So , I get stucked sending from my existing D7 app e-mail with recognizible characters in Subject ( mail body works OK ) - win XP, D7, new indy 10.6.2. So i give a chance to ICS , that I sucessfully installed old version 8.58,  but I could not send e-mail due to some strange error . I tryed to install new ICS 8.68 , to support tls 1.3 , but delphi can't install design time ICS components. Is it due to XP os , or I'm doing something wrong?

A

Since XP has been obsolete for several years, we don't test ICS against it, only Windows 7 and later, and that will be dropped soon.  But there shouldn't be anything specific in ICS to stop it installing. 

What specific errors did you get with V8.58, and with V8.68?

Angus

28 minutes ago, Anpore said:

I could not send e-mail due to some strange error

We cannot help you is you don't even mention the errors you get.

Does it works with the sample applications delivered in ICS distribution? You should really start with those samples to verify your setup is OK.

OK ,  so as I said ver. 8.58 installed OK ( Win XP, D7 ) . I compiled demo for sending e-mails (OverbyteISCsendmails) work OK with port 25, but on 587 said:

530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. go41sm3757130ejc.200 - gsmtp
< 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. go41sm3757130ejc.200 - gsmtp
RequestDone Rq=11 Error: 500 Authentication Type could not be determined.
Error, stoped All-In-One demo
So it is clear that somewhere I should start TLS but in demo I cant find it.  

All that is with older version ( in my opinnion this should be easy one ). 

As I want to be ready for TLS 1.3 , I wanted to install ver 8.68 with new OPEN _SSL3.01 , but when I tryed to install design time first I got error "ncrypt.dll missing". I found ncrypt dll online,  installed it to win\system32 dir , but then I got error "The procedure entry pont EtwEventwrite could not be located in dll  ntdll.dll ."

Hope this will bring some light to problem , and maybe even to solution.

Thank you in advance 

A

530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. - this simply means the server requires an SSL/TLS connection, and you have not sent the command to start it.  You are using the old sample that does not support SSL, you should be using OverbyteIcsSslMailSnd.dpr or OverbyteIcsMailQuTst.dpr (but that may not be in old versions).

The ncrypt.dll missing error means new versions of ICS are no longer supported on Windows XP, sorry.  I recently added some functions to access SSL certificates and private keys that needed newer Windows APIs not in Windows XP.  ICS V8.66 is probably the last that supported Windows XP, I'll update the documentation.

Angus

14 hours ago, Anpore said:

I compiled demo for sending e-mails (OverbyteISCsendmails)

You are using the wrong sample. If you want encrypted mail, use with OverbyteIcsSslMailSnd.dproj.

Also, our recent OpenSSL DLLs no longer work on Windows XP either, and ICS has removed support for unsupported OpenSSL versions that might still work on XP.   We also digitally sign the OpenSSL DLLs and older versions of Windows XP do not recognise the root certificate used today. If you want to support the latest security standards, you need Windows 10.

Angus

Angus, Francois ,

all clear. It seems that I should move developement platform to Win 10. At first I will transfer D7  environment, and after that, will try to move to D14+.

Thank you .

A

Angus, Francois ,

as previously stated I have moved my development environment to WIN 10, D7.1 , and install ICS 8.68. 

Every demo compiled fine , and I am working fine with gmail smtp account  with SSL on port 587  ( SSLInternet demo ) . But, with local e-mail provider , which I have e-mail account and MS Outlook works fine, I can't even connect to server -  message after few minutes is :

421 Cannot connect to SMTP server 195.29.150.117 (195.29.150.117:25), connect error 10060
< 421 Cannot connect to SMTP server 195.29.150.117 (195.29.150.117:25), connect error 10060
RequestDone Rq=0 Error: Winsock - Interrupted system call

Any idea what to try?

Goran

Any idea what to try?

Forget about D7! Try with recent Delphi version. Community Edition is free (Commercial use has some restrictions) and good.

• Like 1

Francois, I succeeded to compile all demos, send via gmail with TLS, send via mailjet server without TLS and everything is working well with D7 + ICS 8.68.   Main problem is that local server provider that is working with MS Outlook, but is blocking connections from compiled test app - even connection is rejected.  

BTW, for now it's no option to go to newer Delphi version (I would really like to do that), but it requires too much time that I simply don't have.

If there is no idea why  connection to server is rejected, I have solved problem with mailjet or gmail, but I would  like to resolve the problem for the sake of knowledge .

Goran

Main problem is that local server provider that is working with MS Outlook, but is blocking connections from compiled test app - even connection is rejected.

What EXACT error message do you receive "connection is rejected" is not enough to tell.

Which protocol are you using with Outlook? Outlook support several protocols. You have to look in Outlook mail account configuration. Make sure the account is configured as SMTP (mail send) and POP3 (Mail receive), or SMTPS/POP3S if SSL/TLS are used.

Eact message is:

421 Cannot connect to SMTP server 195.29.150.117 (195.29.150.117:25), connect error 10060
< 421 Cannot connect to SMTP server 195.29.150.117 (195.29.150.117:25), connect error 10060
RequestDone Rq=0 Error: Winsock - Interrupted system call

and yes, acccount is configured as SMTP. 

I'll check the firewall on the router , I closed the win10 firewall off without success.

Microsoft makes it difficult to completely disable Windows Firewall on Windows 10, even if it's disabled you may find the task is still running.  The Services GUI does not allow you to disable Windows Defender Firewall, it can only be done by changing the registry and rebooting.  Also, doing so can upset applications that attempt to add firewall rules and assume it's always running.

Not saying this is the reason for your problem, I'd check if you can connect to other servers first.

Angus

Could you connect to the server using Windows command line utility telnet?

Use this command line:

telnet 195.29.150.117 25

BTW: 25 is standard SMTP port.

If connection fails, then as Angus said, it is probably a firewall issue. If it succeed, it should also succeed with ICS.

On 3/7/2022 at 11:06 PM, FPiette said:

Could you connect to the server using Windows command line utility telnet?

Use this command line:

telnet 195.29.150.117 25

BTW: 25 is standard SMTP port.

If connection fails, then as Angus said, it is probably a firewall issue. If it succeed, it should also succeed with ICS.

Next step: try "TLS telnet" from OpenSSL bundle. Your issue looks like network one not ICS related