A.M. Hoornweg

DocWiki.Embarcadero.com does Russian Roulette.

How long has it been now that the docwiki is dysfunctional, one week? Two? 

The site will only work once in five attempts or so, all the other attempts show an error log saying the database backend can't be reached.  There's some kind of load balancer in front that doesn't know which of the servers behind it is actually working and which is not....   The end result is like Russian Roulette ! 

@Embarcadero: Guys, this is how not to do load balancing. At least make sure your load balancer knows which servers actually work!

There is no need to panic. It's out for about 2 two weeks. There was a recent webinar from Ranorex that modern IT companies now have a monthly schedule for release. So before we all panic we have just to wait another 2 weeks and see whenever that time frame is used in Idera or not.

• Haha 2

If our web services were offline for a month, we'd be in deep shit.

The monthly schedule is a normal release schedule, not an outage response schedule.

The outage is annoying, but the lack of info from Idera/EMBT is catastrophic for their reputation.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Lajos Juhász said:

There is no need to panic. It's out for about 2 two weeks. There was a recent webinar from Ranorex that modern IT companies now have a monthly schedule for release. So before we all panic we have just to wait another 2 weeks and see whenever that time frame is used in Idera or not.

Breaking a production system in the process of releasing something is simply not done. One first gets the new system ready, only then is the old one taken offline. A two weeks outage is dramatic with respect to the perceived reliability of a company.

(edit - typo)

Edited by A.M. Hoornweg

In this case Idera/Embarcadero has no problems. The website used for new customers is working fine. It's just the docwiki that is down that is used only by customers that already paid. Why would they worry? They can get away with no roadmap, no timeframe when the critical errors will be fixed in Delphi.

We that already using Delphi should know to work without a proper documentation.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Lajos Juhász said:

We that already using Delphi should know to work without a proper documentation.

I was hoping to save some time by finding out if an existing class is suitable for my needs. More specifically, I wanted to know if tStringbuilder has functionality to use it as a fifo buffer.  

If this was some kind of individual and super complex system that is has integrations with a dozen other systems, I'd probably understand. But this is just a wiki! How difficult could it possibly be?

33 minutes ago, Der schöne Günther said:

But this is just a wiki! How difficult could it possibly be?

Maybe it's a cloud thing where they don't have direct access. I mean they should have a backup copy of the database and could set up a new server very quickly. Also it's possibly that they have used all the money allocated for hardware and will have to wait for the new business year to allocate money to rebuild the infrastructure.

It's tradition. Since newsgroup days

Somebody shutdown THE server that could never be shutdown...

5 hours ago, A.M. Hoornweg said:

some kind of load balancer

A load balancer for a (mostly static) wiki site....
I reacted spinally to that in the callstack when this started.

If only they would have used Delphi with RTC.

I do and i have not had a down f-ing minute.

Oh and load... yeah. We have that.

IMHO this is a pointer to our future come "low-code".

Meh!!!