Bill Meyer

RBuilder issue with pipeline

I am building reports again with ReportBuilder after a few years away from it. At present, my report produces only one row, though there are 384 records in the dataset. I recall encountering this problem some years ago, but do not recall how I got past it. If anyone here can enlighten me, I would appreciate it.

15 hours ago, Ian Branch said:

Is that 'row' in the ^ Detail row of the report??

image.png.68f48bf4c80a920e9d11c315b55f6f73.png

It is, and the data in that row is from the first record of the dataset.

Logging in pipeline events shows that the pipeline is active, and dataset is active and contains 384 records, and even shows that pipeline.Next fires. Once.

Hi Bill,

As a confirmation of the 384, put a DBCalc counter in the Summary that counts the number of records in the Detail.

Care to share an image of the design  layout?

Just now, Ian Branch said:

Ahhh.  OK.  I don't think I have ever set it to true..

Well done.

Does it work?

I opened my mouth before engaging brain...

That is for Bill to test/confirm.

7 hours ago, emileverh said:

Set  .AutoStop of the ppReport to FALSE

It is and has been. 

On 5/21/2022 at 10:55 AM, Ian Branch said:

Hi Bill,

As a confirmation of the 384, put a DBCalc counter in the Summary that counts the number of records in the Detail.

Care to share an image of the design  layout?

The layout is relatively simple.

image.thumb.png.d21a4fd7cfbfe716ba79c5b8214491db.png

All objects in the Detail band are created in the BeforePrint. 

On 5/21/2022 at 10:55 AM, Ian Branch said:

Did that, and it reports 1. However, a logging action in plMain shows 384. Still, this is at least a clue, I suppose, except I don't understand what it suggests.

My log results:

image.png.7074308cede54c5e4ba8380fd19fbfa1.png

Edited by Bill Meyer

HI Bill,

It suggests that the Detail data isn't being traversed and is reporting just the first record.

If the record you are seeing is in fact the first record, then..

a.  Check your filter/query.

b.  Check the Traversal parameter for the Detail row.

Ian

10 minutes ago, Ian Branch said:

HI Bill,

It suggests that the Detail data isn't being traversed and is reporting just the first record.

If the record you are seeing is in fact the first record, then..

a.  Check your filter/query.

b.  Check the Traversal parameter for the Detail row.

Ian

No filter is in use. Not sure what you are suggesting in b....  If you mean the ColumnTraversal property, it is set as ctTopToBottom, but ctLeftToRight makes no difference.

Edited by Bill Meyer

1 minute ago, Ian Branch said:

It is possibly this parameter..

image.thumb.png.a9a0d64753c7805f56592a41be42bb6d.png

Does not seem to be. Changing it produces the same result.

4 minutes ago, Ian Branch said:

OK.  Difficult to debug like this.  Can you send me the .tmp file?

I have no .tmp file. Is that from a property I need to set?

No.  Umm.  Are you creating the report totally in code or using a version of the Users App?

No.  Umm.  Are you creating the report totally in code or using a version of the Users App?

Totally in code. We routinely need to construct dynamically, and that is the case in this one.

Ummm.  OK.  Then I am out of my depth. I have never created a ret programmatically.

I would suggest getting on the RB Forum and asking there.

Ummm.  OK.  Then I am out of my depth. I have never created a ret programmatically.

I would suggest getting on the RB Forum and asking there.

Thanks, I appreciate your efforts. I can't use the forums at the moment, as the license is not active, and the renewal is working its way through corporate.

The creation of objects is not a big deal, the main thing is that I have a couple of columns which are always present, and then some number of groups of four columns each, and I have to allow for printer orientation affecting how many can fit, and for putting the excess onto another page (horizontal spanning.) I also handle all the column width management in code. We have only a handful of static report designs in the system.

35 minutes ago, Bill Meyer said:

Thanks, I appreciate your efforts. I can't use the forums at the moment, as the license is not active, and the renewal is working its way through corporate.

The creation of objects is not a big deal, the main thing is that I have a couple of columns which are always present, and then some number of groups of four columns each, and I have to allow for printer orientation affecting how many can fit, and for putting the excess onto another page (horizontal spanning.) I also handle all the column width management in code. We have only a handful of static report designs in the system.

Update: I finally found the right search term, and found a small article in the rbWiki which afforded me the necessary clue. I am now getting 11 pages and all 384 records. 

I needed to remove the pipeline from the report, and connect it to the group header instead.