Alexander Halser

MacOS: Library not loaded: ?^???

The heading is not a typo.
I've taken over Mac development from a colleague who recently left, so Delphi/Mac is pretty new to me. I'm running Delphi 10.4 Seattle with all patches and have a new Macbook running Monterey with Xcode 12.5.1. My basic "hello world" test app compiles and deploys successfully. But it doesn't start on the Mac. When started manually, it flickers for a moment, then terminates.

PAServer reveals the underlying problem:

dyld[xxxx]: Library not loaded: ?^???
Referenced from: /Users/alexander/PAServer/scratch-dir/Alexander-MacProfile/MacTest.app/Contents/MacOS/MacTest
Reason: tried: '?^???' (no such file)

The app obviously has a reference to "?^???" which is not found.

But where does this come from?

My current configuration:

Delphi 10.4 with all patches
MacOS Monterey with Xcode 12.5.1 (after realizing that Xcode 13 is not compatible I managed to install and run 12.5.1)
Delphi SDK Manager: MacOSX 11.3

The app compiles and deploys successfully, both in Release and Debug mode. It just doesn't run.

I'm pretty much stuck here...  Google delivers plenty of results for "library not loaded" but none of them deals with a string called "?^???".

PS:

When changing the encoding of the (very simply) main unit from ANSI to UTF8, this slightly affects the error message.

The UTF8 variant looks for a library called "?^;?[" instead of "?^???". Any hints where to look for this?

Edited by Alexander Halser

Thread closed.

My problem is almost identical with the one described here: iOS 15.1 - FMX - Delphi-PRAXiS [en] (delphipraxis.net)

The switch from Delphi 10.4 to 11 helped to make some tiny progress and get the remote debugging to work.

And the remote debugger tells me a bit more than question marks, it says:

dyld[7422]: Library not loaded: \x90\x81\x17\x06-\xb4 Process MacTest (7422)

Hi Alexander, I see that this thread has been closed, however I'm struggling to solve quite a similar problem without much success. I wonder if you can give me some good hint to go on...

My configuration is:

Delphi Community Edition 10.4 Update 2

MacOS Ventura 13.3.1 running on a Mac Mini M1

PaServer21 Version 12.2.10.3, as installed by my Delphi CE version

It seems to me that something quite similar is happening:

>dyld[2744]: Library not loaded: `?.9Z?
  Referenced from: <9B35B71B-E9B9-3453-A63D-84591BCB4141> /Users/cosimo/PAServer/scratch-dir/cosim-Mac Mini M1/myPFA.app/Contents/MacOS/myPFA

... etc. etc.

At the very end, how did you manage to solve your problem? Do you know about some configuration that can work properly?

I am afraid I cannot help much. As described in the referenced thread... (I haven't changed this configuration since it got it working)

iOS 15.1 - FMX - Delphi-PRAXiS [en] (delphipraxis.net)

Reformatted the Mac, installed maOS Big Sur, an older version of Xcode. Things now work as advertised with Delphi 11.

Delphi 11 plus November and January patch
Hardware: M1 (2020) Mac running macOS Big Sur
Xcode 13.2

Edited by Alexander Halser

Many thanks Alexander for your reply.

Well, I'll try BigSur with Xcode 13.2 then, and let'see what happens... Delphi side I'm with 10.4 CE, therefore the configuration (and the PAServer release) should not be identical to yours. But let's hope to be lucky anyhow.