bobD

embedded IB project sample?

Currently running IB 2020 server, using Delphi 11 Arch, via FireDac

Everything fine with  that, but want to add offline capability. Is there a simple embedded-IB sample project available anywhere. I need to know what dlls to use and include with application.

Intent is to have the application request a connection, then the connection unit

--return a server connection if on the local network, or

--if not return the local imbedded connection

Alternative might be to always open local, then handle network synch if on the network

Database is low volatility (read often, write seldom)

thanks,

bobD

Thanks for response. I also looked at and followed along with the set-up demo at 

but no joy. At the end the project could not connect. Still trying to figure out what's wrong with the installation. May try uninstalling and reinstalling PAServer next.

I have similar outcome with the FireIBLite.dproj sample. If the local IBServer is running, I get a user name and password not defined error, If I check the Lite option and stop the local server, then I get database unavailable. Very frustrating...

bobD

Database unavailable often happens because you have multiple InterBase installs and have the IB_PROTOCOL environment setting set either globally or within the IDE's local variables.  If that variable is set it must match the running server's port name.  If it doesn't you can not make local connections only loopback TCP connections.  You do not need IB_PROTOCOL set for anything it is just a quick way to identify the running instance so you can remove the environment variable without worry.  It is one of the first things I remove after installing a new RAD or new IB instance (I keep all mine on port 3050 just manually start the one I want to test against).

On 3/25/2022 at 11:08 PM, Jeff Overcash said:

Database unavailable often happens because you have multiple InterBase installs and have the IB_PROTOCOL environment setting set either globally or within the IDE's local variables.  If that variable is set it must match the running server's port name.  If it doesn't you can not make local connections only loopback TCP connections.  You do not need IB_PROTOCOL set for anything it is just a quick way to identify the running instance so you can remove the environment variable without worry.  It is one of the first things I remove after installing a new RAD or new IB instance (I keep all mine on port 3050 just manually start the one I want to test against).

Sounds like a reasonable hypothesis, because this has been my main development machine for a few years now, and has seen multiple IB versions. Also the results are the same whether I try the sample app, or connecting to a local copy of my actual intended target db. I'll try to see what I can find this week after looking at cleaning up the installation.

Thanks, bobD