RonaldK

.NET kill the Delphi IDE

Since a few weeks the Delphi 11.0 IDE crashes suddenly.

Neither an error message nor does this happen when entering or operating the IDE.

The eventlog show this:

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: bds.exe, Version: 28.0.42600.6491, Zeitstempel: 0x612d6e01
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: clr.dll, Version: 4.7.3910.0, Zeitstempel: 0x61b3f594
Ausnahmecode: 0xc00000fd
Fehleroffset: 0x004559ad
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x24c0
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d8377b789f2180
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\22.0\bin\bds.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\clr.dll
Berichtskennung: f70b0408-0121-4d54-bc26-9c8fbc6e3ad2
Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets: 
Anwendungs-ID, die relativ zum fehlerhaften Paket ist: 

It seems that the root of this is the .NET clr.dll.

Is this a known problem here?

8 minutes ago, Lars Fosdal said:

Which OS are you running the IDE on?

Windows Server 2019

18 minutes ago, Der schöne Günther said:

Where did you get a 12 year old .NET 4.0 from?

Delphi need and use it.
If you look to the Delphi .NET libs. They need 4.x:

// C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\22.0\bin\Borland.Build.Tasks.Common.dll
// Borland.Build.Tasks.Common, Version=28.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=91d62ebb5b0d1b1b
// Global type: <Module>
// Architecture: AnyCPU (64-bit preferred)
// Runtime: v4.0.30319
// This assembly is signed with a strong name key.
// Hash algorithm: SHA1

Since this crash also happens when not working in the IDE, I suspect it might have something to do with .NET's garbage collector.

Edited by RonaldK

Same situation with the latest Delphi 11.1

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: bds.exe, Version: 28.0.44500.8973, Zeitstempel: 0x6227d05c
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: clr.dll, Version: 4.7.3910.0, Zeitstempel: 0x61b3f594
Fehleroffset: 0x004559ad
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x57c
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d83e9a646f0d6d
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\22.0\bin\bds.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\clr.dll

For what functionality does Delphi use the .NET framework?
Anything that I can switch off?

Edited by RonaldK
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, RonaldK said:

For what functionality does Delphi use the .NET framework?

The current IDE architecture was originally introduced in Delphi 8 to support development of Delphi.NET applications.  So there was a lot of .NET-oriented features in the IDE itself.  But nowadays, with Delphi.NET being long gone, pretty much the only thing left in the IDE that still uses .NET is the refactoring tools that parse and manipulate code.  Replacing that functionality to remove .NET is a huge effort, which is why it hasn't been done yet.

Edited by Remy Lebeau

IMO, The .NET bits should be replaced instead of once more being patched to fix the broken code completion and refactoring.

14 hours ago, Remy Lebeau said:

But nowadays, with Delphi.NET being long gone, pretty much the only thing left in the IDE that still uses .NET is the refactoring tools that parse and manipulate code. 

I'm not using refactoring.
Is there a way to disable/remove the refactoring from Delphi?

6 hours ago, RonaldK said:

I'm not using refactoring.
Is there a way to disable/remove the refactoring from Delphi?

Try removing/disabling the refactoride*.bpl package in the IDE's "Known IDE Packages" Registry key.

Edited by Remy Lebeau
  • Thanks 1

I find refactoring often broken in that it doesn't work but it (to my knowledge) has never crashed Delphi. Out of curiosity, I moved the "refactoride280.bpl" value to a different key, restarted Delphi, and refactoring was no longer in the menu.

Theoretically, that's one .NET package out. However, I noticed there's another one named, "dotnetcoreide280.bpl." That's obviously got something to do with .NET. I tried removing that and now compiling a small cross-platform app in Delphi 11.1 gives me the error, "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." I put the registry key back and it compiles fine.

Thinking about the original question here a little more, I think the problem might be related to the OS:

On 3/14/2022 at 2:35 AM, RonaldK said:

Windows Server 2019

I think most developers run Delphi on Windows 10, which would have all the libraries a typical Windows user would need for a variety of applications. But Windows Server is not an end-user operating system so leaves many things out. It may be that a manual install of .NET or related libraries/tools may need to be done in order for Delphi to work properly on Windows Server.

1 minute ago, corneliusdavid said:

Thinking about the original question here a little more, I think the problem might be related to the OS:

I'm working on Windows Server for many  years. So far there have been no problems.

This new .NET issue has been popping up for the past few weeks. I think it has more to do with .NET than with Delphi.
Maybe Remy's suggestion will help.

8 minutes ago, RonaldK said:

I'm working on Windows Server for many  years. So far there have been no problems.

That's good to know. Did the problem just start with Delphi 11?

2 minutes ago, corneliusdavid said:

That's good to know. Did the problem just start with Delphi 11?

Yes.
The Event Log log the first occurrence at 18.Feb. 2022.
Delphi 11 previously ran without this problem.
Maybe a .NET update brought this problem.

22 hours ago, Remy Lebeau said:

Try removing/disabling the refactoride*.bpl package in the IDE's "Known IDE Packages" Registry key.

It doesn't help. The Refactoring menu is gone, but the IDE still dies anyway.

Some .NET libs are still loaded by the IDE:

Borland.Build.Tasks.Common.dll 
Borland.Studio.Vcl.Design.Refactoring.dll
and many more.

On 3/24/2022 at 9:58 AM, RonaldK said:

Maybe a .NET update brought this problem.

Here's what I would try: manually download and install .NET. Since the error messages indicate both 4.0 and 4.7 (from what I gather reading your original post), install both versions. Those installs might include additional files that the standard Delphi install is missing or expects to already be in place. It might work--I don't know, I'm just throwing this out there.

On 3/25/2022 at 6:33 PM, corneliusdavid said:

Here's what I would try: manually download and install .NET. Since the error messages indicate both 4.0 and 4.7 (from what I gather reading your original post), install both versions. Those installs might include additional files that the standard Delphi install is missing or expects to already be in place. It might work--I don't know, I'm just throwing this out there.

All .NET updates are installed but the problem persists with the new .NET version (4.7 -> 4.8)

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: bds.exe, Version: 28.0.44500.8973, Zeitstempel: 0x6227d05c
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: clr.dll, Version: 4.8.4470.0, Zeitstempel: 0x61b731cd
Fehleroffset: 0x004d556a
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x1140
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d848c22be05e31

At this point, I'd contact Embarcadero support. It's an installation issue that renders use of the product inoperable so would be a free tech support incident.

5 minutes ago, corneliusdavid said:

At this point, I'd contact Embarcadero support.

I don't think he will help me. I know the answer: Windows 2019 is not supported:classic_mellow:
Unfortunately I didn't have a good experience with the Embarcadero support.