SwiftExpat

11.2 Pre-Upgrade Checklist / back out plan

I am a systems administrator and with every upgrade there is always risk and someone's system becomes unusable. To avoid some grief here is a pre-check list of the basics from a system level to help put together a back out plan.

1. Full backup via system image

• As always, data loss is unacceptable and not being able to roll back is unacceptable. Take a system image.

2. Source files - Branch or Backup

• I plan to branch my projects for the first few days in 11.2 so I have a rollback.  Anything that is not in source control should obviously get a snapshot via zip or backup software.

3. Registry export

reg export HKCU\SOFTWARE\Embarcadero\BDS\22.0 Pre_11_2_BkUp.reg

Always have a backup, and read the release notes / known issues before you upgrade.

No need for good luck with this upgrade, you have a back-out plan !

• Like 6

Alternatively you could use a VM, like VmWare.

Just duplicate the whole current active image as backup, instead of fiddeling around with backup software within a VM.

Migrate to a bew version:

Duplicate the current active image into a new image

Cleanup the copied, new image without hesitating too much, just brutally throw out all unnecessary stuff and clean everything (you could even start from a brand-new, clean VM, but this is rarely necessary).

Resize and shrink the cleaned VM afterwards.

Install the new version in the new image and test it.

In case everything works fine for you, you don't even need to copy anything around.

Just keep the new image and mark it as current image from now, while you can mark and use the last current image as backup.

Just use a VM. Problem with an update, something not working as it should? Just roll back. Takes just a couple of seconds and you can be sure everything is in a state that is working fine.

Can 11.2 be installed over 11.1 or upgrade 11.1 to 11.2 without removing 11.1?

Edited by softtouch

Just installed - coming from 11.1. Getting an A/V in module 'rtl280.bpl' on closing the IDE. Get the error regardless of a project is started/opened or just closing right when hitting the Welcome Screen.

I've uninstalled and cleaned registry/directories- reinstalled, and still get the same issue. I did have an MSBUILD.*.ni.dll issue originally, but did a repair in Visual Studio that remedied that.

Any ideas?

1 hour ago, softtouch said:

Can 11.2 be installed over 11.1 or upgrade 11.1 to 11.2 without removing 11.1?

You will still have to remove 1.1, but you can run the migration tool to save your settings.  The "get it" packages for me didn't all install properly, so I had to grab those separately after.  

11 hours ago, Steven Kamradt said:

You will still have to remove 1.1, but you can run the migration tool to save your settings.  The "get it" packages for me didn't all install properly, so I had to grab those separately after.  

Why can't I have 11.1 and 11.2?

I have installed 10.3 and 10.4 versions.

6 minutes ago, ŁukaszDe said:

Why can't I have 11.1 and 11.2?

I have installed 10.3 and 10.4 versions.

10.3 and 10.4 were major versions. Then you got 10.3.n and 10.4.n as incremental upgrades. 
They changed this with version 11.
11.0, 11.1 and 11.2 are the same version.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2