Nigel Thomas

Community Edition expiring again, no new keys

Hi all,

My D10.4.2 Community Edition licence expired today. When I request a new licence from:

Download the Free Delphi: Community Edition - Embarcadero

I receive the following email:

Subject: Thank You For Downloading Delphi 10.4.2 Sydney Community Edition

Our records show that you have previously obtained a trial license for this product and version. A trial license can be issued only once. If you would like to extend the product evaluation, please contact Embarcadero Support at www.embarcadero.com/support.

I seem to recall that this exact issue happened last year, when Embarcadero said it was a glitch. Looks like the glitch is still there?

Nigel

Same situation here. I have contacted Embarcadero Support, as written in that e-mail, have you?

For reference, this was discussed before too:

4 hours ago, Ailur said:

Same situation here. I have contacted Embarcadero Support, as written in that e-mail, have you?

For reference, this was discussed before too:

Seems like it is not a glitch but a feature. I have the same shit again.

I'm also using the Community Edition and I'm now reluctant to close the IDE in case I also run into this "expired" issue.

However I note that my license states its expiry date is unlimited.

delphi.thumb.png.c105a4104c8a6123c7dd3796ba6c6706.png

Edited by angusj

I tried using the Support link, but only received a vanilla response:

The Delphi Community Edition product is supported differently from the other Embarcadero products. Since these products are not eligible for update subscription the Support for these products is only available in the Community Forums,  Embarcadero online documentation and the product Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).

To extend the use of your community edition license please refer to the instructions on the Community Edition FAQ:

https://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi/starter/faq

Instruction for extending the license are found in articles 20 and 28

Perhaps @Marco Cantucould get the right people informed?

The same with me:

"Our records show that you have previously obtained a trial license for this product and version. A trial license can be issued only once. If you would like to extend the product evaluation, please contact Embarcadero Support

Thank you,
Embarcadero Team"

Then, Embarcadero Support answered me:

"We received your request to increase the registration limit for Delphi Promotional Community Edition. This promotional product has a limit of three (3) registration per user. Increasing the number of registrations is not available at this time."

Yes, I used Delphi CE 3 times - in 2020, 2021, and 2022 obtaining a new license after expiration.

• Sad 1

Can you create a new user account with a new name or does it check the ip address where the community version is installed? 

7 hours ago, Antonk said:

The same with me:

"Our records show that you have previously obtained a trial license for this product and version. A trial license can be issued only once. If you would like to extend the product evaluation, please contact Embarcadero Support

Thank you,
Embarcadero Team"

Then, Embarcadero Support answered me:

"We received your request to increase the registration limit for Delphi Promotional Community Edition. This promotional product has a limit of three (3) registration per user. Increasing the number of registrations is not available at this time."

Yes, I used Delphi CE 3 times - in 2020, 2021, and 2022 obtaining a new license after expiration.

What that mean? So we can use 3 times (years) and then goodbye? Is here anybody from Embarcadero and could answer about this problem? 

3 hours ago, hsauro said:

Can you create a new user account with a new name or does it check the ip address where the community version is installed? 

I think it is possible - new registration with a new email allows you to obtain a new license, but it is inconvenient for many users.

6 hours ago, Antonk said:

I think it is possible - new registration with a new email allows you to obtain a new license, but it is inconvenient for many users.

I agree, what it means is the company hasn’t thought this through properly. I suspect there is a tension between the embarcardero employees we know and who’d like to see the Delphi community to grow and upper management who see the short term loss of dollars and probably would like to see the community edition go away. What we have is a compromise between the two groups.

François Piette wanted me to forward this message from Delphi Developer on facebook, so here it is (note I'm the messenger)

"I think that the 3 registrations is for the same serial number that you get for one year. You get a new one each year. Why do you need more than 3 registration? Did you reformat your computer? If you have to reformat so often then consider making a full bakcup right after a fresh install with everything you need and then when you feel necessary to refresh you computer, don't reformat but restore your backup. Your Delphi registration will still be there."

