Martin Sedgewick

10.3.1 has been released

I really don't get the whole theming bull anyway. I set my windows to look exactly the way I want it, and along comes some wannabe designer and imposes his take on what a GUI should look like. Most of the time it's just hilarious, but when I have to work with a tool (yes a tool) I want it to be as unobtrusive as possible and just do it's thing. If i want glitter on a hammer I will buy glitter and stick it on there myself. Don't expect everyone to like glitter an a hammer. Jeeeez!

</Rant>

• Like 6

You can still drop themeloader, themeXY, and of course moderntheme bpl too.

Yes, it was also themed long before the "themes" (modernthemeXXX.bpl).

But then you will face, how poor the new forms (like options) and some other parts are implemented. Un-/Wrong Aligned controls etc...

And the "Standard" toolbar has a dark background, if I nuke modernthemeXXX.bpl and looking at the bare, winapi rendered IDE.

And these things never will be fixed.

But hey, on the other side, JAVA apps do not fall so slowly anymore.

image.png.00c609131e0223abdc8ae39a6e2658a2.png

Edited by Attila Kovacs
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sherlock said:

I really don't get the whole theming bull anyway. I set my windows to look exactly the way I want it, and along comes some wannabe designer and imposes his take on what a GUI should look like. Most of the time it's just hilarious, but whe I have to work with a tool (yes a tool) I want it to be as unobtrusive as possible and just do it's thing. If i want glitter on a hammer I will buy glitter an stick it on there myself. Don't expect everyone to like glitter an a hammer. Jeeeez!

</Rant>

To some extent theming has a purpose because without it you could not have dark theme. Problem here is that Delphi (VCL Styles) based theming is just horrible since day one (even before it was introduced in IDE). 

Instead of VCL Styles being fixed and then used at large, EMBT choose to use VCL Styles without fixing issues. Another problem is not that just in theming itself, but revamping Options dialog layouts without making proper alignment/size adjustments - so everything visually just falls apart.

• Like 6

Unfortunately, I do not see any way to stop this endless IDE revamping trend (save bribing someone from the Embarcadero management :classic_biggrin: ). I wish I could use the 10.3 compilers with the plain old XE IDE... And now "the dogs (we, the users) bark, but the caravan goes on". BTW, the DevExpress Skins library has been around longer than VCL styles but I don't remember many problems with using it or switching skins on or off, unlike the Delphi IDE which seems to be heavily rewritten to adopt theming and introducing endless bugs in the process.

2 hours ago, dummzeuch said:

And GExperts doesn't even support theming itself, I don't want to consider the time it would take to actually support it (and I am definitely not going to spend that time).

Don't know about GExperts, but theme support is by far the most often requested feature for MMX Code Explorer.

I for myself am not a fan of the dark theme and I even could do without themes at all. On the other hand there are obviously a decent number of developers eagerly waiting for it.

• Like 2

The bad thing about the IDE theming is that it's not even using the default VCL theming but a different one hacked into the IDE code because they did not find a better way than that to avoid the form designer being themed.

That and doing obvious bad custom drawing such as the search bar in the title bar which keeps jumping around when you move the window.

1 minute ago, Uwe Raabe said:

I for myself am not a fan of the dark theme and I even could do without themes at all.

Also not a fan of the dark theme in RAD Studio - in Visual Studio and Visual Studio Code I use it all the time - simply because its the default and it works just nice - the default colors in the code editor fit nicely and the entire IDE is still very reactive. And even though there are also places where some UI controls are not themed in dark (like the project properties) it still works well together without cut off controls and useless scroll bars because some control is 2 pixels to wide.

Edited by Stefan Glienke
  • Like 1

What is the status of the HighDPI support now?

Is it solid enough to be used in production?

I wish they would dog food this by using it in the IDE. 

On 3/7/2019 at 10:39 AM, Lars Fosdal said:

It really annoys me that they didn't adapt Error Insight for inline declared variables. So ugly!

I can live with Error Insight garbage but when I tried inline variables in a 300k LOC project I removed them immediately because Ctrl-Click stopped working.

