Edwin Yip

ZipMaster 1.9x with my minor fixes

Well, I didn't exactly make this, but DelphiZip should be the most feature-rich open source zip component for Delphi, and since 2019 due to a health issue Russell Peters the previous maintainer has stop the maintenance.

I fixed several minor issues for the library, but there is no place to submit my changes now (even delphizip.org is down), so I created a github repository and welcome anyone to contribute:

https://github.com/edwinyzh/ZipMaster

It's unclear to me from the readme and help whether ZipMaster is a linkable Delphi component or a DLL with a Delphi interface. 

The documentation seem to assume you are familiar with the component and not migrating from something like VCLZip.   

Angus

20 minutes ago, Angus Robertson said:

It's unclear to me from the readme and help whether ZipMaster is a linkable Delphi component or a DLL with a Delphi interface. 

The documentation seem to assume you are familiar with the component and not migrating from something like VCLZip.   

Angus

- TZipMaster has a full set of features for writing/reading zip archives, most of the logics are implemented in Delphi, but it relies on a 300+KB DLL for the underlying operations.
- TZipMaster supports both 64bit and 32bit Delphi compilers.
- TZipMaster supports Zip64 (for zip files larger than 4GB).

I edited the readme.md file

Completely offtopic.

On 3/29/2022 at 1:01 PM, Angus Robertson said:

[...] and not migrating from something like VCLZip.

I'm using an upped version of Delphi's TZipFile and always had enough of it's limitations so I went on and searched for VCLZip. Never seen a project this old before 😮

image.png.f0b93105e8ec00b0a97bf2881f422943.png

• Haha 1

VLCZip was commercial software sold with Delphi source, last release was about 15 years ago, but I still use it in my applications.  It never became open source.  So really need to replace it, but adding a DLL to my projects is a non-starter. 

ZipMaster should ideally build the C code into a DCU so that it can be linked directly, but this would be needed for all compilers. I still use Delphi 2007 for some of my historic projects, too much work to update them. 

Or built to OBJ files like ZLIB that can just be inserted into a PAS unit?

Angus

Edited by Angus Robertson

19 hours ago, aehimself said:

I'm using an upped version of Delphi's TZipFile and always had enough of it's limitations

I have only used it briefly here and there. What are the limitations you've run into?

1 hour ago, corneliusdavid said:

I have only used it briefly here and there. What are the limitations you've run into?

- Inability to remove a file from the archive

- Does not support ZIP64 and LZMA (which can be solved by Zip2)

- Inability to read data from "corrupted" archives, like 7-zip can

- If the ZIP file was created by C# (don't know which lib) TZipFile sometimes says that the archive is not corrupt, but there are no files in it. With 7-Zip I can see and extract the file without issues

6 hours ago, aehimself said:

- Inability to remove a file from the archive

- Does not support ZIP64 and LZMA (which can be solved by Zip2)

- Inability to read data from "corrupted" archives, like 7-zip can

- If the ZIP file was created by C# (don't know which lib) TZipFile sometimes says that the archive is not corrupt, but there are no files in it. With 7-Zip I can see and extract the file without issues

You reported these on EMB's Jira?

18 minutes ago, Tom F said:

You reported these on EMB's Jira?

No, as

1, TZipFile is clearly abandoned (ZIP64 was introduced over 20 years ago)

2, There is a workaround for most of these

3, I could not wait until Delphi 25 Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch when it will be officially fixed 🙂

Anyway. let's not hijack the topic.

• Like 1

There are some other zip implementations in my awesome list. I'm happy with FWZip, however I only needed very basic actions

• Like 1