softtouch

macOS where to save downloaded executable?

My application needs to download additional executable files (call it addons). They need to be executed after installation from the main app. Where would I need to save them after downloading them in order to be able to execute them? Is there any recommended folder? Can I save them im my user folder and execute them there?

You should be able to download and execute them wherever you can write to files--a data directory under a user folder is just fine. Executable files are not restricted to running only from special "Program Files" type of folder.

The only caveat is that an anti-virus program may catch it and block saving/launching it if it's not signed and/or well-known.

• Like 1

And the OS may interject as well, asking the user to verify that it may execute this downloaded file.

4 minutes ago, Sherlock said:

And the OS may interject as well, asking the user to verify that it may execute this downloaded file.

That would be ok, I was just worried that i cant just save them where I like to. I will then just save them into a folder inside the user folder and execute them there.

I think you should refer to OS guidelines. Things are never simple when you deal with anything Apple made

On 6/3/2022 at 10:57 AM, softtouch said:

I will then just save them into a folder inside the user folder and execute them there.

In macOS there is a folder:

Users/(User Name)/Library/Application Support/(App Name)/

It seems to be a recognised spot for storing config, preferences, cache data, sqlite files.  I don't know whether that's a good place for an addon executable, but might be worth a look if you don't want your folder to be too obviously user visible.

There's a stack overflow post looking at this from a user config point of view:

Where do OSX applications typically store user configuration data?

Edited by Incus J