Tom F

Mojave with RAD Studio 10.2.3?

We have a stable shipping MacOS product (50,000 LOC) that we developed over the past few years with RAD Studio 10.2 Update 3 and MacOS Sierra (10.12.4).  It was originally written for the VCL ten years ago.  We continue to develop the VCL version, but share a lot of non-UI code with the FMX version.  For our needs, cross-platform development with RAD Studio has worked wonderfully.

We thought now would be a good time update to Mojave on the Macs to make sure our products remain current. 

Frankly, the cross-platform tools have (thankfully) hidden what goes on behind the scenes, so I haven't had to learn anything about Xcode, etc.  Thus this question:

I know there are no guarantees, but should I expect RAD Studio 10.2.3 work with the Mojave (and XCode 9.2 that it installs?)  Perhaps I'll just have to redeploy the PAServer?  Or will I have to upgrade to Rio?  We have a full subscription to Rio, but even after the recent update, for it, we're still quite nervous about making the jump from Tokyo to Rio. The few 3rd party add-ins that we use are available in Rio.  However, having seen the problems that some forum members here have reported, we're hesitant to upgrade to Rio.  :classic_sad:

One other comment: if EMB fails to deliver in a timely manner a viable version that allows us to create 64 bit Mac apps, we'll be really, REALLY unhappy  that we'll be unable to ship our product.  Hopefully, Macro and others at EMB are listening and understand how critical this capability is for those of us who trusted EMB by chosing to build MacOS apps with RAD Studio.  I hope that our trust wasn't misplaced.

Move to Rio for Mojave, it just behaves better. And concerning the 64Bit macOS Apps, just wait a little bit longer. I just did the jump to Rio yesterday, iOS Apps and macOS work just fine, at first and second glance. Mojave is up next for me today...wish me luck.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tom F said:

One other comment: if EMB fails to deliver in a timely manner a viable version that allows us to create 64 bit Mac apps, we'll be really, REALLY unhappy  that we'll be unable to ship our product. 

If Apple keep their update frequency, the non 32Bit macOS will touch the ground in Sept. this year.

The 64Bit macOS compiler is shifted to version 10.3.x.  

Rio was released at 21.Nov. 2018. It took 3 month to release service pack 1 for "only" some bug fixes.

If you look back to the other deadlines for Delphi: Like iOS 64 Bit, Android API level,  ...

It's hard to believe that the new macOS compiler will be available in time.

8 hours ago, Sherlock said:

Mojave is up next for me today...wish me luck.

Let us know how it goes.

14 hours ago, Tom F said:

I know there are no guarantees, but should I expect RAD Studio 10.2.3 work with the Mojave (and XCode 9.2 that it installs?)  Perhaps I'll just have to redeploy the PAServer?

Tokyo can compile apps for Mojave, but you have to use XCode 9.X.X, because different versions of XCode have different versions of SDK. And Tokyo does not work with fresh SDK, at least not out of the box. Also, debugger on Mojave does not work. 10.3 Rio can work with any existing version of XCode, but also has troubles with debugger. You have to launch app without debugger, and then attach to running app.

9 minutes ago, Микола Петрівський said:

Tokyo can compile apps for Mojave, but you have to use XCode 9.X.X, because different versions of XCode have different versions of SDK. And Tokyo does not work with fresh SDK, at least not out of the box. Also, debugger on Mojave does not work. 10.3 Rio can work with any existing version of XCode, but also has troubles with debugger. You have to launch app without debugger, and then attach to running app.

Thankfully, RAD Studio up until now has shielded me from having to know anything about Xcode. I'd just install RAD Studio and PAServer and everything would work.

If I upgrade in place from Sierra to Mojave, does XCode 9.x.x remain installed on the machine?  Do I have to uninstall more recent XCodes, or can different versions co-exist?  

It appears that I can download XCode 9.x.x. from here: https://developer.apple.com/download/more/. Is the installation of that download straight-forward to a newcomer?

Manually attaching the debugger is an unfortunate time-waster.  I hope EMB has prioritized a fix for that too.

3 minutes ago, Tom F said:

If I upgrade in place from Sierra to Mojave, does XCode 9.x.x remain installed on the machine?  Do I have to uninstall more recent XCodes, or can different versions co-exist?  

It appears that I can download XCode 9.x.x. from here: https://developer.apple.com/download/more/. Is the installation of that download straight-forward to a newcomer?

XCodes can coexist, but only one of them will be default. RAD Studio uses default XCode to get SDK. I usually just rename nondefault XCodes to something like "XCode 1010.app", and default remains "XCode.app". Installation of new XCode via AppStore usually replaces current default one. But if you download archive, then you can choose what to do.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Tom F said:

Let us know how it goes.

Everything worked out fine. Took more than an hour, because after upgrading to 10.14, macOS discovered there is something called 10.14.3 available, and installing that took some time again. Delphi-wise I still can't use the 64Bit iOS-Simulators, but apart from that, everything is A-OK.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Attila Kovacs said:

öööööööö, if not, you could try an AEG. 😉

😄 Nah, AEG ceased to be AEG a long time ago.

13 hours ago, Attila Kovacs said:

@Sherlock I mean "Aussteigen, Einsteigen, Geht" 😄

Ooooh, in that case: Rio is getting there. Seriously!

On 2/20/2019 at 8:38 PM, Eli M. said:

Apple claims to be moving to allow iPad apps through Marzipan on macOS before the end of 2019.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-02-20/apple-is-said-to-target-combining-iphone-ipad-mac-apps-by-2021

Thanks for the info, I had heard about "Marzipan" with one ear, but I'm not too deep into Apple developments.

How do they handle Beta versions of XCode, OS, etc., do you have experience with that ?
Would be also important for EMBT to have a well working Beta in hand soon enough.
I hope their Beta policy avoids sudden changes before the final release is launched.

Edited by Rollo62