David Hoyle

GExperts Grep is always case sensitive when regular expressions are enabled

For some time I found that Grep, when regular expressions are enabled, is always case sensitive, regardless of the case-sensitive setting in the search dialogue.

I was going to try and trace the issue but I cannot build GExperts (see other posts).

Looking at the code it should support non-case-sensitivity searches.

2 hours ago, David Hoyle said:

Looking at the code it should support non-case-sensitivity searches.

It should, and it does, at least in my test in Delphi 2007: Seaching for "Then", whole word, not case sensitive as a regular expression, found several instances of "then":

Grep-case-sensitive.thumb.png.bdb3c0c1dda97e8c08c1575ba7320d25.png

Have you got an example where it doesn't work? And in which Delphi version does it fail? 10.4 ? 11.1 ?

In 10.4.2 unfortunately it does not.

For instance, searching for "ixt\w*" should find "IXTRelationshipFloat" however all it finds in my project group is "ixture" as part of "TestFixture". To find the interface I need to capitalise "IXT\w*".

OK, I can reproduce that one with Delphi 10.4 but not with Delphi 2007. This might therefore be some kind of Unicode issue, even though I can't figure out how.

btw: It also happens with a much simpler regex: "ix" is enough.

If you can fix it, I'll gladly accept a patch of course. If you can't, please create a bug report and include these screenshots.

It's a problem with the SynEdit components suite. I've done some tests with the version of code you have in GExperts and the problem seems within the SynRegExpr unit. I've also opened up an old editor that uses SynEdit\SynEdit from GitHub which has the extract same SynRegExpr file and regex searches are case-sensitive. The TurboPack\SynEdit code works as expected (searches without case sensitivity) but that codebase no longer uses SynRegExpr.pas (guessing but I expect it uses the RTL code for regexs).

4 hours ago, David Hoyle said:

guessing but I expect it uses the RTL code for regex

indeed.

The current RegExpr unit on GitHub fixes that problem, but unfortunately it no longer compiles with pre UNICODE Delphis because somebody added a {$define Unicode} to it two years ago.

Wow, that's great support from Alex-T over on GitHub. He is currently helping me to fix those pesky compile problems, so I will be able to update SynRegExp with the original RegExpr unit.

• Thanks 1

In case anybody wants to test it: This problem should be fixed in revision #3843

@dummzeuch I can confirm that this issue is resolved with the latest source and I can now perform case-insensitive searches with regular expressions.

• Thanks 1

I am experiencing the same thing.  I currently have Version 1.3.21 build 3833 experimental installed.

Where can i download revision #3843?

Edited by MJBComp

Got it installed and solved the case-sensitivity search issue. Thank you.

Edited by MJBComp