8 hours ago, Lars Fosdal said:

The new IDE skinning is a disaster.
So! freaking! slow!

Altready installed IDEFixPack?

2 minutes ago, Silver Black said:

Altready installed IDEFixPack?

Is there a FixPack for 10.3.1 ?

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, Lars Fosdal said:

Is there a FixPack for 10.3.1 ?

Have you been hiding in a cave? 😄

31 minutes ago, Sherlock said:

Have you been hiding in a cave? 😄

Virtually, yes. Seriously busy days atm.

Themed IDE = Lipstick on pig. 

I just deadlocked the IDE while trying to abort a compile/run - F9 then Escape -> Not responding.

Theme XYZ...

There is this IDE theme with the dark/blue etc. themes.

Then there is this modernthemeXXX.bpl.

And there are windows themes since 7 (I think).

Am I right?

Now,I killed the first two, then I came across this:

http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Rio/en/Disabling_Themes_in_the_IDE_and_in_Your_Application

However, I can't see any difference if I remove the lines from this merge manifest.

I'm also not sure how should this work. Why would windows look for this file? Btw. it's on W10, the article says 7/8. Does it apply for W10 too?

Btw btw, it's still "CodeGear RAD Studio" in the manifest. Why? Would one need a new signature if it changes? Money?

Edit:

Ok, looks like from W10 things are changed, there is no more "classic" (stone age) theme anymore.

I could also fix the dark "Standard" toolbar by resetting it to its defaults.

It was just a bit strange that the latest IDE without any theming also differs a _LOT_ from Berlin.

Edited by Attila Kovacs

Have you noticed that toolbars are messed up when switching from designing/debugging?! Very annoying.

Just now, Silver Black said:

Have you noticed that toolbars are messed up when switching from designing/debugging?! Very annoying.

Have you filed a QP report?

6 hours ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Have you filed a QP report?

Unfortunately it doesn't happen always, it's erratic.

Is it just me?

2 hours ago, Silver Black said:

Unfortunately it doesn't happen always, it's erratic.

Is it just me?

No. I have also noted that in 10.3 toolbars sometimes start jumping from line to line even without layout switching, just by moving mouse somethere. But this is not reproducable. As I don't use 10.3 as a primary IDE, I can only say that 10.1 does not suffer from this problem (and other bugs introduced in later releases).

• Like 1

On 3/14/2019 at 5:02 PM, Silver Black said:

Yeap. It's happening also here.

Hi and sorry if this question was already asked.

Can Delphi 10.2 be installed on the same computer with 10.3.1?

Thanks

29 minutes ago, Amos said:

Can Delphi 10.2 be installed on the same computer with 10.3.1?

Yes - all major versions can coexist

On 3/12/2019 at 9:10 AM, Lars Fosdal said:

Themed IDE = Lipstick on pig.

Probably so :classic_biggrin:

But have you considered that a dark theme is probably better to keep your eyesight intact ?

3 minutes ago, Rollo62 said:

But have you considered that a dark theme is probably better to keep your eyesight intact ?

Different people have different issues. 

For me and my eyesight not using any dark theme is imperative. After only few minutes of looking at dark themed IDE or web site I experience colored visual artifacts similar to those when you look at bright light. After 10-15 minutes I can  no longer read anything dark theme or light theme and I need hour or two to recover.

@Dalija Prasnikar

I also prefer and love the bright theme, and still use it now.

But in the long run, over many years staring into bright LEDs (probably with bluelight hazard) , this can turn into eye damage when you're getting older.
Also bright theme can affect the sleep behaviour, when not enabling the nightshift functions in modern OS.
This is not openly discussed out there from the IT world, but I'm very sure that this can and will be an issue for many developers, staring into screens day in day out.
When you looking into the safety requirements for Laser and LED regarding photobiological safety, you will find that there are already a lot of hazard and safety
considerations in place-.

Anyway, I think its also possible to change habits:

When computes started in the dark ages, we loved to stare into green screens,

then with the Turbo-products we loved the blue screen theme (which is now known as an AV),
now we're on the bright theme, and the dark theme is already the trend (we probably missed still :classic_smile:).