Uwe Raabe

Delphi Icons with Version Info

After getting tired of clicking the wrong one, I created some simple taskbar icons for Delphi with an apparent version shown. Currently there are icons for

• Delphi 10 Seattle 
  • Delphi 10.1 Berlin
  • Delphi 10.2 Tokyo
  • Delphi 10.3 Rio
  • Delphi 10.4 Sydney
  • Delphi 11 Alexandria

This is an example for Delphi 11:

1507465173_Delphi11.png.8a00b73c468f59da13cd0309ec3d0094.png

And this is what my taskbar now looks like:

image.png.3a0fceb346f1b5b9a0618e3cf044772a.png

All these icons are available on GitHub: https://github.com/UweRaabe/DelphiIcons

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

THANK YOU!!  Simple, great idea. Very helpful.

And just replacing the helmet icon with one that is less stylized and more recognizable is nice too.

Edited by Tom F

And here's an 11.1 icon of the same type. Image is below. But there's also a .ico file attached that you can download.  

image.png.ce83607439da44b84727f7f54309925f.png

Delphi 11.1 icon.ico

Edited by Tom F

Nice! Although you will have a hard time to install Delphi 11 and Delphi 11.1 on the same machine.

This might be a dumb question, but what do you use these icons for? For the IDE? If yes, how? Just assign it to the .lnk file that starts it?

I use them to distinguish all the Delphi icons in the taskbar. For that I Shift-Right-Click on the icon and select Eigenschaften (Settings?), switch to Verknüpfungen (Links?) and change the icon with Anderes Symbol (Change Icon?). This only affects the taskbar icon.

For desktop icons there is always the caption, while taskbar icons only reveal the inner soul when hovering over it.

Sorry for the German captions and the possibly wrong translations. I just have no English Windows at hand to check.

Thanks for the clarification.

Just in case anybody has got problems understanding what Uwe wrote:

Eigenschaften -> Properties

Verknüpfungen -> Shortcuts

Anderes Symbol -> Change Icon

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Uwe Raabe said:

I use them to distinguish all the Delphi icons in the taskbar. For that I Shift-Right-Click on the icon and select Eigenschaften (Settings?), switch to Verknüpfungen (Links?) and change the icon with Anderes Symbol (Change Icon?). This only affects the taskbar icon.

For desktop icons there is always the caption, while taskbar icons only reveal the inner soul when hovering over it.

Sorry for the German captions and the possibly wrong translations. I just have no English Windows at hand to check. 

Should this have an effect immediately or after restarting the computer?

I just tried for one of our tool. But unfortunately that doesn't work for me.  The icon in the taskbar looks the same, but when I open the form of Settings-Shortcuts again, I see the new icon at the top. Even if I click the button Change Icon again, I see the new icon here and the path to the ico file is correct.

I have 64-bit Win 10 Pro (21H1) and i work via RDP (in case it should have important).

1 hour ago, PaPaNi said:

I have 64-bit Win 10 Pro (21H1) and i work via RDP (in case it should have important).

Most probably you have to empty the Windows icon cache.

It happens sporadically by itself, but as not everyone knows how to clear the internal icon cache, I suggest a restart.

Thank you for the answer! I did not have time to restart the computer and after a couple of days the icon updated itself. But it was educational because I learned a little about the icon cache.

FWIW, this is a batch file I use for forcibly refreshing the icon cache without rebooting

taskkill /f /im explorer.exe
cd /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
del IconCache.db /a
start explorer.exe

• Like 1

On 3/21/2022 at 5:35 PM, Darian Miller said:

taskkill /f /im explorer.exe cd /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local del IconCache.db /a start explorer.exe

Its works. But there is one thing what i don't like - all Explorer-windows will be closed.

So i took the solution from @0x8000FFFF and modified for me -  I created one Link on the desktop:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /k ie4uinit.exe -show

and im almost happy. Almost becose the cmd-Window will be not automatic closed after work. I must find, how i can make that.

Thank you!

CMD /C    Run Command and then terminate

CMD /K    Run Command and then return to the CMD prompt.
          This is useful for testing, to examine variables
  • Like 1