Maxxed

# in URLs results in HTTP 400 or 404

Delphi 2007, ICS 8.68, libssl-3. Adding "#" character to any URL results in HTTP error 400 or 404 response from server. I can reproduce it in the test applications easily - works every time 😞 For example, this URL works perfectly fine:

https://en.delphipraxis.net/

But adding "#" to the URL:

https://en.delphipraxis.net/#

results in HTTP 400 error in ICS but works perfectly in any browser. Is there any way around this problem, because I need to send both GET and POST requests with # symbol in URLs?

# is an anchor, an instruction to the browser on how to display the page, it is never sent to the server as part of the URL by a browser.  Your application should create a valid URL by removing the #.  ICS does not validate the URL for illegal content. 

Angus

• Like 2

It used to work in Indy, so I thought it'll work in ICS too. Indy must have been removing the # part of the URLs silently. Thank you for your help, Angus.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Maxxed said:

Indy must have been removing the # part of the URLs silently

Yes, it does.

By the way, Remy, any chance to get TLS 1.3 support in Indy? This is the only reason I'm trying to migrate to ICS.

2 hours ago, Maxxed said:

any chance to get TLS 1.3 support in Indy? This is the only reason I'm trying to migrate to ICS.

Please avoid asking any question not directly related to ICS in this ICS dedicated forum. Indy has his own support channels.

• Like 1

This is now fixed, should be in SVN tomorrow with a lot of other HTTP improvements. 

There is a new option to skip removing the # fragment anchor where users are deliberately using # as a parameter without escaping it.  But this is likely to be so rare the option has to be set to leave it, so technically not backward compatible which is our development philosophy.

Angus

• Thanks 1

Wow! That's cool! Thank you very much! Looking forward to try the new version!