dummzeuch

Finding GUIDs with GExperts Grep

I recently had a problem with access violations when calling methods of interfaces. The reason turned out to be duplicate GUIDs in the interface declarations. This caused AVs because the wrong methods were called and the parameters passed to them were not of the right type and numbers. Duplicate GUIDs are usually caused by copying existing interfaces and changing them, without also generating a GUID for the copy. (Btw: The Hotkey for generating a new GUID in the Delphi IDE is Ctrl+Shift+G.)

So I looked for a way to find all interfaces and their GUIDs in my program.

https://blog.dummzeuch.de/2019/02/16/finding-guids-with-gexperts-grep/

To efficiently work with Regular Expressions in the GExperts Grep Search dialog I suggest:

• Implement customizable RegularExpression TEMPLATES in the GExperts Grep Search dialog (because inserting a regular expression like

\['\{[0-9A-F]{8}-[0-9A-F]{4}-[0-9A-F]{4}-[0-9A-F]{4}-[0-9A-F]{12}\}'\]

with a single mouse-click would definitely be an advantage)

• Make the GExperts Grep Search dialog resizable

Another very useful option in the GExperts Grep Search dialog would be an option to extend the search scope to all unit file contents contained in the uses clause(s) of the current file/project. But that would involve solving the problem of retrieving the paths of the used units.

25 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

Even better: Save and recall complete searches including ALL settings in the Grep Search dialog.

I said it before (to somebody else on a different topic: Please file a feature request on SourceForge.

That way all these are in one place and whenever I find time I can look if something there looks interesting. Anything mentioned only here will most likely be forgotten in no time.

(And no: I am not going to write these feature request entries for people who can't be bothered. I prefer spending my time on more interesting things. You get to use GExperts free of charge and profit from my work, so do your duty. - Sorry if this sounds harsh, but my time is limited.)

Edited by dummzeuch
  • Like 1

Dear Thomas, I have not requested that you write these feature request entries. I just wanted to contribute to the general discussion. I didn't know that I have a duty. Thanks anyway.

Edited by PeterPanettone

3 hours ago, PeterPanettone said:

Dear Thomas, I have not requested that you write these feature request entries. I just wanted to contribute to the general discussion. I didn't know that I have a duty. Thanks anyway.

No, you don't have a duty. But neither have I. Sorry if that sounded harsh (always remember: English is not my native tongue, some fine points always get lost in translation). It's just that some people (not you!) seem to think they have the right to demand features and waste my time which I want to spend on things that is fun to do. You were the 5th one today who wrote a suggestion (I'm not saying that these are bad suggestions either!) and I got really tired pointing out that there is such a thing as the feature request form on Sourceforge for exactly that. GExperts is an open source project. Everybody has the code and can contribute. But only very few do. I can't even find people who regularly test new features or bug fixes with the Delphi versions I myself don't use.

Dear Thomas, I understand you perfectly and I agree with you. I greatly appreciate your valuable work and as soon as my financial situation allows it I will make a substantial donation to your project.

I also had a look at the source code. It is very complex and I fear that I would make things worse if I change something.