Lachlan Gemmell

EULA declined installing 11.1 with Network Named license

During install of Alexandria 11.1 onto a clean VM, (no prior Delphi version) with a Network Named license I am getting the message "Operation error - EULA declined" after selecting the platforms and optional components to install.

I have updated the slip files by going through the ELC host license procedure and I can import those slip files during the installation without a problem.

Of course I also make sure to tick the checkbox to agree to the license agreement during the install.

EulaDeclined.png

Unfortunately it's starting to look like Alexandria 11.1 cannot be installed on Windows 7.

Win7 hasn't been a supported platform for quite a few years now but I haven't had any problems using any Delphi version with it up until today.

I just tried a minimal install of 11.1 onto Win7, with just the Win32 platform and no optional components.  That gives a different error message "Cannot load data from the server: Error sending Data: (12175) A security error occurred"

Installing into a Win10 VM worked just fine.

Farewell Windows 7, you've been my trusted companion for a long time now. It's not going to be the same without you.

InterbaseRedistRefused.png

Thanks to a colleague who is successfully using 11.1 with Win7 we think we know what the issue is.

I'm using the web installer while my colleague is using the ISO installer. I get the issue when the web installer first goes to download its files, while for him of course they're already there on the ISO.

Based on the error code from above (12175) we're theorising that the 11.1 web installer requires TLS 1.3. There is Windows 7 support for TLS 1.2, but not TLS 1.3.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Lachlan Gemmell said:

Thanks to a colleague who is successfully using 11.1 with Win7 we think we know what the issue is.

I'm using the web installer while my colleague is using the ISO installer. I get the issue when the web installer first goes to download its files, while for him of course they're already there on the ISO.

Based on the error code from above (12175) we're theorising that the 11.1 web installer requires TLS 1.3. There is Windows 7 support for TLS 1.2, but not TLS 1.3.

Can confirm 100%.  The ISO installer works and the web installer doesn't on Windows 7. In my case it indeed complained about a https connection failing. 

Don't forget to enable GetIt afer using the ISO installer ("getitcmd.exe -c=useonline").

13 minutes ago, A.M. Hoornweg said:

Don't forget to enable GetIt afer using the ISO installer ("getitcmd.exe -c=useonline").

It's not required for D11 (at least for me it was smart enough to set gitit to the online mode after installing from the ISO).

Why would you continue to use Windows 7, which has absolutely no support since more than two years? I understand that you may not be interested in the newest features, etc. But security updates in those days is something I would not want to miss out on...

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, sakura said:

But security updates in those days is something I would not want to miss out on...

Are there any particular security update, unavailable for Windows 7, that you can't do without?

47 minutes ago, sakura said:

Why would you continue to use Windows 7, which has absolutely no support since more than two years? I understand that you may not be interested in the newest features, etc. But security updates in those days is something I would not want to miss out on...

I develop under Windows 10, but I have a build machine that's still running Windows 7.  It will be migrated to Windows 10 in the near future.

44 minutes ago, sakura said:

It makes for a much more lightweight VM than one based on Windows 10. If you have a multitude of VMs that makes a difference both in terms of memory and disk consumption (particularly since we took a backwards step in capacity terms with SSDs).

I use them purely for writing code in, I don't go browsing random websites with an outdated Win7.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Anders Melander said:

Are there any particular security update, unavailable for Windows 7, that you can't do without?

Any and all fixing security holes. I do not follow them in detail, 😉 but remembering some news about some big ones within the last year.

1 minute ago, sakura said:

Any and all fixing security holes. I do not follow them in detail, 😉 but remembering some news about some big ones within the last year.

Okay then. I thought that maybe you were just voicing an uninformed opinion. My bad.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Anders Melander said:

Apart from the obvious TLS 1.3?

16 hours ago, Sherlock said:

Apart from the obvious TLS 1.3?

Unless OpenSSL abandons W7, missing OS support of TLS1.3 is quite insignificant IMHO. Probably only actual for C# apps that use TLS layer provided by OS.

P.S. I still use W7 as my main dev machine. I really dislike some dumb limitations of new flat UI (nonconfigurable 1-pixel-wide window borders on hi-res display and a touchpad?! Come on MS are you kidding?)

Edited by Fr0sT.Brutal
  • Like 1

So I went with the Alexandria 11.1 ISO and installed it in my Win7 VMs. That went fine but I’m regretting the decision.

It turns out though that GetIt in 11.1 (and now also 11.0) uses TLS1.3 and while you can view the contents of GetIt, you get the 12175 error or something similar if you try and install anything via GetIt including IDE patches

I’ll get by with hacks and workarounds for now but for me regrettably it is time to retire Win7 and move to Win10 based virtual machines.

On 3/31/2022 at 1:52 AM, Lachlan Gemmell said:

It makes for a much more lightweight VM than one based on Windows 10. If you have a multitude of VMs that makes a difference both in terms of memory and disk consumption

Same reasons all of my VMs were XP, until I was forced to start making Win7 VMs.

On 3/31/2022 at 1:52 AM, Lachlan Gemmell said:

I use them purely for writing code in, I don't go browsing random websites with an outdated Win7.

Same

• Like 1