49 minutes ago, hsauro said:

François Piette wanted me to forward this message from Delphi Developer on facebook, so here it is (note I'm the messenger)

"I think that the 3 registrations is for the same serial number that you get for one year. You get a new one each year. Why do you need more than 3 registration? Did you reformat your computer? If you have to reformat so often then consider making a full bakcup right after a fresh install with everything you need and then when you feel necessary to refresh you computer, don't reformat but restore your backup. Your Delphi registration will still be there."

I installed Delphi CE on one single laptop with this serial number and did not use this serial number anywhere else. As I remember, I did not "reformat" my laptop.

48 minutes ago, Oberon82 said:

Can anyone from EMB explain how to solve this issue?

This forum is not supported/sponsored by Embarcadero or Idera. You cannot expect an answer here. (Lately they don't feel any need to anser any of the product related questions.)

Hi all,

I emailed @Marco Cantu and he has replied promptly. They are aware of the issue with renewing CE licences and are working on a solution, although he says it may take some days to implement.

2 hours ago, Nigel Thomas said:

I emailed @Marco Cantu and he has replied promptly. They are aware of the issue with renewing CE licences and are working on a solution, although he says it may take some days to implement.

They are only just now working on this? When CE was first introduced several years ago, they didn't think this might be a problem down the line? They've had 3 years to fix it, what are they hoping to do in a few days?

• Like 2

Initially, it was assumed that the community edition would be updated before the expiration of the license, simultaneously with the release of a new version of IDE. But then they changed their mind.

And I still think Idera has the math all wrong. If they sold Delphi Developer at 1/3 the current price, I believe they'd more than triple their sales. As a hobby developer I'd be prepared to spend that instead of using the CE, which I'm currently using.

Edit: At the very least Idera should do some market research and ask CE users what they'd be prepared to spend for the Developer edition. Heaven forbid, they might even attract some new developers instead of just bleeding their current user base.

Edited by angusj
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, angusj said:

And I still think Idera has the math all wrong. If they sold Delphi Developer at 1/3 the current price, I believe they'd more than triple their sales. As a hobby developer I'd be prepared to spend that instead of using the CE, which I'm currently using.

Edit: At the very least Idera should do some market research and ask CE users what they'd be prepared to spend for the Developer edition. Heaven forbid, they might even attract some new developers instead of just bleeding their current user base.

Emb must attract new users, however it's include not only lower price for SKU but also compilation for linux in CE edition.  As almost all solutions are written for linux. Share of delphi in open source is miserable.

• Like 1

We know everything that is written on this WEB:classic_rolleyes: Only the EMB does not know:classic_ohmy::classic_blink:

Unfortunately, they don't want to listen to us:classic_angry: Managers are the smartest people in the world:classic_cheerleader: We're just crying over spilled milk here.

On 7/24/2022 at 2:47 AM, Nigel Thomas said:

I seem to recall that this exact issue happened last year, when Embarcadero said it was a glitch. Looks like the glitch is still there?

It's not exactly a glitch, it's how the CE licenses are set up by definition. They last one year. What we did last year and we did again (should be active now, it was completed earlier today) is to allow CE users to apply for a new license key for their existing version. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Marco Cantu said:

It's not exactly a glitch, it's how the CE licenses are set up by definition. They last one year. What we did last year and we did again (should be active now, it was completed earlier today) is to allow CE users to apply for a new license key for their existing version. 

Calling it a glitch was everybody being polite. Do you really want to hear the non-polite version(s)?

4 hours ago, Brian Evans said:

Calling it a glitch was everybody being polite. Do you really want to hear the non-polite version(s)?

You are using it for free. What ever they decide to do with her work is only up to them. Why do you think there are rights on your side?
For sure the communication could be better. But... use a commercial version and be a customer and not a consument....

• Like 2