AntiClasxson1958

Problems with installing RAD Studio 11 in Wine

Good evening,

My name is Edwin Andres Martinez Suarez, and I want to resolve a problem with installing RAD Studio 11 in Wine 5.0:

I have only this tools:

SO: Lubuntu 21.04

Wine version: 5.0.3

RAD Studio Trial Version: 11 (Alexandria)

When I was installing RAD Studio 11 in this Wine version, the setup is failuring and having a following errors demostrated in this following images

306417069_Errorscreen.jpg.5048548c464e89197ade1bd5dce4c2f9.jpg

1085849054_Errorscreen2.thumb.jpg.b650d0db105a028995f705d09d729fbc.jpg

463085059_Errorscreen3.thumb.jpg.bf5452573a06aa178be22b3f06a1bbae.jpg

How I can resolve this problem?, please!

The latest version of WINE is 7.0. You are using a very, very old version and trying to use the latest software with that. I would guess you are really shooting yourself in the foot trying to get it to work in a few year old version of WINE.

• Haha 1

I experimented with Delphi (I think 10.2) and Wine but never got it to work completely. Everything more complex than a single form caused AVs and other funky things.

Maybe things already changed at Wine, but my latest experience is that it won't fully work, ever.

We deploy our compiled app for mac in Wine, via codeweavers, and it works great. It is a very sophisticated UI with many 3rd party components. However, I admit we have not tried to run the Delphi IDE in WINE.

19 hours ago, aehimself said:

Everything more complex than a single form caused AVs and other funky things.

So it performed identically to running on Windows? :classic_biggrin:

I've got a cutting edge Linux desktop; tomorrow I'll give the trial of Rad Studio 11 a go with the latest version of WINE staging (a series of patches on top of WINE) and Valve's Proton fork of WINE if necessary and see if I can get working. I've got a reasonable amount of experience poking Windows software with a stick until it runs under Linux.

• Haha 1

Is any modern Delphi on the supported applications list for Wine? The last time I looked (which admittedly was many years ago), only Delphi up to version 7 was supported.

OK, I just looked for supported Delphi versions.

The latest officially version apparently is Delphi XE8, and that even with "Gold" Status:

What works

• Designing (VCL form designer and object inspector)
  • Writing code
  • Error insight
  • Compiling
  • Debugging

What does not

• Installer needs workarounds

So, chances are, that the Delphi 11 installer will need the same workarounds. They are listed on that very page. I haven't tried it though.

Edited by dummzeuch

OK, just checking in to say that I've gotten a Access Violation error in rtl280.bpl when trying to install with the latest version of WINE. The fun thing is when one does a Google search on "rtl280.bpl" one gets back five pages of results, basically all of them about error messages from Delphi. :classic_sad: I'm going to try fiddling with things some more.

19 hours ago, dummzeuch said:

So, chances are, that the Delphi 11 installer will need the same workarounds.

Not those workarounds. Those workarounds would have you setting up a 32bit prefix, which won't work for Delphi anymore. It also has other tricks like installing IE8 (which you can't readily do from a 64bit prefix) and installing .NET 3.5. I got to the point I'm at by using a 64bit prefix, installing corefonts and, per one error message, installing .NET 4.5.

Now I need to proceed to bear it with a stick. I'm sure the IDE relies upon 76 ancient, proprietary bits of Microsoft software that aren't documented anywhere.....

Interesting, is it possible to copy an installed IDE to a different machine and run it thus avoiding the installer. I know there are portable versions of RAD so it seems doable