Prasnikar
  • Like 2

On 2/1/2019 at 8:27 PM, Kryvich said:

Because Microsoft dropped support for Visual Studio Shell only.

1 hour ago, Luis Madaleno said:

Because Microsoft dropped support for Visual Studio Shell only.

No i think that is not the reason, dalija has the right answer i think