Uwe Raabe

Delphi 11.1 is available

And some are no longer MVPs (I remember another well known German MVP), probably because of being too honest

• Sad 1

That must not be the actual reason for ending ones MVP status. Being an MVP needs a significant amount of time which not everyone is able or willing to invest.

4 hours ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Being an MVP needs a significant amount of time which not everyone is able or willing to invest.

Why?

I thought it was an honorary title.

45 minutes ago, Anders Melander said:

I thought it was an honorary title.

That may as well be, but besides the undeniable benefits it comes with some obligations.

I enjoy being an MVP and benefit greatly from conversing with esteemed colleagues, many of whom are much more experienced and widely knowledgeable than me.

I keep a track of all the time I spend on MVP related tasks. At my standard programming hourly rate I spend significantly more time on MVP work than the cost of the

annual subscription for "RAD Studio Enterprise". So yes, @Uwe Raabeis correct it does come with "some obligations".

• Like 2

Without going into details, it merely boils down to blogging, writing, discussing, answering and presenting all sorts of things related to Embarcadero products.

Speaking for myself, I invest a good time into this forum and its German counterpart, as well as pestering people to file valuable bug reports.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Uwe Raabe said:

That must not be the actual reason for ending ones MVP status. Being an MVP needs a significant amount of time which not everyone is able or willing to invest.

Jeroen Wiert-Pluimers lost his MVP status because he kept posting articles about the security flaws on Embarcadero's website that he repeatedly informed them of and they declined to fix. Joanna Carter believed she lost her MVP status when she posted about the cost of Delphi being too high. About ten years ago there was a discussion in the comment section of a blog post from Jolyon Duranko-Smith and Joanna Carter, David Intersimone and Nick Hodges all ended up taking part. Joanna mentioned her belief about losing her MVP status. Hodges and Intersimone kept insisting this wasn't the reason. When Carter asked why then, the response was "You know why!" She insisted she didn't. They said they couldn't say because of privacy issues. She said she'd waive any privacy issues and post the reason. They refused again and continued to decline to tell her why she was removed as an MVP. It was rather bizarre.

3 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Without going into details, it merely boils down to blogging, writing, discussing, answering and presenting all sorts of things related to Embarcadero products.

So, "paid" shills. My bad for thinking it was something else.

I guess I could have just googled it: https://www.embarcadero.com/embarcadero-mvp-program

https://community.embarcadero.com/blogs/entry/are-you-asking-about-mvp-1407

Q: Can MVP criticize Embarcadero?

A: Criticism is not the life an MVP live. Criticism takes too much energy, which can be spent for new ideas and new projects. For helping other developers.

LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Anders Melander said:

Such as?

If you're MVP Bruce McGee, getting yourself appointed a moderator of the Delphi subreddit and then deleting or shadowbanning even mildly critical posts, or warning posters to "watch themselves".

19 minutes ago, Anders Melander said:

I remember that incident. Classic Nick.

To be fair, the Nick Hodges of today isn't like that anymore. I think once he stopped posting in the old forum he became a much happier person. Even he admitted that that environment tended to bring out the worst in people. Apparently he's now the developer advocate at Rollbar, so he's no longer employed working with Delphi either. I rather like New Nick.

9 minutes ago, Joseph MItzen said:

Even he admitted that that environment tended to bring out the worst in people.

I don't think it was the environment that turned the forums poisonous. I think it was the almost complete refusal to acknowledge the many problems which alienated a lot of former champions of Delphi (myself included) and made them feel betrayed. Disgruntled fans are often very vocal in their criticism.

Anyway, water under the bridge.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Anders Melander said:

So, "paid" shills.

I wouldn't say so - at least as I tend to handle it. I write about things I find interesting or assume it being interesting to others. As a coincidence it mostly happens to be about Delphi. If that somehow disqualifies me from being an MVP - so be it. I'm confident, they would lose more than me.

• Like 1

I'm a relatively new MVP and have been reading this thread without saying much (partly because I've been away from the computer and partly because I'm new and just listening). The title, at least in my case, was awarded in recognition for what I already do--support the Delphi community. I have been the coordinator for the Oregon Delphi User Group for many years and have been keeping it active. I was also blogging once in a while and was in the middle of writing a book about Delphi. There aren't many hard-and-fast requirements, just keep doing what I'm already doing but maybe a little more frequently; I'm also encouraged to help with beta testing and support forums such as this which I do as I'm able. Yes, we're supposed to be cheerleaders, and I'm happy to do--that but I don't do it blindly and I don't consider myself a paid shrill. 

I know there are problems with Delphi--I've encountered access violations, refactoring doesn't always work, I miss the Parnassus plugins, etc. There are problems in virtually every piece of software under the sun and if you visit forums for other products, even Microsoft tools, you'll find complaints and frustrations aired there as well (I've read horror stories about trying to develop cross-platform .NET apps with Xamarin; and did you ever write a major app in Visual BASIC then want to upgrade to the latest version?  Good luck!). Perhaps there are an inordinate number of major flaws with Delphi but I still seem to be productive--and positive. Maybe it's because I don't do much with high DPI yet or haven't encountered major debugger flaws or some of the other things mentioned as deal-breakers for people--I don't have good answers for them.

I do find discussing work-arounds, reporting bugs, and voting for the issues important to me, and yes, talking positively about the features of Delphi or products from Idera and Embarcadero I find really cool, to be much less stressful. I don't profess to know what goes on behind the scenes of Embarcadero but I've worked for enough companies to know corporate decisions often are the cause for features released too early, yet policy heavily restricts what can be said--and that's often very, very little.

So I agree that we need to keep discussing the issues and keep reporting/voting for issues on Quality Portal but I hope my humble perspective is helpful to someone.

Oh, and for the record, I have a paid Enterprise subscription.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Should be available form your my.embarcadero.com account.

Uwe you missed that we should not post the link (it was posted earlier in this thread).

On 3/16/2022 at 3:30 PM, Daniel said:

Folks, please try to avoid posting the direct download links.

Although these are not hard to guess, in the past there have been requests from Embarcadero not to publish the links.

No, the link to the download- portal is fine.

there was a deep-link to the ISO-file that I have removed.

I downloaded the ISO and successfully ran a problem free install of RAD Studio 11.1 from the iso.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

No, the link to the download- portal is fine.

there was a deep-link to the ISO-file that I have removed.

Ok that makes sense. I saw only the edited post without the direct link to the ISO.

On 3/17/2022 at 7:04 AM, Vincent Parrett said:

Tools -> Options -> Welcome Page - click on Clear. That works for me.

That works. What does not work, is trying to change it to another theme like Mountain Mist. It is not saved. Also tried running as admin. Does this say something about their testing methods if something so obvious is missed?

3 hours ago, Rinzwind said:

Does this say something about their testing methods if something so obvious is missed?

Obvious often lies in the eye of the beholder. I for myself work with light theme only, so I probably wouldn't have noticed that for ages.

3 hours ago, Rinzwind said:

That works. What does not work, is trying to change it to another theme like Mountain Mist. It is not saved. Also tried running as admin. Does this say something about their testing methods if something so obvious is missed?

Where are you changing theme to Mountain Mist?

Welcome page settings are meant to customize Welcome page settings for all themes, not for setting active theme. You can change active theme at User Interface -> Theme Manager page in Options.