Ian Branch

Survey of Delphi Versions in use??

Hi @Daniel,

Is it possible in this forum to set up a survey of some sort to asses what version(s) of Delphi Forum participants are still using these days?

Obviously respondents would need to be able to tick multiple versions.

I think it be interesting to see what is still in use 'out there' and rough percentages.

Just a thought.

Regards,

Ian

• Like 2

When you create a new topic you see the Content tab, but there is a second tab named Poll. That should give you all the tools you need.

Ian,

On the multiple versions, it might help to collect daily usage vs occasional.

One situation would be  I use  delphi 11  95% of the day on active projects.

Another is I occasionally support old apps on 10.4, 10.3, 10.2

I would almost suggest to force them to specify 1 daily version.

There is no specific area for polls like this.

"Offtopic" might be an option.

The forum software only allows for a certain number of options in a survey, so you will have to use some tricks if you really want to cover all possible Delphi versions.

Edited by dummzeuch

56 minutes ago, Fr0sT.Brutal said:

What's the sense in such surveys gathered from 20-30 guys?

Well, we are the most important...

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

It may make sense to use an external survey service and post a link to it on prominent Delphi sites.
That will enable better version coverage in the survey.

3 hours ago, Roger Cigol said:

something like this 

https://doodle.com/poll/d9hd42sisyemqbyu

It would be a good platform for this if there was an automatic ability to remove duplicates.  You can accidentally enter yourself more than 1 time.

image.thumb.png.118df6e6f64916df7f43f10ac9a8592d.png

image.png

Edited by PaPaNi

But I also remind everyone about the valid points raised in this discussion a while back....

4 hours ago, PaPaNi said:

It would be a good platform for this if there was an automatic ability to remove duplicates.  You can accidentally enter yourself more than 1 time.

image.thumb.png.118df6e6f64916df7f43f10ac9a8592d.png

image.png

Good point, I had forgotten that I already my data. I have deleted the duplicate now.

When polling you need a methodology. If you poll the entire population, it's easy. But if you poll just a sample, then you need to choose the sample carefully so that it is representative, and you need to follow up non respondents. There is a lot of science in polling to get meaningful data. 

A self selecting poll on a site like this will not tell you very much if anything about the overall population. 

But perhaps you just want to know what active members of this site use. And even if that's what you want, it will be hard to impossible to get accurate data

Edited by David Heffernan
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, David Heffernan said:

But perhaps you just want to know what active members of this site use. And even if that's what you want, it will be hard to impossible to get accurate data

Active members with an understanding of the relative value of polling data may simply disdain such polls, and not take the time. I can't recall a time when I participated in such a poll.

• Like 1

With some hesitation, as this creates its own set of challenges, I will open this for discussion. ( I doubt I am the first to suggest / think this )

Since we are developers here, we could write an expert that logs the data. Putting aside the privacy concern, though it is valid and will have to be addressed,

What data would need to be collected? What analysis would be usefull after collecting the data?

On 4/27/2022 at 5:46 PM, Ian Branch said:

Obviously respondents would need to be able to tick multiple versions.

If you decide to go ahead with the survey, try to give us more options, for example I use D2006 every few years for a few weeks. So, when I use it, I use it 75%-100% of the time, the rest is split between D10.2 and now D11. D11 is the only one that I compile for 64bit, and Linux.

Perhaps you can frame the purpose of the survey, like if you are you planning to develop something and sell to Delphi developers, in that case I would select D11 as the only version I would be interested in any new component/tool to use with.

Edited by Mike Torrettinni

3 hours ago, SwiftExpat said:

What analysis would be useful after collecting the data?

This question is the one that drives statisticians around the world completely mad. You need to decide on your goals before deciding what data to collect.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 1:58 AM, David Heffernan said:

This question is the one that drives statisticians around the world completely mad. You need to decide on your goals before deciding what data to collect.

They usually solve it like:

1) Collect as much as possible

2) Extract pieces that are needed for analysis

3) Sell other to 3rd parties

4) Double profit!

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Fr0sT.Brutal said:

They usually solve it like:

1) Collect as much as possible

2) Extract pieces that are needed for analysis

3) Sell other to 3rd parties

4) Double profit!

No they don't. I'm talking about actual statisticians as in a branch of mathematics.