PeterPanettone

IDE start randomly stops with error message

RANDOMLY (and sometimes repeatedly), the Delphi 11 Alexandria IDE starts with this error message (of course, the IDE start is delayed until I click the OK button on the error message):

image.png.0cba79690be690b3767d8b994e42c628.png

Obviously, one of the packages loaded during the IDE start randomly produces this error. Unfortunately, the error message does not tell me which package causes the error.

As this error occurs RANDOMLY, it is not possible finding the culprit by switching off single packages.

Has anyone encountered this type of error?

I. Unfortunately, this is not a rare phenomenon. I have to restart the IDE because the error keeps recurring.

1 minute ago, Stano said:

I. Unfortunately, this is not a rare phenomenon. I have to restart the IDE because the error keeps recurring.

Do you have a suspect which package could cause the error?

I'm an amateur. My attempt to find out some information ended quickly because I couldn't get anywhere by stepping.

I suspect a bug in the IDE itself. So I am not sure whether madExcept could help here. If the IDE were open-source, it would be easy to catch the bug.

Edited by PeterPanettone

I use EurekaLog. It won't catch anything. At least that's how I remember it:classic_smile:

1 hour ago, PeterPanettone said:

I suspect a bug in the IDE itself. So I am not sure whether madExcept could help here. If the IDE were open-source, it would be easy to catch the bug.

Unlikely, it would be reported much more frequently in this case. I have never seen it, for example, but in my case the only 3rd party package used is MMX...

If it occurs often enough, you might be lucky to catch it by running the IDE itself in the debugger and looking at the call stack. But beware: There are also quite a few exceptions during startup that are normal.

Only now have I realized that I use EurekaLog in the application:classic_blush: Therefore, he cannot capture anything.
Can EurekaLog be set up to catch exceptions in the IDE?

Modern IDE already have exception tracing build in. Typically you should see a crash dialog from IDE asking you to submit a bug report. The fact that you don't see such dialog suggest that this is not an unhandled exception. E.g. the message comes from a code similar to this:

try
except
  on E: Exception do
    ShowMessage(E.Message);
end;

You can use EurekaLog to troubleshoot this. Go to EurekaLog's IDE options ( https://www.eurekalog.com/help/eurekalog/ide_options.php ) and check the "Catch all IDE exceptions" option (disabled by default). Next, run you IDE with the --el_debug command line switch ( https://www.eurekalog.com/help/eurekalog/fix_runtime_issues.php ). Let it crash and close it immediately.

If there would be an EurekaLog exception dialog - that's nice, you can use it. If not - look for a .csl file in %APPDATA% folder (Start / EurekaLog / Bug reports folder) or in \bin folder of your IDE (if it is writable). Open file with a free CodeSite Viewer tool. Scroll down until you see an exception.

Well thank you. I didn't find it through the basic settings.
I didn't run anything from the command line. I'll wait, I'll see.

5 hours ago, Stano said:

Do you use GExperts or CNWizards?

CnPack, MMX, Bookmarks and Project Magician

1 minute ago, Stano said:

CnPack, MMX, Bookmarks and Project Magician

I use GExperts, CnPack, MMX, Parnassus Bookmarks, and Project Magician.