Tom F

Performance monitor for FMX macOS?

Does anyone know of a performance monitor for FMX macOS?

I'm not sure what exactly you are looking for, especially for FMX.

A Macos "performance monitor", like a rudimentary "Windows Task-Manager", is called ACtivity Monitor under Macos.

This has nothing special for FMX of course.

Good point, Rollo62.

Yeah, the macOS Activity Monitor I've used. It shows that my app is using 40% of a modern machine's CPU.

I'm trying to find where in the code the time is being spent. A code profiler.

So, I'm looking for a way to monitor at the Delphi procedure level. In Windows, I use Nexus Quality Suite in Windows. (I abandoned AQTime long ago as inferior and poorly suppported)

Profiling is a bit tricky, I think there is no real integrated version for FMX yet.

But you could try to use the Macos XCode Instrument tools, they show a lot of details for any running apps, but I havent used them any more in the last few years.

I think it should be more powerful and useful even.

https://gist.github.com/loderunner/36724cc9ee8db66db305

Edited by Rollo62

Hi, Rollo,

Thanks for the suggestion that I use the xcode profiler.  The beauty of FMX is that I don't have to know anything about xcode to write great programs on macOS.

And, I love FMX and the fact that I can use the same code on Windows and macOS.  

But the lack of a turn-key profiler for FMX on the Mac is an example of how FMX can be a real pain in the ass on Macs. 

Do you recall what kind of results you got when you used the xcode profiler?  Did you get source level timings and counts?  Is xcode FMX friendly?

I hate the fact that it seems that I have to become a system-level programmer to get any timings for my FMX app.

Moving away from the profile issue and talking specifically about the CPU usage of FMX on macOS, the same can be related to the use or not of metal. I advise using GlobalUseMetal := True; to take some of the CPU load off.

As said, its not FMX related, but gives you a lot of info about memory usage, performance, power consumprtion, hardware, network status etc.

It has several tools that can be configured in a custom way.

Instruments is a kind of separate tool in XCode, so not much problems to use it, it can connect to running or start new processes.

Edited by Rollo62

Thank you, Rollo62.  Perhaps some day that information will be helpful to me.

Right now I need to a source code level performance monitor for an FMX app running on macOS.

Tom