mvanrijnen

Postgresql in the cloud, possible for Desktop App?

Hi,just curious.

Anyone experience with using PostgreSql in the cloud (eg google for example), for use in a Windows Desktop application? 

(have a small app, and the persons using it would like to use it on multiple locations, so i am looking for an easy way out 🙂.)

28 minutes ago, Bob Devine said:

I'm about to start using this: https://supabase.com/

It has a Rest API but I haven't tried it from Delphi yet.

I discovered there are some more PostgreSQL cloud providers (dedicated or shared). 

I'm testing with one now, looks ok right now. 

(i want to prevent rewriting the app to using rest api's etc, instead of querying the DB directly),

You really, really, REALLY don't want to expose direct DB queries to your database.
A proper scalable and securable REST frontend is a must, IMO - unless it is some basement hobbyist project.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Lars Fosdal said:

You really, really, REALLY don't want to expose direct DB queries to your database.
A proper scalable and securable REST frontend is a must, IMO - unless it is some basement hobbyist project.

I know, but it's just a very small app (semi hobby).

Besides that, i wonder if its so not done to go that direction (with which i basicly fully agree), why there are so many providers, exposing databases as a "cloudservice"? 

Other question, what would be the best way to make rest services available for a smapp app, (low cost), save and secure ? 

(at work we use radserver and all kinds of dedicated servers, firewalls, proxy's, certificates etc etc, can not do that for this small projetc)

Without having to administer webservers, certificates etc.  (somekind of appliance i can start in the cloud, upload a dll or cgi/isapi module and publish webservice, private&secure)

(developed with Delphi, eg.  MARS as rest framework)

Edited by mvanrijnen

yes, i already use only SSL, but i think i go another way.

I'm thinking of writing a custom server (using e.g. MARS framework), and then use a service like ngrOK to expose the services. 

only figure out how to keep it 100% private, put a certificate or something with secrets in it.