Uwe Raabe

Delphi 11.1 is available

And now comes the long-standing debate we have with ourselves: "Do I take the risk and download it? Or do I wait until some other poor schmoe becomes an unwitting tester"  

I'm soooo tempted to give it a try! 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Tom F said:

Or do I wait until some other poor schmoe becomes an unwitting tester

What do you think all the beta testers did during the last weeks?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Uwe Raabe said:

We have no idea as it's most probably sealed by NDA agreement.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

The same thing they always do:  GREAT WORK.   We all owe a lot to them.  THANK YOU, beta testers.

But, as we've seen over the years, releases from EMB still seem to have regressions. No?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Doing their best to avoid an even bigger disaster? :classic_laugh:

• Like 4
  • Haha 9
  • Sad 1

So, literally one and half hour ago we finally switched main branch to Alexandria. And now this...

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Found and reported load of bugs that haven't been fixed and aren't in the public QP. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, David Heffernan said:

Found and reported load of bugs that haven't been fixed and aren't in the public QP. 

At least not up to this day...

1 hour ago, David Heffernan said:

Maybe @Uwe Raabe tried to suggest that the beta testers gained access to the repository and instead of QP they were able to check in solution for all the bugs in Jira.

• Like 1

Does it require reinstalling? 

It does. Fuck. 

Anyway, yay!

Edited by ioan
  • Sad 1

Just installed 11.1! The installation ran smoothly ( uninstalling / reinstalling ) I used Web Installer. 
I compiled a few projects successfully. I really want to test the debugger! 11.0 was driving me nuts!!

I will only point out that unless you delete the registry, all installed add-ons will be preserved.

• Like 2

Downloaded and installed via the Web Installer.

No Issues.  Had to rebuild a couple of 3rd Party libraries.

Observations thus far..

1.  All add-ins except GetIt add-ins, preserved.

2.  Don't mind the coloured background in the welcome page.

3.  Backward step - I rebuilt 21 projects.  Moving from D10.4.2 to D11, all projects were physically smaller.  From D11 to D11.1, all projects are larger.  Not a biggie but a little surprised.

4.  Getting some access violation errors in vcl280.bpl when exiting - This could be due to other 3rd party libraries att.

5.  Build for the 21 projects took approx 3m 35s in D11.  Approx 3m 49s in D11.1.  This includes EurekaLog processing.

I continue to play/investigate.

Still hoping for WUPPDI & Bookmarks.  🙂

Ian

Edited by Ian Branch

5 hours ago, Tom F said:

Do I take the risk and download it?

This isn't a "new" version (like 10.4 Sydney over 10.3 Rio), this is an in-place, dot-release update to 11 Alexandria. Yes, it uninstalls your current version 11.0 installation (if you installed it).

Strange that the numbering scheme is a little different than the 10.x series (e.g. 10.1 Berlin and 10.0 Seattle).

6 minutes ago, corneliusdavid said:

Strange that the numbering scheme is a little different than the 10.x series (e.g. 10.1 Berlin and 10.0 Seattle).

People were confused by previous numbering scheme and plenty of people thought that 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 and 10.4 were just updates not major releases.

So current numbering scheme for major releases is full number 11 vas major release and 11.1 is update (there were several patches, but they didn't have separate number) and next major release will be 12. Of course, it is possible that there will be other updates for version 11.

Edited by Dalija Prasnikar

1 minute ago, Dalija Prasnikar said:

So current numbering scheme for major releases is full number 11 vas major release and 11.1 is update (there were several patches, but they didn't have separate number) and next major release will be 12

Excellent! I like that method much better.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dalija Prasnikar said:

plenty of people thought that 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 and 10.4 were just updates not major releases

for sure not just because of the numbers

• Haha 4

The Docwiki links for new features and fixes in 11.1 are not working (here).

I am unable to debug my main project using Rad Studio 11.1 - I get random entry point not found errors(runs fine outside the ide or in Release config, but of course then breakpoints don't work). Embarcadero knew about the error but here we are, yet another version unusable for me. Beyond frustrated. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Vincent Parrett said:

Embarcadero knew about the error

Can you send the number in QP? I am curious to see the detail.

3 minutes ago, SwiftExpat said:

Can you send the number in QP? I am curious to see the detail.

I will when they make it public - but much of the discussion happened on a private embarcadero forum.

• Sad 1

I posted a new issue since the issue occurs with the release build and my other issue had extra problems that may or may not be related.

https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-37603

I have narrowd this down to the Linking\Debug Information setting - turning that on in the Release config causes the same issue.. seems like a memory corruption issue to me (the app runs fine outside the IDE). 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1