ron zwwaan

debugging crash

I use the Delphi Community Edition Delphi environment. The moment I press the "trace over" or "step into" button the computer completely freezes and the only solution is to press to on/off switch and start the computer again. Anyone any idea what the problem is and how to overcome this?

Thanks very much!

Ron.

Without describing or posting any part of your project, you can't realistically expect any useful troubleshooting help.

Does this issue happens with a simple "hello World" program? Or is it observed only for one of your programs?

I tried to run a sample program, namely the program "cardpanel". When I hit "run", the program runs normally. The moment I hit "trace into" the computer freezes completely and I have to close it down by pushing the on/off button on the computer and start it again.

Thanks for trying to help!

14 minutes ago, ron zwwaan said:

I tried to run a sample program, namely the program "cardpanel".

Try with a much more simple program, a king of "Hello World" to narrow down the issue. A simple VCL form, with a single button with a click handle calling ShowMessage "Hello World". Compile for debug. Put a break point on the "begin" at the start of OnClick handler. When it, hit "trace into". And tell us what happens.

I tried to run a simple "Hello World" program, as advised.  Apparently, it's not the program, as the same think happens with this simple program. If hit "run" the program works normally; if I hit the "trace into" button the whole computer freezes and I have to restart it. Anybody a clue why?

What version of Windows are you running on? Did you see any errors as you were installing Delphi? 

Can you try "step over" instead of trace into and tell is if it can step through code that way?

Do you have the problem since the beginning or it once worked correctly?

If it has worked in the past, somehow your debugger is corrupted. If you have no backup, reinstall Delphi.

I have the problem from the beginning and 3 days ago I removed Delphi completely and reinstalled it again. The problem still exists after reinstalling.

First set a break point or hit F7 or F8 before running F9 that either key should run to cursor last position.  It may be keys are remapped to Alt - F4 somehow.

It should not be that often that the IDE freezes during the debug and then you can just kill the IDE from the task manager it's rare to have to restart the Windows (even when that occurs it's a nice forced break from the monitor).

What I've noticed yesterday that for some methods refreshing the local variables windows takes a lot of time a couple of seconds after I press F7 or F8. Unfortunately I failed to create a simple test case thus no QP from me (yet).

Do you have a chance to test the same program on another computer which has the same Delphi version?

I did have a crash when setting 64-bit debug to release on d11.1.  And some wrecks running 10.4 in same time frame when switching over.

To fix that mess I switched to 32 bit and hit compile all projects and also may have overwritten a .dproj or two by starting up with .dpr to get fresh dproj.

I plan inspect the dcus freshness next time! 32==>64 is OK but 64==>32 may not have worked well on 10.4. On 11 64 debug ==> 64 release the custom components in Palette were dimmed when unable to load.