DavidWW

Debug / Release config has no effect

I have tried building my app in both Delphi 11.1 (WIn11 PC) & Delphi XE3 (Win10 PC) in both Debug and Release config but the exe is always exactly the same size in both configs. The Project Options show the same settings for Compiling | Debugging for both configs so I set the Release Config options to:

• Debug information: None / False
  • Local Symbols: false
  • Symbol Reference info: None
  • Use debug .dcus: false

Then OK

But after I Build the app and go back to the Project options, the Debug information and Local Symbols settings are back to True. This happens in both Delphi XE3 and Delphi 11.1

Is there some magic trick to get the debug settings to stick and actually have some effect on the size of the EXE?

10 minutes ago, DavidWW said:

Is there some magic trick to get the debug settings to stick

I would rather like to know which magic makes your system behave different than most others.

32 minutes ago, DavidWW said:

Is there some magic trick to get the debug settings to stick and actually have some effect on the size of the EXE?

As Uwe said: Since this works for most others (it definitely works for me), the question is rather what is broken in your System?

As a first step, start with a new project and test whether it works there. If it does, there is probably something wrong with the dproj file of the non-working project.

The two are on separate PCs, one PC is Win10, D XE3 (and D11.1  -but I'm not using that at the moment) and the new PC is Win11 with D11.1 The project file originated with the XE3 version.

... I rebuilt the whole app from a blank project, just copying across the pas & dfm files and only adding other stuff as the compiler complained so it is as clean a source as I can get. On the 'old' projects where I can't set Debug / Release, the EXE always compiled at about 33Mb. On the new project the Debug version compiles to 84Mb and the Release version is 37Mb. So there is now a difference between Debug & Release but the EXE is now 4Mb bigger than with the old, dirty, code and project file.