Sign in to follow this  
Michael Collier

Trial RAD 11 expired Delphi CE is 10.x

My trial of RAD Studio 11 expired so I thought I'd install Delphi community edition.

It seems the CE edition is version 10.4

Is Delphi 10.4 suitable for latest Operating systems Windows 11 & Android 12 & IPhone ?

That depends on the actual use case. The supported target platforms for 10.4 are listed here: Supported Target Platforms

As CE is for free it is somehow expected to having drawbacks compared to a paid version.

30 minutes ago, Roger Cigol said:

the version of CE does tend to lag behind the latest release

Indeed - and it is intended.

On 3/24/2022 at 1:06 PM, Uwe Raabe said:

Indeed - and it is intended.

Can anyone please explain why they believe the Community Edition of Delphi would be a different version number from the latest release?

From Embarcadero FAQ

https://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi/starter/faq

Paragraph 22

"The Community Edition license is always valid for the most recent version."

36 minutes ago, Michael Collier said:

Can anyone please explain why they believe the Community Edition of Delphi would be a different version number from the latest release?

From Embarcadero FAQ

https://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi/starter/faq

Paragraph 22

I believe they are talking about the most recent version of the Community Edition, not the current paid version.  The current community edition (as far as I can tell) is based on 10.4, not 11.x.   See question 9 where it clearly states that the community edition is NOT the same as a trial of the latest release.  In your quoted question the actual answer states that the community edition license is valid (ONLY) for the most recent community version not previous versions of Delphi regardless of community or not.  Also keep in mind that a benefit of being on at least a professional sku is that you get access to the latest releases, which would include 11.1 and that a community edition license is only valid for a single year, at which time you must request a new license, and that license will be valid for the "most recent version" of the Community Edition.

1 hour ago, Michael Collier said:

That should be read as: "The CE license is always valid for the most recent CE version." It means, you can't use it for a previous CE version.

I see thank you.

And in relation to the Community Edition being "Full Featured" except for the limitations specified ( £5,000 limit etc) - no mention of reduced version, any comments (my interpretation of a product being full featured may be different to others)?, thanks.

https://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi/starter

Delphi Community Edition is a full featured IDE for building iOS, Android, Windows and macOS apps from a single Delphi codebase (limited commercial use license).

And (without distinguishing version number it just says)

Delphi is available in Community, Professional, Enterprise, and Architect editions.

Note: I'm not the person who would have been purchasing this, I just need clear information to pass on, thanks..

The Community Edition in regard to features and limitations is equal to a Professional Edition. The explicit CE restrictions are the version number and the revenue limit or the limit of five developers in the company. One should note that the term revenue means the overall revenue of the company, not only the revenue the company makes with Delphi programming.

Anyway, if you are unsure in the details it might be better to ask Embarcadero directly.