Sign in to follow this  
stacker_liew

Prevent Delphi IDE Multiple Instance

Multiple instances of the same version or multiple versions?

What is causing multiple instances to run?

8 hours ago, SwiftExpat said:

Multiple instances of the same version or multiple versions?

What is causing multiple instances to run?

My accidentally click twice.

A simple solution would be to load GExperts, it already has a check on IDE start that would catch that.

image.thumb.png.cc863e2d6f4674f9f656ec345933ecb6.png

1 hour ago, SwiftExpat said:

A simple solution would be to load GExperts, it already has a check on IDE start that would catch that.

image.thumb.png.cc863e2d6f4674f9f656ec345933ecb6.png

I already installed GExpert, but I don't know whether there is an option for Delphi IDE to have TJvAppInstance functionality?

You could write your own expert and install it in the IDE.  Nothing native that I am aware of.

What functionality are you looking for from TJvAppInstance? What is the workflow you are expecting when you accidently click twice?

I have a proven procedure. I close one IDE instance:classic_smile: I have small projects:classic_cheerleader:

On the other hand, I have a problem that the IDE sometimes starts itself multiple times. And even during work. If I don't realize it, I cry.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Stano said:

If I don't realize it, I cry

Cry because both instances have the same source open and edits overwrite each other?

Maybe we can dry those tears, but let's understand the problem.

I love that proven procedure above, rest assured we all have our proven procedures with the IDE  🙂

Nothing was overwritten. Because I always had only one instance displayed! But I saw more instances in task manager. Usually two. Both instances went to 30%. The responses were long and sometimes it was impossible to do anything. I already knew how much it beats.
Fortunately, it calmed down.

I added my vote, a direct solution would be the best. I doubt this will get much traction, I see you waiting since 10.3.

As a workaround, what does GExperts not solve? (it is not the cleanest, but add some requirements and at least someone can evaluate it for a expert)

1. Identify second instance - Solved, you have the screen above
  2. Close second instance - easy, just get the PID of ide and kill it / close it
  3.  switch to first? - is this really necessary?

I would probably never use this option as long as it doesn't take the IDE version and the given registry option (-r) into account. It is not uncommon for me to have about half a dozen instances running side by side. On the other hand, I rarely have some unwanted ones opening unexpectedly.

Like a call. I am attaching screenshots of task manager and taskbar. I certainly didn't run the IDE multiple times. I didn't even do anything in it at all!!! It just told me there was a new EurakLog and I dropped the IDE.

I added my vote,

2022 07 10 09 34 56 Správca_úloh.png

2022 07 10 09 35 38 Správca_úloh.png

2022 07 10 09 38 44.png

I basically do nothing with shortcuts. I don't change their settings. In no program. I did not make any entry into the IDE!
It doesn't make sense to me either. Same thing on Forum Delphi.cz.
Unfortunately, the pictures speak clearly to the problem. Now it only happens sporadically. I somehow don't deal with it anymore.

They're having fun with me. Things happen to me that no one has ever heard of. I always have to be something extra:classic_rolleyes: I'm not happy about it:classic_wacko:

I don't know about the mouse sending me a double click or more instead of a single click. I threw away such a mouse once.

Edited by Stano

I have one more specialty. Usually when I first open a file during a session I have the text shifted two characters to the left.

2022 07 10 11 24 54 OverAllResult_-_Delphi_11_-_Competition_Round.png

1 hour ago, Stano said:

the pictures speak clearly to the problem

You show 2 instances of the IDE @ 28% cpu usage with only .2mb of memory. The executable is not even loaded into memory at that point, it seems like there are not enough resources.

Is this a VM or physical machine? How old is the machine?

I didn't notice the memory usage.

It is a physical machine. He is 4 years old. There are enough funds for my work there.

Current status.

2022 07 10 12 43 52 Správca_úloh.png

1 hour ago, Stano said:

There are enough funds for my work there.

My laptop is similar age and memory, but Delphi runs good enough. Startup is about 10 seconds.

If it was my machine I would be starting with a clean OS install & clean Delphi.  These symptoms are going to take you longer to troubleshoot and keep you crying.

A clean install is the last thing I want to do. It's not that terrible. When it gets unbearable, I will need to buy a new PC:classic_biggrin: I can't install W11 on the current one.

On 7/10/2022 at 1:46 AM, Stano said:

Nothing was overwritten. Because I always had only one instance displayed! But I saw more instances in task manager. Usually two. Both instances went to 30%. The responses were long and sometimes it was impossible to do anything. I already knew how much it beats.
Fortunately, it calmed down.

Sometimes the IDE won't close probably event user had select exit or click the windows close button, still we have to use task manager to force close it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, stacker_liew said:

Sometimes the IDE won't close probably event user had select exit or click the windows close button, still we have to use task manager to force close it.

This could be implemented in an expert by displaying a screen on startup which allows you to terminate the old instance. Not technically a prevention of multiple instances, but cleaner than having to start task manager.
I can see this as a common frustration that can be solved, I add it to my list to explore as an enhancement.

On 7/10/2022 at 2:26 AM, Uwe Raabe said:

I would probably never use this option as long as it doesn't take the IDE version and the given registry option (-r) into account

One more requirement check the username, I have a separate demo user account that I often switch to.