Ian Branch

Printing in Dark Mode????

Hi Team,

Is it just my environment???

I thought I would give Delphi Dark Mode a try.

Seems OK while working /developing.  Not overly enthused about it but willing to let it grow on me.

I printed a small unit..  WTH!!

Unreadable.  All the white text on the screen was printed white on the printer. Ummmm.

Is there  a fix for this or do I have to switch to an IDE lighter mode before printing??

Yes, I print in Colour but I would have thought this would have been accommodated.

Regards,

Ian

• Haha 1

While I agree this is a really annoying issue... may I ask why you decided to print a unit...?

Let's just say I am on the wrong side of 70 and I prefer to sit down with a cuppa and a piece of paper and read through a new piece of code, making notes on the paper as I go.

In this case it was only a small unit.

Most cases I just print longer function and/or procedures so I can digest them.

Old habits die hard.....

• Like 2

I can not imagine myself sitting down, debugging in head instead of news with my morning coffee.

Respect for you there.

I use two ways:

1. Text - I will copy it to another application. Text editor, Excel, Word ... The reason for Word is the fact that I have a line length of 120 characters. This will fit in one line in Word. When I copy a block, I lose the line numbering. That usually doesn't matter
  2. Screenshot - I will edit the given image (negative).

I'm not used to printing from the IDE. It kind of doesn't suit me.

Most likely printing unit sources has been in no ones mind when dark theme was introduced. I suggest filing a QP report. Otherwise this will for sure never be taken care of.

• Like 2

On rare occasions, I also like to print source code on paper, and go through it, and make notes.

However, I never print directly from the IDE. I copy the parts that I want and paste it into Visual Studio Code (because it has more advanced syntax highlighting). I then print from there, or paste it into a Word document and print from there. It takes a few seconds, but the results are top notch.

Hi Team,

Turns out, perhaps not surprisingly, that there is already an RSP for this from D10.3.

https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-31142?jql=text%20~%20%22Print%22

Feel free to vote for it, I have.

Don't know if there is any way to escalate it into D10.4.2 or D11 issue notice.

Ian

26 minutes ago, Ian Branch said:

Turns out, perhaps not surprisingly, that there is already an RSP for this from D10.3.

Good news then! This is not an issue brought by the new version!

Bad news then!  Nothings been done on this matter since 10.3!  😞

Edited by Ian Branch
Yes, there have been improvements in other areas... :-)

3 minutes ago, Ian Branch said:

Bad news then!  Nothings been done about it since 10.3!  😞

My comment was meant to be ironic. Sounded more ironic before I pressed send anyway.

I'd rephrase "nothing" to "nothing in this matter". There has been a significant improvement in speed and accuracy of error insight, suggestions - at least in small to midsize projects. The IDE got more stable (once you disable LiveBindings and the welcome screen) and some convenience features were introduced (e.g. Ctrl+click on inherited). Hell, my IDE did not crash by itself since D10.1, not even at work with an endless amount of (even custom) components installed.

Delphi is getting better in lots of ways. Alas, this still doesn't mean that the speed / willingness of Emba fixing bugs is not tragicomic.