Blavatsky

Does anyone know if Nils Haeck is OK ? SimLib and NativeXml

Hello,
I was wondering if Nils is OK after 2009 accident falling off a horse and having a stroke ?
I was also wondering if anyone has had any success running his SimLib (NativeJPG / NativeXml on Delphi 11) namely the "XmlTest" Demo project....
I did get one of the demos working "Viewer32"

When I run

I sincerely hope he is well.

Kind regards

Richard

from Down Under.

Googling his name reveals that he posted on LinkedIn 2 weeks ago. My guess is that he's simply not using Delphi anymore.

I just compiled one of my projects on D11.1 and it uses NativeXML. I used to use it a lot, then replaced with OXML, but still keep NativeXML around just for a few tasks.

Edited by Mike Torrettinni

I make heavy use of NativeXML in Project Magician. It is a small footprint, easy to use, one unit implementation and (to be honest) I am just used to it.

I use & maintain a fork of TNativeXml, with permission from nils, in the ZaphodsMap project which is open source on sourceforge, here: https://sourceforge.net/p/zaphodsmap

I have not corresponded with Nils in more than 10 years.  Good to know he is still posting on LinkedIn.

FWIW, I still prefer to use TNativeXML when I need to iterate through nodes of XML.

• Thanks 2

On 3/16/2022 at 5:13 AM, Mike Torrettinni said:

I just compiled one of my projects on D11.1 and it uses NativeXML. I used to use it a lot, then replaced with OXML, but still keep NativeXML around just for a few tasks.

Curious about your experience with OXML. It looks interesting, and corporate makes it very hard to use open source, so NativeXML is not an option.

5 minutes ago, Bill Meyer said:

... corporate makes it very hard to use open source ... 

Even those with a non-restrictive license? 

Just now, Lars Fosdal said:

Even those with a non-restrictive license? 

Yes. Submission up the chain, eval by some automated system, and eventually, a possible approval.

If there is an automated system that can eval Delphi libs, I'd like to know it! 

19 hours ago, Bill Meyer said:

Curious about your experience with OXML. It looks interesting, and corporate makes it very hard to use open source, so NativeXML is not an option.

No complaints on OXML, very fast but I don't use any special CDATA stuff or Schema related stuff, so basic read/write access. The sax event access was a little to get used to it, but I never used it before, so I have no idea if it's using standard sax events approach or it's own implementation. Works good.

And support is good, too!

I moved from NativeXML to OXML most of my projects, except 1 and not regretting it.

On 3/16/2023 at 10:57 PM, Bill Meyer said:

In short, one of the must haves.