Raphaël

Command-line build slower than IDE build

Hello,

I'm using Delphi 10.2 Version 25.0.29899.2631 and I'm wondering why the commande-line build with dcc64.exe is a lot slower than through the IDE?

If I build my bpl, it takes ~ 20-30 seconds with the IDE, and if I copy paste the command-line shown in the messages:

image.png.9876ee6688a5fc666536cf507debcf1c.png

it takes about 2m30s.

Why is there a such difference? What can I do to make it faster?

Thanks for your help!

That's not the whole command line; the project file is missing and it looks like an option is cut off. The command-line run by the IDE is likely several lines long as it lists all the library, include, search, resource, and output paths specified in your Delphi environment.

I'm guessing the IDE build is using an internal unit cache when it's building.

Try comparing an external build through msbuild with an IDE build where the project is configured to use msbuild (Project->Options->Building->Delphi Compiler->Use MSbuild...)

Thanks for your reply!

Sorry, I didn't copy the whole line, but I tried again this morning with the "use msbuild":

In Delphi:

image.thumb.png.c64fdaa5925142b1db0e4ce73bcafd1e.png 

And in the cmd:

image.thumb.png.6664ab375f755189e9c4472d7029939e.png

Strange that there is such a difference, isn't it?

I found out what was the difference... I installed the DDevExtensions that is using fastdcc64.dll in the IDE.

Thanks for your help.

Interesting. You might try adding the IDE Fix Pack, then: "fastdcc applies the Compiler Speed Pack that is included in IDE Fix Pack to the command line compilers dcc32, dcc64 and dccaarm (XE6 and newer)"